Stolen Photos!!!!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

GillyWeed wrote: .....I think you need a beer or something.. This has been a pretty crapy Monday for you I think.

:partyman: [/color]
Naaaah...but a nice 2001 Portteus Cellars Yakima Valley Merlot would do quite nicely!

Hmmmmm. I think that I still might have a real Cuban Cohiba stashed around here somewhere, too!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:For what it's worth, I sent emails to NAUI, SSI, SDI, IANTD and PSDA informing them of this probable imposter, and included links to his "personals" page.

Thieving, lying bastard :axe:

-Valerie
Wow, remind me never to piss off Val. Now I see why she's so nice all the time; She's saving up for copyright infringers! :violent3:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:Now I see why she's so nice all the time; She's saving up for copyright infringers! :violent3:
you should be glad she doesn't have a grudge against freaky avatars...

\:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

His whole collection has been pulled from Flikr, now. It is sad- I guess he's just a head-case that invented a persona of "Public Safety Diver" to, uh, meet people with, and stuff. Hard for me to understand, but certainly not the first time someone on the 'net has pretended to be something they're not.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

spatman wrote:
Calvin wrote:Now I see why she's so nice all the time; She's saving up for copyright infringers! :violent3:

Why do you say that? :dontknow:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Calvin wrote:
Wow, remind me never to piss off Val. Now I see why she's so nice all the time; She's saving up for copyright infringers! :violent3:
I feel as strongly about John on this matter. I had a photo used in a commercial endeavor without proper credit or permission and was rather upset at the time. It's plain, outright theft, pure and simple.

And, this guy is rather pathetic, in the true sense of the word. Hopefully he'll get the help he so clearly is in need of.

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Calvin wrote: Wow, remind me never to piss off Val. Now I see why she's so nice all the time
You've never seen me at work!

-Valerie :hello2:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:
spatman wrote:

LOL =D>
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Calvin wrote:
spatman wrote:

Hey "Freaky" Or should I say Calvin. You mentioned that you tag your pictures. Would you tell us that have no clue how you do it?

Thanks
Charles
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nailer99 wrote:His whole collection has been pulled from Flikr, now. It is sad- I guess he's just a head-case that invented a persona of "Public Safety Diver" to, uh, meet people with, and stuff. Hard for me to understand, but certainly not the first time someone on the 'net has pretended to be something they're not.
There is a great new country song called "cooler online" or "online." Look it up and give it a listen - applies perfectly in this situation!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
Calvin wrote: Wow, remind me never to piss off Val. Now I see why she's so nice all the time
You've never seen me at work!

-Valerie :hello2:
Hopefully, I *never* get to see you at work, b/c that'll mean that I'm going to the hospital in the middle of the night! :pale:
Aquanautchuck wrote: Hey "Freaky" Or should I say Calvin. You mentioned that you tag your pictures. Would you tell us that have no clue how you do it?

Thanks
Chuck, if the site you use to host your photos online allows the addition of keywords, or "tags", like Flickr... you could add 'aquanautchuck' as a tag to each photo. That way, if you google aquanautchuck, you'll see the results.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

GillyWeed wrote:John Rawlings wrote:
I cannot imagine a life so devoid of interest that one must invent a life merely to get by. I am no longer enraged....I am saddened.
hear hear John! I agree 100% but I think you need a beer or something.. This has been a pretty crapy Monday for you I think.

:partyman:
Now you're talkin'! Hear hear for beer! :partyman: I missed all the excitement. Haven't been on the site for almost a week. The same "good friend" told me about this just today. Apparently he's not on Flickr anymore. But the personals profile thing looks really creepy. :vom:
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

I worked for a professional photographer in another life and he had a woman take one of his photos and paint a mirror image of it, then try to sell it. He threatened a copyright lawsuit and the woman pulled the painting off the market. Sometimes you have to threaten their pocketbooks for people to pay attention. The lesson is that if you don't want your photos to be stolen off the internet, you have to put some kind of copyright symbol on the image. John you're mad now, think how mad you would be if this same thief SOLD an image of yours. Glad the diving community took care of this but it will happen again to you John and/or others. People are sleeezy.
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

