new wreck at shilshole?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

new wreck at shilshole?

Post by hoover »

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories ... 4868f.html

how deep and where? :)

(the boaters were rescued)

[edit] sorry... just realized this probably isn't the best place to post this (until the environmental survey is done, the boat is safe to dive, and I have directions). if the mod wants to move this to the appropriate forum, i be obliged.[/edit]
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nope- I think it's a fine place to post this. I live near shilshole.....but the questions remain....how deep and where? \:D/
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

there should be coast guard records of the lat/long where the distress call was made from, but i have no idea how to find them...
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

Nailer99 wrote:I live near shilshole.....but the questions remain....how deep and where? \:D/
well...seeing as how you live near shilshole, you can keep your eyes open for coast guard or environmental boats that come back to check out the spot and do a little triangulation from known points on the beach. :) i have the charts to figure out depth or could take my boat out there and just look at the sounder.

i guess i am just curious how "near" to shilshole marina. it would be cool to have a little boat beach dive there. the barges are too far to do from shore. of course the walk to the water sucks at golden gardens.
lamont wrote:there should be coast guard records of the lat/long where the distress call was made from, but i have no idea how to find them...
Well, if the boat had a DSC radio interfaced with their GPS, then maybe. And if that is the case, then lots of other boats in the area will have a record as well. :) However, a lot of these older wood boats seem to not have super fancy updated electronics...particularly ones that are kept in such pristine shape that they sink at shilshole. (just kidding all your wood boat lovers!)

However, I imagine it is standard coast guard procedure to track their routes, mark waypoints, or report their position when responding to an incident....so for instance an environmental impact survey can be done later to figure out of the fuel tanks are leaking etc. That is probably hard to get ahold of unless you know someone.

IF it is in shallow enough water to be a navigation hazard (fat chance) then if they didn't pull it back up, it would at least eventually end up on NOAA's nautical charts...but I have a feeling that is unlikely.

"300 yards west of Shilshole Bay"
wow. that is so helpful. i assume they mean the marina. so that is promising. but they are probably talking about 300 yards off the break-water...and it is a BIG, LONG breakwater...so access kindof sucks.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/341 ... ource=mypi

okay, so I figured I would try to be resourceful. i composited a chart with depths measured in ft (at mean high-low or something like that) and augmented it with google earth photo that had a scale on it (since the chart tool I had handy doesn't have an electronic divider built in. Looks very promising if the report of 300 yards is accurate. That is almost all recreational water, and pretty shallow mostly depending on where it went down....assuming I am right about them talking about off the breakwater.

composite

marked off the distance on this one
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, it doesn't get deep too fast off GG - the barges are in about 70fsw if I remember, with the v-barge starting around 30fsw or so... which is weird the first time you drop on it.

Could be a fun new dive!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Something tells me they will crane it out. If for no other reason than to dispose of the oil and gas. Esp. if there's any kind of insurance to pay for it. Pure speculation on my part though.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

CaptnJack wrote:Something tells me they will crane it out. If for no other reason than to dispose of the oil and gas. Esp. if there's any kind of insurance to pay for it. Pure speculation on my part though.
i would think that it is the owners responsibility to remove the boat, for enviromental reasons. plus i would think some items are salvageable??
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

hoover wrote:
okay, so I figured I would try to be resourceful. i composited a chart with depths measured in ft (at mean high-low or something like that) and augmented it with google earth photo that had a scale on it (since the chart tool I had handy doesn't have an electronic divider built in. Looks very promising if the report of 300 yards is accurate. That is almost all recreational water, and pretty shallow mostly depending on where it went down....assuming I am right about them talking about off the breakwater.

composite

marked off the distance on this one

That's really neat. Nice work!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Burntchef wrote: i would think that it is the owners responsibility to remove the boat, for enviromental reasons. plus i would think some items are salvageable??
Technically its the owners responsibility but it seems that owners of sinking wooden boats generally don't have any assets to go after and the USCG doesn't seem to sue them for recovery costs. Absent insurance I don't know if the State's derelict vessel fund would provide for its removal or not.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

That's a good sized boat; it would be great fun to wreck dive it. Bummer for the owner though. ](*,)

Sooooo, once a boat is sunk, is it still the owner's property? In other words, if a diver finds something, is it "finder's keepers"? :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Maritime law is extremely complicated. If it has been abandoned you could make a salvage claim and if you actively work that claim recovered items would be yours. If the owner or another salvor is making efforts to recover the vessel or its contents its not finders keepers.
kjc
Aquaphile

Quit Drooling....

Post by kjc »

You guys are all nuts!

The King 5 news noon time show said they dispatched a recovery vessel and towed the boat to the marina.

I'm sure they have the capacity to remove it in the marina facility.

Shilshole Marina is owned and operated by the Port of Seattle. They do that stuff all the time.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: Quit Drooling....

Post by Seth T. »

kjc wrote:You guys are all nuts!
Wait a minute; you're just now figuring that out?! \:D/
kjc wrote: The King 5 news noon time show said they dispatched a recovery vessel and towed the boat to the marina.
Bummer! :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.