Diver Incident in the San Juan's

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Diver Incident in the San Juan's

Post by DiverDown »

LINK

I hope that everthing turns out good in that incident. I always hate to hear about these things...
Who run barter town?
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

That's terrible. We were just diving there a few weeks ago and will be there again in early Aug.

There is not much info as too what occurred yet. I am interested in finding out the details as they get released. I hope she is OK.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; that totally sucks. couldn't find much else for an update.
(seattle times article)

mark and i (and sounder) just finished our advanced scuba diver course today, and all i can say is that i hope i never have to actually use those skills for anything this serious ... and that i have a new-found respect for the hard work that rescue professionals do.

i really hope the woman is okay.
Last edited by thelawgoddess on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

ok, so far the less than a rumor says 45' 10 minutes 25 year old female goes unconcious. A vailiant rescue and a prompt response from the CG, and a heart beat at the hospital. So far, that's it, speculations aside, she and the people involved, my positive thoughts.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hats off to the Bellingham district, a 14 min response time is outstanding. I hope it made a difference.

Richard
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

thelawgoddess wrote:mark and i (and sounder) just finished our advanced scuba diver course today, and all i can say is that i hope i never have to actually use those skills for anything this serious ... and that i have a new-found respect for the hard work that rescue professionals do.
Actually, that was Advanced Scuba Rescue Diver course ... and you both did an awesome job of it ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Hats off to the Bellingham district, a 14 min response time is outstanding. I hope it made a difference.

Richard
No kidding! 14 minutes from dispatch to scene is fantastic! =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Grateful Diver wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote:mark and i (and sounder) just finished our advanced scuba diver course today, and all i can say is that i hope i never have to actually use those skills for anything this serious ... and that i have a new-found respect for the hard work that rescue professionals do.
Actually, that was Advanced Scuba Rescue Diver course ... and you both did an awesome job of it ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
oops; thanks for the correction. (for those of you that dive with me, i actually do hope to use - or already use - the skills i learned in my advanced scuba diver course!) i meant to say "rescue" before, and that error was actually related to the "new-found respect" i was referring to - i was so incredibly tired just doing the rescue course. i didn't realize how truly physically demanding this work could be, and i think we are pretty lucky to have people (like the coast guard in this case) who dedicate their lives to helping others in this way.
my FLICKR photo sets
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Woman dies after diving accident on Lummi Island

Post by Ken G »

Looks like she did not make it....

I could not find anything else on it. I wonder how it went down.

Its sad to hear about these things happening. Especially so close to home

UPDATED AT 3:41 P.M.

"BELLINGHAM — A 25-year-old Seattle woman who was found floating unconscious off the Lummi Rocks on Saturday died Tuesday morning, according to the Whatcom County medical examiner's office.

Jennifer Coyne was participating in a chartered diving trip, said Chief Criminal Deputy Jeff Parks of the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office. "It is a death investigation," Parks said. "But it appears on the face of it that it was accidental and that it occurred while she was diving."

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/256/story/138953.html
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Thats a bummer, My thoughts go to her family and freinds...
Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

that really sucks. every time i hear about another tragedy or near-tragedy it is very sad. my thoughts go out to her friends and family.
my FLICKR photo sets
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I have some new infomation regarding this death. The woman died from an aneurism but just happened to be diving at the time.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

How do you know that?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

It came from someone who was on the boat. I have to assume that an autopsy was just completed and this was the result. I don't "know it" in the sense that I can post a link.

I will add however that this person told me that the victim had died well before I ever saw it in print so I will assume that this info is also correct.

I was up in Anacortes the day that this happened (not on the boat), got some initial info from the charter captain and the rest from a passenger.