Three fer Greg

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Three fer Greg

Post by Chenari »

These are three Hermit Crabs that I found at Monterey in various places. They have me stumped. The one in the upper left corner, I have no idea what it is. Upper middle and right I think are Paragurus Retrosimanus because of the white claw. The closest thing I can find for the bottom one is Hairy Hermit, Paragurus Hirsutiusculus, but I don't see any blue bands on its legs. Please help oh masterful crab man! :prayer:

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

The first one is Pagurus hemphilli- with the cool gold rings in the eyes. I.D. on the second is correct (for those of you with the older printing of my book, "Pagurus sp. 2" on pg. 67 is P. retrorsimanus. "Pagurus sp. 1" on the previous page is P. hartae). Although not 100% certain, I think the third is P. venturensis. This was once considered a subspecies of P. hirsutiusculus but was elevated to species in 1993. I mention it under "remarks" for that species. It lives on sand rather than in rocky areas, and the fact that this one is using an olive shell indicates he's been hanging out near the sand. Monterey is the northern limit for it and the southern limit for hirsutiusculus, so both are possible there.
I've found retrorsimanus a couple times at the breakwater down there- is that where you saw these two? Where was the venturensis?
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

I'm not entirely sure where it was. I think it was near some rocks, but they were scarce. Thanks very much for the help Greg. \:D/ That is why you are my inspiration for this. :salute: