Egg ID help

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
bnboly
Submariner

Egg ID help

Post by bnboly »

Tom Nic, Bassman and I did a dive at Three Tree the other day. Towards the end of the dive in about 15fsw we came across these eggs - I have no idea what they are - the 1st photo is an enlargement of a section of the eggs with what looks like a shrimp sitting on the eggs....

This is a shot of the entire 'set' of eggs..
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Looks like greenling eggs, but they seem awfully shallow being in 15fsw. Whatever they are, that shrimp is eating well!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I've seen these guys before at Three Tree, in the shallows, on the eelgrass - and I think someone told me those were herring eggs - one of the reasons that eelgrass is SO important so herring can reproduce - bottom of the fish food chain and all.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Interesting. As mentioned, I thought they were pretty shallow, but the pink & purple of the eggs had me thinking greenling. Herring eh? I wouldn't have thought it'd be very safe to be a herring in 15fsw... then again, where is it safe to be a herring anywhere?! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

After an extensive search on Google images :smt024 , I've decide those are definitely, Fish eggs! :smt064
Steel head eggs and Trout eggs and about a dozen other fish eggs look just like that!
Now I wonder what they taste like.
My guess? "Taste just like fish."
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: