Sites near Bainbridge Island

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Sites near Bainbridge Island

Post by coach_izzy »

Greetings fellow bubble blowers. As many of you know, I have been crossing Puget Sound quite a few times in my business trips from NJ. I cannot tell you what a cruel tease it is to see all that magnificent water aboard the Ferry and not have any gear on me.

I will finally get my chance to splash the Pacific Northwest in April. I will be around Bainbridge Island, and I was wondering if you could recommend a few shore dives within reasonable driving distance from Bainbridge.

If I get the chance to hang outwith any of you, even better!

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yo Coach ...

We GOTTA get together when you're here. I'm not too familiar with what's on the "overseas" side of the Sound, as I rarely get over there. But I'll look into it and let ya know.

Any idea what dates you'll have available for diving? Current charts are a must around these parts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

There's only one spot on Bainbridge Island, Rockaway Beach, aka Norrander's Reef.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Grateful Diver wrote:Yo Coach ...

We GOTTA get together when you're here. I'm not too familiar with what's on the "overseas" side of the Sound, as I rarely get over there. But I'll look into it and let ya know.

Any idea what dates you'll have available for diving? Current charts are a must around these parts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob! How are feeling? All healed now? It's been awhile since I've been to the boards, which brings me to your next question.

What dates I'll be available?

Pretty much every Sunday starting April since my wife and I will be moving there :supz:

At first time will be tight since we'll be launching our business venture along with my partner in March/April, that's why I wanted closer sites. We should get the ball rolling pretty fast which will allow me time to drive further.

Definitely looking forward to diving together! Speak soon
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Sea of Green wrote:There's only one spot on Bainbridge Island, Rockaway Beach, aka Norrander's Reef.
I think I've been around the area. Thanks very much! Meet you in a few months \:D/
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Norrander's reef is a great dive. A small reef, but every inch was covered in life. There are two other dives there that are usually done as boat dives, because they are a bit of a surface swim, but you can do Metridium Wall without too much work. At low tide you would actually walk halfway there.

We found the map on the PNW scuba site to be inaccurate, thought. We found that the rocks that were clustered on shore seemed to continue in a line under water that eventually became the reef, and they were farther south than shown on the map. Metridium Wall is closer than it looks, too.

I keep meaning to add a writeup in the dive sites forum, perhaps I will do that this weekend.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Isn't Norrander's Reef just north of Blake Rock and Blake Harbor? If you have a boat you can dive Blake rock, China Wall, or the wrecks in Blake Harbor. If I recall there is a charter operator in Eagle Harbor that dives the West side.
Charles
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Penopolypants wrote:Norrander's reef is a great dive. A small reef, but every inch was covered in life. There are two other dives there that are usually done as boat dives, because they are a bit of a surface swim, but you can do Metridium Wall without too much work. At low tide you would actually walk halfway there.
What would be considered a bit of a surface swim? I usually do about 300 yards worth of surface swim in a couple of quarries, and that isn't too bad.

Thank you very much for the insight. See you soon.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
Solitude Diver
Avid Diver

Post by Solitude Diver »

coach_izzy wrote:What would be considered a bit of a surface swim? I usually do about 300 yards worth of surface swim in a couple of quarries, and that isn't too bad.
Remember: we have currents here, and the water moves (especially on the surface). I can walk further on a flat plane than up a hill. (Of course I can’t even seem to walk down hill without effort, so that’s all relative) :dontknow:
kjc
Aquaphile

uuuhhh... Coach?

Post by kjc »

coach_izzy wrote: What would be considered a bit of a surface swim?

I consider anyone who plans a dive with an excessive pre-dive exercise plan as a compulsive leader who doesn't plan.

300 yards? HUH???

That would not be something I would plan for. 25-50 yards max for a surface swim here. I'm not saying more can't be done, but there are other ways to get to, and back from some of the cherry dives around here besides following a bad person.

