What's the skinny on the T-Dock site@Mukilteo?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RDW
Aquaphile

What's the skinny on the T-Dock site@Mukilteo?

Post by RDW »

I haven't been to the old T-dock site in a few years. Has it been torn apart from construction? Is the site still accessible from the parking lot?
I understood that the plan was to remove all the old pilings to make way for a new dock, pier, etc. Looking to hit some old haunts.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
Sea of Green

Re: What's the skinny on the T-Dock site@Mukilteo?

Post by Sea of Green »

RDW wrote:I haven't been to the old T-dock site in a few years. Has it been torn apart from construction? Is the site still accessible from the parking lot?
I understood that the plan was to remove all the old pilings to make way for a new dock, pier, etc. Looking to hit some old haunts.
Let's go dive it and find out.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The old dock has been torn out, and my understanding is that a bunch of the old pilings have been removed also. (Happened before I started diving there.) They did replace the pier at the NOAA station with one that has concrete pilings. It's easily accessible from the parking lot next to the silver cloud hotel, but parking spaces with easy access are limited.

It's a fun dive and one of my regular spots. See you around.

Jake
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Great place to blow bubbles.

I'm sure that the state will remove the rest of the old pilings somtime though. The thing I wonder about though. Is it really worth removing the old, old pilings? I don't see them leaching petroleum any more, I can understand the newer ones that still are. Is it really that bad of a problem? I'm just wondering if the "eco" benefit is better than the habitat loss?

I'm assuming that sometime in the near future we will also loose the old oil dock as well.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

There is a newish structure there worth mentioning, the "Geodome." Made of pvc, about 10 inch tubes, it is a memorial to a diver who lost his life there. It is spherical (is that a word?), about 25 ft tall, and starting to get some residents. Good place to find ratfish at night. Easy to find too, straight out from the entry point there is a red gascan buoy, just follow the line down and you'll be on top of it. Not a deep dive by any means.