Do YOU Trox?

General banter about diving and why we love it.

How often do you dive Nitrox?

Every Dive
50%
Occationally (when I want to increase my bottom time, etc)
22%
I'm an airhead. No 'trox for me.
16%
Night Rocks! Wait. What was the question again?
13%

Total votes: 32

Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: Nitrox Rox

Post by Seth T. »

DFessler wrote: Geezer gas or not.......Nitrox Rox!!!!
Welcome David! If I'm not mistaken, your avatar is from the altitude speciality at Mowich Lake! What fun that was! By the way, I have a drysuit now! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Nitrox Rox

Post by DFessler »

Seth,

Why yes it is a photo from that event. I had to try to find one since my weight loss. I really need my wife to take some new photos of me.. \:D/

As for your new suit, congrats goes out for taking the more "comfortable" approach to diving our waters, especially Mowich Lake. Was it the altitude class that did you in? Anyways good to be here on NWDC. I have been on quite a bit but usually under Amy's ID at work. Figure I should get my own..
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

DFessler wrote:Seth,
Was it the altitude class that did you in?
Yep, I was the one that got the ball rolling on that (and one of the only freaks in a wetsuit in 40F water!). Fantastic class, by the way! =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

DFessler wrote: A2Z Scuba also offers all you can breathe cards for $200.00 per tank per year. It is tank specific but if you dive just 52 dives a year at $15.00 a fill you still save $380.00 a year. If you dive professionally and don't get shop perks you save a tremendous amount more..
A2Z isn't really local to me but this nitrox plan is very strange to me. Are doubles 1 or 2 tanks? I have 22 tanks in my stable so that would be $4400. At my ~120 dives a year that's $36.60 per fill, woohoo! umm maybe not.

Obviously not setup for someone like me. I could see it working for owners of 2 tanks but after that its increasingly less likely to be economical.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Nitrox Rox

Post by DFessler »

Definately not on your setup.

It is setup for the average recreational diver using a pair of tanks (Twins would be two tanks). We figure if someone has 2 tanks and buys the annual card (2x$200.00=$400.00) and they dive 2 dives every other week (52 dives) they would be spending $7.70 a fill vs. $12-$15. Now if someone like me dives up to 150-200 dives a year this breaks out to about $2.70 a fill.

So in other words, IMHO, if you are going to use our A2Z's plan, pick out a set of tanks you use on the majority and it will work. Not every plan is set up for everyone, and there is always going to be a plan somewhere for most..
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Certainly. Seems everyplace has their own take on "bulk nitrox" which of course has to be factored into how people value distance/time to get their gas.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

DFessler wrote:Definately not on your setup.

It is setup for the average recreational diver using a pair of tanks (Twins would be two tanks). We figure if someone has 2 tanks and buys the annual card (2x$200.00=$400.00) and they dive 2 dives every other week (52 dives) they would be spending $7.70 a fill vs. $12-$15. Now if someone like me dives up to 150-200 dives a year this breaks out to about $2.70 a fill.

So in other words, IMHO, if you are going to use our A2Z's plan, pick out a set of tanks you use on the majority and it will work. Not every plan is set up for everyone, and there is always going to be a plan somewhere for most..
That sounds like a good setup, certainly if you are local to A2Z. These types of programs are great to see. =D>

I do a similar thing at NWSD, $500/year, and up to 4 fills per day. Since I have ~10 tanks it works out well for me, keeps me going to the shop once a week or so to pick things up.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

CaptnJack wrote:I have 22 tanks in my stable ...
Good grief! That's enough air to raise the Titanic! :book: Do you use them all on the same dive? :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Seth T. wrote:
Good grief! That's enough air to raise the Titanic! :book: Do you use them all on the same dive? :bootyshake:
4 are actually argon, not for breathing gas. 18 are breathing gas in some sort of diving use. And yes I have used 5 on a dive (doubles=2, bottom stage, deco bottle, argon bottle). And sometimes it just a single tank. I don't dive air.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Seth T. wrote:
I've got 13 tanks with 12 breathable, and its just barely enough for technical diving.