Need Advice For Cozumel

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Montanagal
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Need Advice For Cozumel

Post by Montanagal »

We are considering going to Cozumel in October.

What is the best time to buy airline tickets to get the best rate and what is the best way or airline to go to get the best rates and schedule for getting down there?

We live near Portland, but if Seattle is a better way, we could trek up there to fly out.

Is there anyone or groups considering going in October?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Re: Need Advice For Cozumel

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I just got back from Cozumel Monday. All I can say is I have been there and won't be back. It is really commercialized and they get you for every penny they can. You pay in dollars and they use a 10 to 1 esxchange rate even when it is much higher and they give you Pesos back pocketing the difference. You can't drink the water and they sell it from $3.10 down to .50 cents. And only drinking bottled water both of us came down with Montezuma's revenge. The diving was just so so, in fact I did not dive the 5th day because I did not think it was worth it. The water temp is 80 which is nice but the vis is only about 75' and cloudy because of the current. Take a full 3 mil suit because of the current you really do not swim but drift. Most dives the current was so fast you could not stop and take pictures. It was more like "oh there is a Turtle, I will have to take the picture when I get here so it will come out". It can really move. Half he days there were 24 divers on the boat. One day the first dive was max depth of 53' and the second one was 40'. I really hate hitting the surface with 1450 lbs in a al 80 after a 55 min dive. I will get off my soap box now.
Charles
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I think you are the first person I know who was disappointed in Coz. I thought the diving was amazing, but maybe it was time of year (summer). Viz was unlimited, water temps 84. There are smaller boats available so you aren't on a cattle call.

-Valerie
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Depending on what time of year you go will determine when you should buy tickets. I have found that purchasing tickets in the off season, 2-3 months ahead you will get the best price. October is right in the middle of hurricane season. You will get great prices, but expect weather to be an issue. Even if a hurricane isn't an issue, it is still storm season and dives could be cancelled due to rough conditions.

I recommend that you use a travel agent who specializes in dive travel. You can piece it all together on your own, but if you are unfamiliar with where you are going, accommodations and type of diving, you may pay more or not get what you want. Purchasing a package or going with a dive group is the best way to go.

Cozumel has something for everyone. The many of people who go there dive on the bigger boats, and go to the major spots. Many of the large operators have smaller boats and more personalized trips. Our group trips were never more than 10-15 people. Many times they were quite a bit smaller. The diving is good but the reefs are still recovering from the 1-2 punch it got from hurricanes Emily and Wilma a few years ago. Drift diving is very fun and you will see a lot. I enjoy diving here a lot.

Topside, CZM is very commercialized, but it is pretty low-key after 10pm. Once the cruise ships leave port, things mellow out a lot in town. To save $$$, we hit the grocery store for water and we drink a lot of it. I have never got sick in CZM, but I am also pretty careful.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I LOVE Cozumel, and can't wait to go back. The swim-thrus were my favorite. Been there twice - in April and October. The visibility was better in October, but April's was still 100' or so. I think the fall is supposed to be the best visibility. The current never bothered me for pictures, maybe I was just lucky. Maybe winter currents are stronger. I thought Dive Paradise was a great provider (October). I can't remember who the other one was. I think the dive operator competition is so fierce down there, the operators really try to give top-notch service, because if they don't, it's easy for the customer to go somewhere else. Spent so much time diving, didn't really experience the town until the day before we left. We rented scooters (cheap), and cruised around the town and island. Didn't really spend money except on gifts. I certainly would not recommend buying scuba stuff there. It is very expensive, and not necessarily up to date gear either (I think stores buy a bunch of stuff, then don't buy anymore until what they have is sold). Had plenty of free water from the diving providers and the hotel, so never bought any. A bad experience always sucks. I feel fortunate I haven't had one in Cozumel. Will keep my fingers crossed for next time.
Montanagal
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Montanagal »

Thank you for your replies, but I am still wondering about flying down.

What is the best way, Portland or Seatlle and/or airlines to get to Cozumel from the Northwest?
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

I went Cozumel last month. I love Cozumel. I flew on Northwest Airlines from Seattle for Cozumel with stop in Detroit and Continental Airlines with stop in Houston for home. I had award mileage trip. Northwest Airlines is not service for Cozumel in Oct. I just check with Continental Airlines. They service from Portland to Cozumel with stop (change plane) in Houston for Oct. A cost around $530.00 plus tax & fee for round trip.
Departing Flight:
*Leave Portland @ 12:30 am Arrive Houston @ 6:30am central time.
*Leave Houston @ 9:10am Arrive Cozumel @ 11:30am same central time.

Returning Flight:
*Leave Cozumel @ 12:15pm Arrive Houston@ 2:37pm
*Leave Houston @ 5:55pm Arrive Portland @ 8:24pm pacific time.

I don't know about another airlines ( US Airway, ?). I know Alaska Airlines but service to Cancun only. A ferry service between near Cancun and Cozumel about one hour. If you want different flight time, check on internet http://continental.com

Good Luck.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We did the Continental flight through Houston to Cozumel, and it went very smoothly out and back.

We stayed at Villa Aldora and dove with Aldora divers. The boats hold six. They have steel tanks, and customize the dives to the level of the divers. We had a wonderful guide named Mateo, who left us alone as far as dive process went, but showed us all the cool stuff he could find. We found a couple of excellent and inexpensive restaurants -- You just have to go a couple of blocks inland from he cruise ship destinations.

I honestly thought the diving was OK but not extraordinary. I've had equally good viz on the oil rigs in LA, and more color and variety of life in the Channel Islands, but the warm water and excellent viz was very enjoyable. Personally, I would not do a second trip to Cozumel for reef diving. But I don't regret having done one.

Enjoy your trip -- at least it isn't 42 degree green water!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Montanagal
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Montanagal »

Thanks all of you for your time to post and give advice.

Your right, LCF, it would not be green or dark 42 degree water.