wolf eel video

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Cwest
Avid Diver

Post by Cwest »

I would think it would make underwater critters uncomfortable as well to have bright dive lights pointed at them.
I dont think any harm comes to wolf fish (yea I know but I like eel) ,sixgills, or any other marine life that I encounter.
My experence has been that wolf eels will uhmmm... (investigate with their mouth) my video lights,or other shiny things on me, if I am a little slow about coughing up some grub.They do not seem to shy away from the video rig when I am closing in for a closeup shot either.
With Six gills I have a little experince too.
The first time I saw one some of us were kicking around the idea of feeding them. (one dive buddy mentioned trying for a ride).The Idea in my head was to get some video of their mouths open.About the time the idea was moving from Idea to planning I determined this might not be the best Idea I have ever had. (See below)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R8LNAyddnuo&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R8LNAyddnuo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I have been lucky enough to see three sixgills while diving Owens Beach. all three sharks swam right at my video camera with two 10 watt HID lights pointed straight at them.The videos are at the same site as the ones I have referred to durring this discussion. Of course I was on the other side of the lights and I am sure they were interested in me not the lights.

At the aquarium I know the divers used to stay behind a chin link enclosuer. I don't know what they use now. I was also told the longest they ever had to wait for a shark to come to the bait was three hours.

I've heard that they like a nice plump chihuahua.
=D>

In the old days durring the bottom fishing derbys of yesteryear I was told that a sixgill would almost always win it and that they were caught using chicken.

I agree with sounder, Tom Nic and others. brite light is an irritant.
When ling cod hunting it is best not to shine your dive light directly on a ling you want to shoot. He will almost always begin to swim away about the time your in range for a shot.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Cwest wrote: When ling cod hunting it is best not to shine your dive light directly on a ling you want to shoot. He will almost always begin to swim away about the time your in range for a shot.
Oh guns are cheating. [-X You've got to jump on 'em and wrestle! May the best aquathing win! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Actually, once you shoot a lingcod it IS a wrestling match - you've got to get on them quickly and then the rodeo begins.

On what Wolfeels eat, you'd have a very hard time showing they catch (and eat) fish. They're just plain not built for catching fish. Salmon are built for catching fish, makos are built or catching fish, lingcod are built for catching fish, but wolfies lack the speed, manuverability, and teeth to catch and pin a fleeing fish. Seeing that there aren't many dead fish laying around the bottom of the rocky areas wolfies enjoy for them to scavange on (we have seastars and other bottom feeders for that), them eating fish is a tough one for me to swallow (pun intended).

I doubt this discussion will end up anywhere good - some people like to feed the critters, other people don't think it's right. This same discussion has been on many boards many times and never lands in a good place. I think we should move on to other threads and know that people on either side of this discussion aren't changing their opinions.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!