Hawaiian Sixgill

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Hawaiian Sixgill

Post by lurch »

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Love the soundtrack.

That's half again as long as Bob's estimate on the size of the enormous one we ran into in Cove 2. That would be a daunting creature to encounter on scuba!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That's freaking amazing! Thanks for posting it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

wow, what a monster! any idea how deep that was?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think it was Rob up at Hornby Island who told me the biggest one they'd seen up there was over 20 feet long ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I've not seen the video, but I've heard several times on the board that dogfish do not react well to laser pointers. Perhaps this shark was irritated by the lasers on the sub?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spatman wrote:wow, what a monster! any idea how deep that was?
According to the video it was at 3,300 feet ...

... no wonder they were in a submersible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spatman wrote:wow, what a monster! any idea how deep that was?
According to the video it was at 3,300 feet ...

... no wonder they were in a submersible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
ah, thanks. i had the sound off. at work...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Damn, that's a big fish. I guess the "huge" 13 footer's we have around here are just teenagers! :pale: 20' long?! Are white sharks up to around 20' long? ...and just think of the tini-tiny little brain that is powering that scary fish. #-o

Here it is incase the link goes away...

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHuvs9Qqa5o&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHuvs9Qqa5o&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Gracias Sounder.

I believe depth is that "D1001.2" label in the bottom-right. Since everything in science is done in Standard International (except certain NASA endeavors we won't go into ](*,) ) that comes out to 1001.2 meter = 3284.78 feet.

What I wouldn't give to be on a manned sub.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Hmmmmm, That's DEEP!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nwbrewer wrote:I've not seen the video, but I've heard several times on the board that dogfish do not react well to laser pointers. Perhaps this shark was irritated by the lasers on the sub?
:laughing3:

And that is exactly why I don't dive with a lazer pointer anymore!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I guess this is for the Marine Biologists out there, Rachel, Kevin? Is there any science behind this Shark/Laser Pointer theory? It certainly seems like lasers have an effect on sharky behavior. Has it been studied?
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Pez7378 wrote:I guess this is for the Marine Biologists out there, Rachel, Kevin? Is there any science behind this Shark/Laser Pointer theory? It certainly seems like lasers have an effect on sharky behavior. Has it been studied?
They're just jealous of the sub's laser beams.

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:It certainly seems like lasers have an effect on sharky behavior. Has it been studied?
All I can say is that from personal experience lasers effect my behavior. I was tagged in the right eye by a consumer-grade laser pointer a few years ago (by a teenage prankster). By law, these output a wavelength which cause permanent damage over a span of time greater than the typical reaction time of the human eye flinch/blink. In other words you should have time to get away before it causes damage. All I can say is I'd hate to experience permanent damage because the 'temporary damage' I experienced was 3 hours of HELL. I was blind in that eye and suffered the worst headache of my life. When I was hit my entire vision was completely obliterated. High intensity RED was all I saw (and painfully felt). There was ZERO peripheral vision. Just a total and complete flood of bright red for that instant. My vision in that eye slowly returned over a period of hours.

I would not be surprised if indirect 'beam scatter' radiation from impurities in the water sends uncomfortable laser radiation into the made-for-the-dark sensitive eyes of sharks and other marine animals even when the beam is not directed at the eye.

-Ben
Mike Callum
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Mike Callum »

Wow, you guys see these things up here?!?!?
When and where? :salute:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I saw 3 last year; all of them were at Alki Cove 2. They're all over the Sound- maybe not so many over in Hood Canal, but they see them there once in a while, too. Here's 2 reports of the ones I saw with Calvin:

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2007/08/ ... ting-video

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2007/01/ ... lki-cove-2

The first vid is of an ~8 foot female, the second was a ~12 footer!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."