Philippines Adventure!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Philippines Adventure!

Post by KeithBoll »

I recently retired and celebrated by spending a full month diving in the Philippines! I dove/visited four different areas in the Philippines: Anilao; Dumaguete, Moalboal and Malapascua. Each area had its own beauty and certainly stood on its own as a great dive destination.

All the people I met along the way were fantastic! I joined up with Bluewater Travel for a photo workshop at Crystal Blue Resort in Anilao. This was a great way to meet more divers and work on my photo chops. While there, we got to see and snap a lot of macro critters (of course). From a photography perspective - I practices using my Canon 100MM lens with a 10X Diopter to get more details macro pictures. I takes practice - but I am glad that I worked on that skill set. Also - at the end of the first week - my flash controller died - and I could not get a replacement! Fortunately, I had video lights with me - so I took the majority of my pictures (Wide Angle and Macro) with video lights - and no flashes. It was an interesting challenge - and didn't work out too badly.

One of the highlights for me was a night dive (with just me and the divemaster - everyone else was too tired to go!). I got to spend about 15 minutes with a Starry Night Octopus. This was my first time seeing this beautiful creature and the Divemaster said they had not encountered one for over a year.

Dumaguete was also full of macro critters - but different kinds (less nudibranchs) and many cuttlefish, ornate pipefish, seahorses and frogfish.
Moalboal had been hit hard by a hurricane earlier this year - and it was sad to see the damage - both above and below water. I was happy to support these local businesses and dive in their area. Some super high current dives on nearby islands were an absolute blast!
Malapascua was also a fantastic treat - and we had the privilege of sighting a LOT of thresher sharks at dawn, four mornings in a row!
Here are some of my favorite pictures. Hope you don't mind that I post a number of them - after all - I was there for a MONTH!
Attachments
Thresher Shark Pics Taken with only ambient light - took two days to fine tune how to capture these wonderful creatures.
Thresher Shark Pics Taken with only ambient light - took two days to fine tune how to capture these wonderful creatures.
5 Star Photo Philippines-27.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-24.jpg
So many cuttlefish - and so little time!
So many cuttlefish - and so little time!
Very fun to see Whale Sharks in mostly clear water!
Very fun to see Whale Sharks in mostly clear water!
5 Star Photo Philippines-19.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-16.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-15.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-14.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-13.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-12.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-11.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-10.jpg
5 Star Photo Philippines-9.jpg
My first sighting and pic of a Rhinopia
My first sighting and pic of a Rhinopia
Starry Night Octopus - A Highlight of My Trip
Starry Night Octopus - A Highlight of My Trip
5 Star Photo Philippines-5.jpg
Flamboyant Cuttlefish Eggs on a Coconut Shell
Flamboyant Cuttlefish Eggs on a Coconut Shell
5 Star Photo Philippines-3.jpg
My favorite clown frogfish from the trip.
My favorite clown frogfish from the trip.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Philippines Adventure!

Post by Jan K »

Lucky you ! What a great set of photos. You did well indeed without a flash.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great pics Keith!
Cool stuff!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Awesome Pics!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report and pictures!!! 🤗💖🌊🤿💜🐟🤩🖖
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Keith: To say your efforts didn't work out too badly is a huge understatement. The thresher is breathtaking. You are living the dream.
Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Fantastic! Very cool. Thank you for sharing. Would love to go back to the Philippines!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Thanks all for the kind words!
It was certainly a privilege to spend a large amount of time in such a wonderful world of beauty and diversity.
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Vjw »

Awesome pics! We went on a Liveaboard there Dec 2022! It is an amazing place!!