Please choose to dive with someone who respects you!

Just as a list, here are some of the common names of dive sites around Bainbridge Island;

Agate Pass
Blakely Harbor
Treasure Reef
The Wreck of the Bosses
Gilligan's Reef
Devil's Boulder
Aaron's Garden
Leiker's Reef
Metridum Reef
Rockaway Beach
Norriander's Reef
Blakely Rock
China Wall
Haunted Castle
Shangri-La
Decator Reef
Orchard Rocks
Fay Bainbridge State Park
Port Madison
Port White
Fort Ward
Orchard Rocks
Cribs Rocks
Restoration Point
The Wreck of the Rayanne

There are more!

Best wishes to you!
Last edited by kjc on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Solitude Diver wrote: Remember: we have currents here, and the water moves (especially on the surface). I can walk further on a flat plane than up a hill. (Of course I can’t even seem to walk down hill without effort, so that’s all relative) :dontknow:
True, that's an EXCELLENT point. I remember how stiff the currents were when I was Kayaking in Orcas. Of course, I was mesmerized by the scenery, so I did not mind. Like Bob mentioned, Tide charts are essential, and it is easy to see why. See you soon!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Re: uuuhhh... Coach?

Post by coach_izzy »

kjc wrote:
I consider anyone who plans a dive with an excessive pre-dive exercise plan as a compulsive leader who doesn't plan.

300 yards? HUH???
It is all relative. Like I mentioned before, it is in a quarry with calm water, and to be honest, we would not consider it excessive exercise as the swim feels, well, effortless. Besides, the feature we want to see in that part is 100 feet deep, so we use the gas for our dive and return.
That would not be something I would plan for. 25-50 yards max for a surface swim here. I'm not saying more can't be done, but there are other ways to get to, and back from some of the cherry dives around here besides following a bad person.
Again, it's all relative. You have those currents there, which can be pretty significant. Heck, I'm not a big fan of surface swimming in currents. I guess how the site is dived is dependent on the conditions at the time. My experiece in the PNW has been limited so far to surface observations, and free diving in Orcas (Brrr, wet suit) so I rely on the locals to get pertinent and valuable info about diving the area. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
That's why I'm here :wav:
Nothing beats the advice of those who have been dealing with the area for years and share their experience out of passion for diving. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and I would definitely love to take a couple of classes with Bob. His paper on gas management was excellent, and I'm sure I can learn quite a bit from all of you.
Just as a list, here are some of the common names of dive sites around Bainbridge Island;

Agate Pass...
Great information, Thank you! The only dive shop I know in the area is Exotic Aquatics in Bainbridge, I'm sure they dive many of those sites and can get me acquainted with them.
Best wishes to you!
And to you. Happy and safe diving. See you soon.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Edmonds Oil Dock is about 250 yards according to the map. I would say that the surface swim to Metridium Wall would not be that far, perhaps half that or less.

We were there on a fairly large exchange day and did not notice any current.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
kjc
Aquaphile

Pre-Post Dive Exercise

Post by kjc »

The issue with surface swimming is relative, I agree...with respect to the distance one has to travel, with or without current or surface conditions in terms of one's own personal preferences or past experiences or abilities...

That is not my point.

My point is that excessive exercise before, or after a dive increases the likelyhood of decompression illness after the dive. The same thing goes for hot tubs and big meals and lotso beer etc etc....

I realize that is relative too....

For someone new to our area, it would not be inconceivable for someone from here who is really eager to meet and influence that person by bully talking them into doing something beyond their abilities or interests like an excessive surface swim to their favorite dive and hurt them.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hmmm ... Edmonds Oil Dock is a long surface swim ... people do it all the time. Same goes for all those folks who choose (for some reason) to surface swim out to the buoy on the Triumph at EUP. Lobster Shop Wall can be a long surface swim. Sunrise involves not only a fairly long surface swim, but a hike up a hill after the dive. People do it all the time. Same goes for Sund Rock if you're cheaping out and parking on the road.

