A new type of nudibranch found off Lopez Island!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

A new type of nudibranch found off Lopez Island!

Post by nwscubamom »

I was diving off Lopez Island last week, and was at the end of a dive, at my safety stop. Cold, and ready to get out, I spotted an unusual looking critter on a leaf of kelp - what I thought was a new type of nudibranch!

Always envious of all your cool nudibranch sightings, and especially Jan's, I was imagining posting on Slug Site, conferring with Dave Behrens, etc. It looked a bit like a Shaggy Mouse nudi, but quite different. As I got closer, I realized what it was....and gave myself a FWAP upside the head :)

Time to end the dive....sheepishly!

- Janna :)

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Ok... I'll ask the stupid question. ](*,) What is it? #-o

Realizing it's most likely something totally simple, I'm probably not looking at it in the right way, but it looks like some sort of anemone, or underside of a star, or upside down crawling cuke. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

You got it, Door number two!!

:)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Ok, but how was the rest of the dive? Vis? Shore or boat dive? Currents? Surge? Inquiring minds going on vacation end of this month want to know.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Shore dive, but only accessible through private property (our place with a long walk, or neighbor's house for shorter walk). Rocky reef - we explored down to about 60 feet. Viz was about 15 feet. No current to speak of, but I timed it that way too. Not a whole lot of action this time of year though.

One of our favorite dives is Richardson Dock at the south end of the island, shore dive. But max depth there hits maybe 45 feet.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Don't feel bad, Janna, more then once I shoot critter which sure looks like some new slug only to look at the picture on the computer and find a contracted anemone or piece of tunicate #-o
You remember how I thought the white sea cucumber was a nudibranch? ](*,)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
kjc
Aquaphile

Lopez Island Kayak Dives

Post by kjc »

There are some excellent dives all around Lopez Island that are easily accessible by kayak. It is possible to paddle to adjacent near by beaches and do shore dives almost all around the Island, and there are also many live kayak dives that are easily within reach.

Its a little far to go, and get back from for just a day trip, so staying over is the best option.

Its a wonderful kayak camp & dive destination!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Lopez Island Kayak Dives

Post by Sounder »

kjc wrote:Its a little far to go, and get back from for just a day trip, so staying over is the best option.
Grateful Diver joined Mrs. Sounder and I for a weekend at our place there and we had some marginal dives. A scooter would go a long way on some of them... knowing other interesting sites would also help a lot (hint hint Janna!). There is LOTS of good potential for sites easily reached with a boat, and someday I want to drift Shark Reef on a mild exchange... that looks amazing from the top side.

GD, I guess we'll just have to go back!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Lopez Island Kayak Dives

Post by Sounder »

You can say THAT again!! #-o (double post)