Derelict Fishing Gear off Lopez Island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Derelict Fishing Gear off Lopez Island

Post by nwscubamom »

Claude and I did a dive Saturday (just before the storm hit!) off the south end of Lopez Island, near Richardson - the old fuel dock area. While exploring, we ran into some abandoned fishing gear at the base of the dock pilings, in about 30 feet of water.

I was able to get one shot of it - unfortunately it was very blurry - sorry! And I'm not sure if the photo can do justice as to the size of this net. Now I know as divers we're not supposed to take matters into our own hands, but I had to do a judgment call on this one underwater and opted to remove this one myself - it seemed safe enough. I really hated to see the NW Straits Commission folks come all the way out there to the island for it.

Anyway, take a look at the photo of Claude with the net (once again, sorry for the blurriness!) and let me know if you think I did the right thing by removing this one myself.

- Janna :)

Last edited by nwscubamom on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Solitude Diver
Avid Diver

Post by Solitude Diver »

Rules are there for everyone’s safety. Taking matters into your own hands as you did puts you and your buddy at risk. You should probably have attached a marker buoy to it and let some commercial types come and extract it. [-X
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Really, Janna- with this kind of cavalier attitude, you're lucky you didn't kill yourself AND your buddy! I'm VERY disappointed that you would advertise this kind of reckless behavior here on a public forum. Did you have a gas plan for this dive? Surface support? Helicopters? You really shouldn't do this kind of salvage work without helicopters. Did you have the chamber on standby? What about the Navy and Coast Guard? VTS? Did you file the appropriate paperwork with them?

I didn't think so. :bootyshake:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Janna, I once looked up to you. My dreams of you being my model of a law abiding REEF conservationist are now shattered. Now you're just a rogue vigilante for the cult group of marine life you've named "critters."

You should be ashamed of yourself. :rr:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Solitude Diver wrote:Rules are there for everyone’s safety. Taking matters into your own hands as you did puts you and your buddy at risk. You should probably have attached a marker buoy to it and let some commercial types come and extract it. [-X
Solitude,

I understand what you're saying, and in most instances I would agree with you, but in this particular case, I was very afraid that if I attached a marker buoy to it, both the buoy AND the net would drift off into points unknown, prolonging the killing that this destructive net would continue to do.... #-o

I had to consider my options before undertaking the task...
Nailer99 wrote:Really, Janna- with this kind of cavalier attitude, you're lucky you didn't kill yourself AND your buddy! I'm VERY disappointed that you would advertise this kind of reckless behavior here on a public forum. Did you have a gas plan for this dive? Surface support? Helicopters? You really shouldn't do this kind of salvage work without helicopters. Did you have the chamber on standby? What about the Navy and Coast Guard? VTS? Did you file the appropriate paperwork with them?

I didn't think so. :bootyshake:
Awwww man! #-o I knew I forgot something! The helicopters!!!
Sounder wrote:Janna, I once looked up to you. My dreams of you being my model of a law abiding REEF conservationist are now shattered. Now you're just a rogue vigilante for the cult group of marine life you've named "critters."

You should be ashamed of yourself. :rr:
:pale: <gulp> You're onto me!! I wondered how long it would be before the fish was outta the net...

- Janna :salute:
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Janna,

Did you "rescue" any fish or crabs caught in the net? Unlike everyone else, you did a great community service here. I am sure all the fish thanked you and Claude. =D>
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Janna,

Did you "rescue" any fish or crabs caught in the net? Unlike everyone else, you did a great community service here. I am sure all the fish thanked you and Claude. =D>
Amy,

No fish or crabs that we could see, but who knows? Perhaps there was some fish or crab larvae caught in that destructive net! :D

Maybe some zooplankton...

One never knows!

- Janna :salute:
Janna Nichols
><((((°>