Unidentified Eggs

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
brownick
Avid Diver

Unidentified Eggs

Post by brownick »

I spotted these eggs inside an empty barnacle while diving at Keystone Jetty on 1/20. I didn't note the exact depth though I would guess around 40 fsw. Unfortunately I didn't see any caretakers around to aid with the id. I haven't had time to research them so I thought this would be a great resource to utilize. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

Here is a zoomed in view:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

These are Kelp Greenling eggs.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

Thanks Jan!!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I had read that Grunt Sculpins lay their eggs in empty Giant Barnacle shells - could these be Grunt eggs?

BTW, Nick, when Joe and I went a' hunting for your Ciona off Bell Island, we came across ooooodles of empty Giant barnacle shells stuffed with eggs. In fact, that's how I found the Ciona that we found - I was ooogling at some eggs and then noticed the Ciona in a crack just below the eggs!

Look at the color differences between these eggs - could they be the difference between Kelp Greenling eggs, and Grunt Sculpin eggs? Or just a difference in the age and development of the eggs?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------