Commercial Diver Death in Bellingham

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Commercial Diver Death in Bellingham

Post by Seaslave »

Anyone seen this: Diver dies at BP refinery

Just got back to work and heard about it. There's a big investigation here about it.

Mathue
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hadn't heard about it 'til now. that sucks. :-(
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

What is with all these divers dying recently?! Seriously, this is just ridiculous.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

kind of creepy really. you can bet i'll try to be as thorough as i can next time i'm suiting up to go out, though.
my FLICKR photo sets
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

A freind of mine had worked with this person from time to time. He was pretty upset about it, Though the diver was underwater it seemed to be an industrial accident that was beyond his control in any way.

What I was told was that he was around the 120fsw range when the pile rig broke loose and landed on top of him.
Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

wow; that is harsh. i can't really imagine what it would be like to lose a friend or colleague like that, but i'm sure it's pretty tough.
my FLICKR photo sets
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Whoa, that sucks. Poor guy.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well with all due respect for me even though I am a new diver, I would rather die doing what I enjoy so much. Rather than die with the remote in my hand watching TV. I dont mean to offend anyone I am just making a point that if ti happens to me do NOT and I mean do NOT cry or feel sad for me cause I was where I wanted to be "HAPPY" :prayer:
Jeff Castor
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

DiverDown wrote:Though the diver was underwater it seemed to be an industrial accident that was beyond his control in any way.
What I was told was that he was around the 120fsw range when the pile rig broke loose and landed on top of him.
The depth was more in the 140fsw range. They were driving anchor pilings and the rigging failed on one piling and the diver was crushed and appears to have died from trauma. He never lost his air supply. A rescue diver was sent down and had to redo the rigging and remove the piling before the diver could be brought up for treatment, by then it was to late.