Leg Cramps

General banter about diving and why we love it.
angelica
Getting To Know Folks

Post by angelica »

Yeah yeah, make sure you're not dehydrated & that you don't lack calcium, because those are big contributors to cramps! Drink sufficient amount of water before the dive.

Also make sure that your fins are not too stiff.

And if you haven't gone diving nor worked out your muscles for quite some time, then you may really get cramps!

Hope this helps!

Angelica
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Here's another thing to think about. If you are diving a drysuit, as the water gets colder, you add more air into your suit for a little extra warmth. This extra air gets into your feet and cause you feet to slip inside the fins, is the best way I can describe it. This slippage of the feet I think causes you to use muscles in your calves you usually don't when you are putting less air in your suit. I don't know if I explained quite right but pay attention to the amount of air in your feet. This is something I have notice over the past several years.
Got Water?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Watch when you are getting cramps in the dive. As Lynne pointed out, this isn't about potassium or calcium deficiency, it is using muscles in a way they aren't used to being used.

If on a safety stop, it could be that you are a bit light and are finning down to stay at depth. The one time I got cramps that was exactly the issue (well, it was overweighted in the lake in fundies and finning madly back to the bottom when I started corking from 8 feet . . . )

Another thing to do is change up your kicking to something that gives your calves a rest.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I haven't had a cramp in a while. I've been strengthening them, stretching them, staying hydrated and switching up my kicks.

Doug, it was always on the safety stop. I think what actually was happening was I was a little over weight, and I was head heavy, so I was fighting that head down feeling. Easy to do when your moving, not so much when hovering.

I moved weight farther towards my waist and that seems to have made a big difference. Thanks everybody for your help.

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Doug, it was always on the safety stop. I think what actually was happening was I was a little over weight, and I was head heavy, so I was fighting that head down feeling. Easy to do when your moving, not so much when hovering.
Ah, that makes sense too, you are working hard with your legs to push them down to get your head back up. Glad you solved the problem, without having to develop a banana addiction.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Ah, that makes sense too, you are working hard with your legs to push them down to get your head back up. Glad you solved the problem, without having to develop a banana addiction.