Diving volunteer opportunities?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

You guys almost had me... ](*,)

I would like to help out though in upkeep of sites or something.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

TCWestby wrote:You guys almost had me... ](*,)

I would like to help out though in upkeep of sites or something.
You should hook up with the EUP crew - they're always looking for help keeping the park up. That's probably the most regular opportunity and it'll strengthen your diving skills doing work underwater.

But, if you're ever feeling a desperate need to pitch in, just let me know and I'll strip out of my BC in the water so you can carry it back to the car for me. Be sure to sign Valerie's DCP liability waiver first so we can stay within the rules. :book:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Thanks for the info everyone...

Sparky, I am going to contact the King County Sheriff and my local Kirkland PD. The county has a dive unit web page, but lists no volunteer opportunities. The PD web site doesn't mention divers, I bet they get that service from the county, but I'm checking anyway.

Jenn, thanks for the info. It sounds like they have enough people so I will pass for now--I'm more interested in public safety type work and I am not so good with kids. :)

I had forgotten all about EUP needing volunteers too, I'll check that out. Learning to work underwater is definitely one of my interests.

WRT the "Big Buddy" idea--I am in favor of anything that gets less experienced divers paired up with more experienced divers. Every local I have met has been great to me, a newb, so there is no shortage of good will... but making anything official is tough.

And how do you reach the divers who need help the most? They ain't here. You'd have to get instructors telling new divers about our dive community and web sites like these... and signs at popular sites too. No small job.

You'd have to make it look good to the parties you need participation from--instructors, shops, and local governments.

Washington Safe Diver Initiative
Washington State Safe Divers
Etc.

Everyone seems to think the Sound is littered with dead divers lately, thanks to that article... Is there a way to get some kind of official status for a public service organization from the governor's office?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:Perhaps a "New divers" section of the forum where newly minted divers can post a request for a "big buddy" to dive with them, and a list of volunteers for different area's of the sound to match folks up?

Calvin?
That's actually not a bad idea. I wouldn't be terribly opposed to taking out a newbie or two. :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:Perhaps a "New divers" section of the forum where newly minted divers can post a request for a "big buddy" to dive with them, and a list of volunteers for different area's of the sound to match folks up?
this newbie would be happy to know if there's a Portland "big buddy" out there.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Updates...

I contacted the volunteer coordinator at the King County Sheriff. She said all their divers are officers, and there are no volunteer opportunities.

I have a call in to the dive unit to verify that, and to ask if they know of any other groups I should check with.

I have a call in to the Kirkland PD but I expect that will be a dead end too.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

spatman wrote:
this newbie would be happy to know if there's a Portland "big buddy" out there.
would Seaside work for you there is a few good spots right here on the Oregon Coast

shoot me a email and we will have to hook up I might even let you talk me in to showing you my favorite site Netarts close to home like 60 miles from me and shallow 35 feet max means lots of bottom time

Sparky

and for what its woth
I love the Big Budy idea sign me up you all know thats exatly how I got to be friends with Gratefull diver dont you

when I was newly certified and he was not yet even a DM dam Bobwhere did the time go

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sparky wrote:
would Seaside work for you there is a few good spots right here on the Oregon Coast

shoot me a email and we will have to hook up I might even let you talk me in to showing you my favorite site Netarts close to home like 60 miles from me and shallow 35 feet max means lots of bottom time

Sparky
great! thanks, sparky. i'll be in touch soon.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Matt S. wrote:Updates...

I contacted the volunteer coordinator at the King County Sheriff. She said all their divers are officers, and there are no volunteer opportunities.

I have a call in to the dive unit to verify that, and to ask if they know of any other groups I should check with.

Matt: thats the idea dont give up just keep looking i am sure there is a group in your area that could use a god diver

I wil do some checking for oyu on my end and see if I can get you a lead or two as well

if you are wiling to do a little learning on your own I would recomend you read

get a copy of Encyclopedia of under water investigations

I think this should be required reading for any one even thinking about joinning a URT

www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Underwater-Investigations-Robert-Teather/dp/0941332268/ref=sr_1_1/104-6068456-3534350?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186619817&sr=8-1
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

Matt S. wrote:Updates...

Come join us at the EUP. We are always looking for volunteers. It will make you a better diver.
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Diving volunteer opportunities?

Post by enchantmentdivi »

thelawgoddess wrote: that sounds like fun. is there somewhere online we can find more information about it?
No, no website or anything like that. More info about Salt Water State Park can be found here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?se ... =saltwater And, if you have any specific questions, I can probably answer them.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Matt S. wrote: Jenn, thanks for the info. It sounds like they have enough people so I will pass for now--I'm more interested in public safety type work and I am not so good with kids. :)
Matt,

I can totally understand that how kids can make some people run screaming :vom: and can totally understand how this might not be your bag.

However, if there's anybody else out there, please don't think that a list of 20 divers is enough people. This park sees 300+ school busses a year...most within May and June. The rangers are lucky to get a couple of divers each day because of work schedules, etc. The more volunteers we have, the more chance that they are able to get someone to dive when they need them.

AND, the rangers block off prime parking spaces for their divers! \:D/

So, if anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Jenn
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Matt S. wrote:...And how do you reach the divers who need help the most? They ain't here. You'd have to get instructors telling new divers about our dive community and web sites like these... and signs at popular sites too. No small job.
well, i found this board before i started diving - while i was researching where to take my first course. after i got my first cert i knew the best way for me to work through my apprehensions (which were huge) was to dive as much as i could (and ease into it at a personally-comfortable pace). my significant buddy wasn't always available, though, so i started diving with people from here. they were all experienced divers who were thankfully okay diving within any limitations i wanted to impose. they often gave me pointers, were always patient, and made me feel looked after ... and perhaps most importantly showed me why diving was fun and worthwhile. i really think these dives were incredibly beneficial on a number of levels, and i am truly grateful they were willing to dive with me.

in case i didn't say it before: thank you, guys - you know who you are! :supz:
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Diving volunteer opportunities?

Post by thelawgoddess »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote: that sounds like fun. is there somewhere online we can find more information about it?
No, no website or anything like that. More info about Salt Water State Park can be found here: http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?se ... =saltwater And, if you have any specific questions, I can probably answer them.
okay; i was just wondering what kind of commitment they want, how the process works, etc.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets