Do sunflower seastars have a predator?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Sea of Green

Do sunflower seastars have a predator?

Post by Sea of Green »

I did a dive today at the Oil Dock. It's not unusual to see dozens of sunflower seastars there, but today even surprised me, there had to be hundreds of them, I couldn't believe it! My question is, why are they so prolific at the Oil Dock? What controls their population, i.e. what eats them, besides each other? BTW, it was a great dive, vis was a good 30ft, lots of ratfish and other marine life, including an enormous number of sunflower seastars.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

There are three types of other Seastars that prey on the Sunflower Star - all are called Sun Stars and are in the Solaster genus:

Dawson's Sun Star
Stimpsons Sun Star
Orange Sun Star

Guess there's not many of those around at the oil dock?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You forgot one - a sunflower star will eat another sunflower star if given the opportunity!!! :pale:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Do sunflower seastars have a predator?

Post by nwscubamom »

Sea of Green wrote: i.e. what eats them, besides each other?
Doug, I'm thinkin' he already knew that ;)

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:

#-o Reading... :dontknow: It gets me every time. ](*,)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There are lots of mussels at the oil dock, the sunstars and ratfish are there for those yummy mussels.

While somewhat out of favor there are some ecological concepts pertinent here. "Top down" and "Bottom up"

Top down means something (including an entire ecosystem) is controlled by large predatory stuff at the top of the food chain. Squid and herring are good examples. They have a vast reproductive capacity and their populations are predominantly controlled by predation (includng fishing)

Bottom up is the reverse, where reproductive capacity and/or food supply limits the planet being overrun by some critter(s).

Sunflower stars are more "bottom up" and more limited by food and intraspecific space than by predators. Orcas are also bottom up.

As I said, these concepts are not the current hot topic in ecology - but they illustrate that its not just predation that keeps us form being overrun by seastars. :)
kjc
Aquaphile

Stew???

Post by kjc »

CaptnJack wrote:There are lots of mussels at the oil dock, the sunstars and ratfish are there for those yummy mussels.

While somewhat out of favor there are some ecological concepts pertinent here. "Top down" and "Bottom up"

Top down means something (including an entire ecosystem) is controlled by large predatory stuff at the top of the food chain. Squid and herring are good examples. They have a vast reproductive capacity and their populations are predominantly controlled by predation (includng fishing)

Bottom up is the reverse, where reproductive capacity and/or food supply limits the planet being overrun by some critter(s).

Sunflower stars are more "bottom up" and more limited by food and intraspecific space than by predators. Orcas are also bottom up.

As I said, these concepts are not the current hot topic in ecology - but they illustrate that its not just predation that keeps us form being overrun by seastars. :)

Wwwweeellll then......

Why don't you make us all an Egg Head & Sea Star Stew?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Stew???

Post by CaptnJack »

kjc wrote: Wwwweeellll then......

Why don't you make us all an Egg Head & Sea Star Stew?
You're the cook :partyman:
kjc
Aquaphile

eeeeyyy'ee Capt'n....

Post by kjc »

wok on bye, wok on bye....

I'll wok all over uuuu......

It's a beautiful day....

Let us slip away....

It's a beautiful day....
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

nwscubamom wrote:

Like in this picture. We saw a 3-way version of this picture during the dive. This pic was also taken at the Oil Dock several years ago.

Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

CaptnJack wrote:There are lots of mussels at the oil dock, the sunstars and ratfish are there for those yummy mussels.

So translated that means there's lots of food and space for them at the Oil Dock?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yup

Kevin you're into oriental food, do they fry up good?
kjc
Aquaphile

eeewww....

Post by kjc »

CaptnJack wrote:Yup

Sea Star Tripe?

Huh?

I've never tried....nor will I.

My thought is, NO!

Other wise there probably would have already been a commercial harvest for them.

The dynamics of what is up and what is down would have been turned sideways by now if that were true.
Sea of Green

Re: eeewww....

Post by Sea of Green »

kjc wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Yup

Sea Star Tripe?

Huh?

I've never tried....nor will I.

My thought is, NO!

Other wise there probably would have already been a commercial harvest for them.

The dynamics of what is up and what is down would have been turned sideways by now if that were true.
Well if not even Kevin will eat them, that explains why they're so abundant! :vom: (Just pokin' ya in the ribs, Kevin!)
kjc
Aquaphile

Re: eeewww....

Post by kjc »

Sea of Green wrote:Just pokin' ya in the ribs, Kevin!)

wwhheewww.....

Greenie is a player!