When I was down in SoCal, seems like a lot of the shore dives involve 20-25 minute surface swims.

Nobody says you have to race out there, ya know ... surface swimming doesn't have to be strenuous ... take your time, talk to your budddy, and enjoy the ride. I can kick for 20 minutes on the surface and not even be breathing hard ... and if an old fat guy can do it, most anybody can ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Steve Fischnaller (the shore dives book guy) has a higher tolerance for surface swims than I. Freshwater Bay and Tolmie barges are both >30mins each way. Make Sunrise and the Oil dock look pretty casual. That's not worth it for me, I got a boat. \:D/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:Steve Fischnaller (the shore dives book guy) has a higher tolerance for surface swims than I. Freshwater Bay and Tolmie barges are both >30mins each way. Make Sunrise and the Oil dock look pretty casual. That's not worth it for me, I got a boat. \:D/
Me neither, now that I have a scooter. Nor for my buddy, now that I have a tow strap ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kjc
Aquaphile

Old Fat Guy, Huh?

Post by kjc »

oooh sure...

make the new guy carry all yer stuff to the water's edge and then bust him?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Re: Old Fat Guy, Huh?

Post by coach_izzy »

kjc wrote:oooh sure...

make the new guy carry all yer stuff to the water's edge and then bust him?
So you were referring to Bob when you mentioned the diving bullies... Ohhh, that makes sense! :) That's why he's always looking for new buddies! Fresh meat to haul his gear!

All kidding aside, thanks very much for the valuable info. I'll be stopping by more often and detail you as to when I'll be around for some splashing. Speak soon.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
In Pain?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yeah ... I'll admit it ... I'm a diving bully.

Just ask anyone who dives with me ... :axe:
kjc wrote: there are other ways to get to, and back from some of the cherry dives around here besides following a bad person.

kjc wrote: For someone new to our area, it would not be inconceivable for someone from here who is really eager to meet and influence that person by bully talking them into doing something beyond their abilities or interests like an excessive surface swim to their favorite dive and hurt them.
Dude, I really wonder where you're coming from sometimes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjc
Aquaphile

Fresh Meat...YaHoo!!!

Post by kjc »

I'm really glad you have a sense of humor!

Everybody loves Bob!

Its just that nobody can get their arms around him!

I used to spend a lot of time on Bainbridge Island, and have dove all of the sites that I listed. I didn't just read the names out of a book.

The dive store that you stated is sort of known as both a dive store, and a kayak store. They could set you up with either for around the island. You mentioned that you had done some kayaking in the San Juans which is why I contributed to your thread.

Everyone has their personal preferences obviously for how they choose to access, and do their dives. Its all good, and fun!

For me, my personal preference is kayak diving.

It is possibe to access remote dive locations effortlessly and do dives that simply can not be done any other way. Its not how I always dive, just sometimes...but Bainbridge Island and surrounding waters are perfect for it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Fresh Meat...YaHoo!!!

Post by Grateful Diver »

kjc wrote:I'm really glad you have a sense of humor!
Ah ... calling someone a bad person ... stating that they have no respect for someone else ... and saying that they bully their dive buddies into doing dangerous things ... is humor ...

... got it ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kjc
Aquaphile

Me vs Bob

Post by kjc »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dude, I really wonder where you're coming from sometimes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Do you really?

I mean, weeweally???

I think you and I should have our own thread!

Just you and me...

...in our underwear!

<BR> <BR>....

I have never been able to get these stupid smiley face thingies to work!!!

Where's that Admin?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Not really ... go troll somebody else ... I'm done.

Coach, if you want to talk about diving when ya get here, shoot me a PM.

This thread's turned into a waste of time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kjc
Aquaphile

No

Post by kjc »

...hardly trolling. Balancing!

Thank you for stopping.

Seriously, you deserve credit for that.

Kevin