Three Tree North is gonna have babies!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Three Tree North is gonna have babies!

Post by Penopolypants »

I was so excited about the grunt sculpin that I didn't even notice the eggs until looking at the pic after the dive.

I also saw a mass of lavender gray eggs last night....I've seen them at Cove 2 near the I-beams as well. Anybody know what they are?

Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The purple eggs look like greenling eggs to me - and the location sounds right too. Usually there's a very colorful mama around and a watchful proud papa, though they're not NEARLY as aggressive as lingcod daddys are when watching over their eggs.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Excellent pics, Penelope ... my grunt sculpin pics didn't come out at all.

Those look like kelp greenling eggs in the second photo.

Here's a couple pics of mine that came out OK ...

Very relaxing dive ... pretty nice vis too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:The purple eggs look like greenling eggs to me - and the location sounds right too. Usually there's a very colorful mama around and a watchful proud papa, though they're not NEARLY as aggressive as lingcod daddys are when watching over their eggs.
Haha, yeah, I've been spanked pretty hard by a lingcod when I (unsuspectingly) got too close to his eggs.

There was a kelp greenling close…..she was napping on the bottom, with a kelp leaf draped over just her head, probably thinking she was well hidden.

Nice pics of the octo Bob! And the worms….they're hard to get shots of, they're so shy.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice pics everyone!

I'd agree on the purple eggs being Kelp Greenling eggs.

I'm not sure about the first picture. If those are Grunt Sculpin eggs those little gals are tougher than I thought! :pale: Pretty large looking eggs to belong to such a small critter... although... you never know! The egg mass is as big as the sculpin!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

proof that we need more artificial reefs!
Sea of Green

Re: Three Tree North is gonna have babies!

Post by Sea of Green »

Penopolypants wrote: I also saw a mass of lavender gray eggs last night....I've seen them at Cove 2 near the I-beams as well. Anybody know what they are?
Supper for that octo above.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Tom Nic wrote:Nice pics everyone!

I'd agree on the purple eggs being Kelp Greenling eggs.

I'm not sure about the first picture. If those are Grunt Sculpin eggs those little gals are tougher than I thought! :pale: Pretty large looking eggs to belong to such a small critter... although... you never know! The egg mass is as big as the sculpin!
I don't know whether they are or not either but it's amazing what comes out of some marine animals. Consider what comes out of Stubby Squid or Market Squid. Some nudibranchs seem to have egg masses larger than the nudibranch.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I hate to be a spoiler guys but those are White spotted greenling eggs. Painteds have orange eggs. I gotta get back out there. Haven't done 3 tree in awhile. How was the viz?

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:I hate to be a spoiler guys but those are White spotted greenling eggs. Painteds have orange eggs. I gotta get back out there. Haven't done 3 tree in awhile. How was the viz?

Hmmm... you're probably right. Come to think of it those were Whitespotted Greenling that I've been getting buzzed by a month or so ago.

Nice pic, and welcome to NWDC BTW!

Three Tree is one of my favorite "old reliable" sites. Sparky said viz was around 25' on Sunday. Hopefully we've not been getting too much rain to mess the viz up too bad.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:I hate to be a spoiler guys but those are White spotted greenling eggs. Painteds have orange eggs. I gotta get back out there. Haven't done 3 tree in awhile. How was the viz?

I don't think anyone said they were painted greenling eggs ... we said they were kelp greenling eggs ... and I still believe that's what they were, since there was a kelp greenling nearby watching the nest.

For comparison ... http://www.digigreen.net/forums/green-w ... -eggs.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I'm with you, Bob. (and many others) regarding them being Kelp Greenling eggs. I was there yesterday and saw about four female Kelp Greenlings all in one area - and one of them was VERY BIG too.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

There are several resident? really good sized female kelp greenlings that hang out around the tire piles that I have seen several different times.