I worked for a professional photographer in another life and he had a woman take one of his photos and paint a mirror image of it, then try to sell it. He threatened a copyright lawsuit and the woman pulled the painting off the market. Sometimes you have to threaten their pocketbooks for people to pay attention. The lesson is that if you don't want your photos to be stolen off the internet, you have to put some kind of copyright symbol on the image. John you're mad now, think how mad you would be if this same thief SOLD an image of yours. Glad the diving community took care of this but it will happen again to you John and/or others. People are sleeezy.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

BlackToe wrote: I'm not sure what kind of public safety diving he's doing, but I sure hope he's using the right exposure protection. (snicker)
Whoa! :evil4:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Oh, my God! This weirdo is still at it! He's got to have one of the largest collections of PSD, Millitary, and Commercial diving photos on the web!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psdivertom/page4/

I guess he's just absolutely *fixated* on impersonating a Public Safety Diver......

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I went to add a Tag to my pictures and noticed that I could add a license to my pictures. Is this not the better way to do it? If so, which option should use.
Charles
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

pretty sad.... he obviously has no life of his own.... poor guy
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
d200digitaldiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Stolen Photos!!!!

Post by d200digitaldiver »

Hi everyone

I live in the UK and have been diving around the St Johns NL coastline for the last 13 years carrying out archaeological searches and photographing the finds for the Provincial archaeologist. For fun we went diving on the Bell Island wrecks, I now find out that Tom D Hannaway has been taking an interest in my images and calling them all his own work.

The reason for registering is because I have just had 2 images ripped off, the like is below

http://groups.msn.com/ThunderCountryDiv ... sages.msnw Select pictures and page 2. The 2 images of the Rose Castle are mine,also the eel pouts were ripped off from my regular diving buddy.

I have emailed the dive shop and sent a group email to all the members last week but heard nothing. I haven' t a clue how the low life scum bag (Excuse me) got hold of my images.

I have just checked the site and the last email post was back in Jan 08. Perhaps he knows he been rumbled but somehow I feel he will be back

Bob
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome to the club- sorry to meet you this way, actually, but welcome, nonetheless. Yeah, "Tom," whoever he is, apparently has some mental problems- he was all over various internet diving message boards for quite a while, claiming to be a Public Safety diver, ex-Navy Clearance diver, etc, etc.....until he decided to pilfer some pictures from our own John Rawlings and claim them as his own. John posted some rather scathing commentary on those boards regarding this guy, and he took the pictures down and more or less dropped off our radar. You might want to PM Mr. Rawlings, the originator of this thread, he might have some information to share with you.....

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Damn! I can't believe that that SOB hasn't learned his lesson. :angryfire:

As Nailer said, I posted on Scubaboard, the Deco Stop, Rebreather World, Northwest Diver, and here. My advice to you is to go to those threads on each of those sites and resurrect them with a post announcing that he is now doing the same thing to you by claiming your photos as his. People were enraged all over the world last time he did it and this guy was shut down for a year. Looks like it 's time to do it again.

Good luck!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

There are others he's posted on that site too. Remember this beauty?

http://groups.msn.com/ThunderCountryDiv ... PhotoID=33
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

@#$%&*!!!!!

The SOB has posted ANOTHER one of my photos on page 3 of that club link! :angryfire:

http://groups.msn.com/ThunderCountryDiv ... PhotoID=37

That's a shot I took of Jerome Ryan years ago on one of our deco stops at the Edmonds T-Pier!

I guess that I should be glad that he's picking my old stuff..... grumble, grumble, grumble....

- John

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:@#$%&*!!!!!

The SOB has posted ANOTHER one of my photos on page 3 of that club link! :angryfire:

http://groups.msn.com/ThunderCountryDiv ... PhotoID=37

That's a shot I took of Jerome Ryan years ago on one of our deco stops at the Edmonds T-Pier!

I guess that I should be glad that he's picking my old stuff..... grumble, grumble, grumble....

- John

Funny- I was just about to email that pic to you- I was pretty sure it was one of yours. I wonder if this is the man himself, or just some poor SOB whose card he got ahold of?
Attachments
P.jpg

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

No....as I understand it that IS the POS.