Can anyone help this guy?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Can anyone help this guy?

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Hey everyone,

I saw this on northwestdiver.com, and I just couldn't help but feel badly for this poor guy. Can anyone help him out????? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?!?

My name is Blane Harden, I was told this web-site would be a good place to maybe post a message to divers that dive at seacrest. A friend of mine and I were fishing off the fishing pier on alki(03/04/08 around mid-night) and my buddy dropped my fishing pole in the water. Normally, this would not be much of a big deal, but the reel that was attached is an heirloom from my grandfather. It is the only thing I have of his and cherish it. It is worth a considerable amount, but is priceless to me. If you would like to help, could you please pass this message throughout the puget sound diver community. I am offering reward money to anyone who finds it. I know the odds are not likely to go in my favor, but i want for my contact information to be available to someone if they were to come across it. It was lost at the third pilon in from the north side(left) approximately 10-20 feet out. Thank you for anything you can do and God bless,

Blane.harden@gmail.com
425-753-8222
Jenn
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Re: Can anyone help this guy?

Post by gomi_otaku »

I can't imagine how many poles are down there- you'd have to bring them all up and have this guy pick his out.
gomi_
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That is inside the diver exclusion area.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:That is inside the diver exclusion area.
Yeah, that was my thought too.

He should contact the city to try to get approval for someone to go get it. Then get in touch with some of the Cove 2 boundary line maintenance folks. I'd be willing to go get it if the city cleared us - late at night or early in the morning is probably the best time to avoid fishermen.

Note - there is LOTS of random fishing line down there... please don't go looking for this on your own. There is a high likelyhood of entanglement and we can't afford any more accidents at Cove 2.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:That is inside the diver exclusion area.

He approached me in the parking lot on Wednesday and asked for my help, and I pointed this out to him. I told him it would be difficult to find someone willing to violate the boundary rules...as much as I felt for him, I couldn't do it. I didn't think about asking the parks dept. or city people for permission, though.

We did the boundary line that night and kept our eye out for it in case it had miraculously floated that far away....of course it hadn't.

He is really upset about losing this, it was really sad. If there is a way to help him there would be some good karma in it.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've sent an email to the proper authority and expect to hear back sometime hopefully soon. If we can get permission to close the pier and enter the exclusion zone, I'll put together a team.

Please, again, PLEASE do not try to do this dive. We don't need any violations or accidents. This is a great chance to promote good relations with divers... let's do it correctly.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Sounder--

If you get the proper permissions, etc, let me know. I'd love to help out in the search.

Jenn
Jenn
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Sounder--

If you get the proper permissions, etc, let me know. I'd love to help out in the search.

Jenn
I'll certainly keep you in the loop. If we do get permission, I want to ensure it's handled in the most professional way possible. This is a great opportunity to earn some good juju and promote good relations with fishermen. It's also a great way to show that divers are actively involved in keeping Cove 2 safe.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You all have too much respect for authority :la: :smt064 I thought there were at least a couple of CCR divers here...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:You all have too much respect for authority :la: :smt064 I thought there were at least a couple of CCR divers here...

Don't think for a second that the thought didn't cross my mind! How much is that reward?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder is talking with parks officially. Maybe its time for a general garbage cleanup (with permission). I pick up plastic trash outside the boundary line all the time, I bet there's alot more inside.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:Sounder is talking with parks officially. Maybe its time for a general garbage cleanup (with permission). I pick up plastic trash outside the boundary line all the time, I bet there's alot more inside.
That's not a bad idea ... Emerald Sea Dive Club does one of those every year on the Edmonds fishing pier.

It would be a good way to promote relations with the local fishing community, as long as its done properly.

Maybe you should talk to Randy ... he's had a lot of experience with the Parks and Recreation folks you'll need to deal with.

In any event, best of luck ... and hopefully you'll be able to reunite this fellow with his family heirloom.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - if you DO manage to get permission, make sure you've got a support team on the pier and safety divers ready to go (that's SOP with the ESDC cleanup) ... there's a LOT of fishing line in the water.
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Sounder is talking with parks officially. Maybe its time for a general garbage cleanup (with permission). I pick up plastic trash outside the boundary line all the time, I bet there's alot more inside.
That's not a bad idea ... Emerald Sea Dive Club does one of those every year on the Edmonds fishing pier.

It would be a good way to promote relations with the local fishing community, as long as its done properly.

Maybe you should talk to Randy ... he's had a lot of experience with the Parks and Recreation folks you'll need to deal with.

In any event, best of luck ... and hopefully you'll be able to reunite this fellow with his family heirloom.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - if you DO manage to get permission, make sure you've got a support team on the pier and safety divers ready to go (that's SOP with the ESDC cleanup) ... there's a LOT of fishing line in the water.
I've already thought about the safety divers and top-side support. There is a TON of crap down there, and we want everything to go properly. Randy W. and Jack c. were CCed in my email to the woman who handles Cove 2 for Seattle Parks... nothing heard yet, but I only sent it a bit ago. I will follow up with a phone call Monday if I don't hear anything sooner.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great opportunity.

My local club does an annual river cleanup dive. We pull HUNDREDS of pounds of junk out each event. It's a great community relations opportunity when the newspaper shows a bunch of divers standing in front of trucks loaded with garbage pulled from the water. If you get permission for this be sure to get lots of photos. Might want to let some reporters know about it. April 22 is Earth Day. It's close enough you could call this an Earth Day project.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The city wrote back and they didn't say "no." Hopefully it'll go somewhere positive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Things are looking very good. More details to come... \:D/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I'm available to assist in any way needed.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

You two make a, uhmmm, not so cute couple.....No offense! :bootyshake: :partyman:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Everything is coming together well and we should have an update soon...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I would like to help out any way I can, Sounder! :hello2:
Of course it would have to be during a time when I'm not at work or a sleep.
I'm available Monday-morning or night, Tuesday-anytime,Wednesday-anytime and Thursday mornings.
I'll just be cheering everyone on! :smt038
I think the general trash removal would be a good thing too! And we might find a fishing pole or two.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Where were you when I was, um, sick on Thursday, Keith? ](*,) :crybaby:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dude!
I sent my Regulator setup in for an annual insp. and also my tanks are getting cleaned for a new Vis Insp.
I wont be available utill next Wenesday or Thursday.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Has anyone let him know that Sounder is on the trail? He might be relieved to know that there are people interested in helping him. It would also be funny if he found a willing diver and that diver found the reel by now.

I think the cleanup idea is a good one anyway. I've seen bits of nets around cove 2 and I find that kinda disturbing. Cans and bottles make habitat eventually, but nets are yucky.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
somedaydiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by somedaydiver »

I must say i am just blown away by all you who have rallied together to try and help me. What I thought was a long shot by trying to recruit a few divers to possibly locate my fishing pole has now become a full fledged batallion of some of the kindest people, many whom i have not even met. For people to show just a genuine concern for others, to be selfless in nature and to lend a helping hand is absolutely awesome. I truely feel in my heart, that you all fit in this catagory. I could never thank you enough for your efforts, wether my gear is found or not. Diving has always been something that sparked my interest, but after this expierience I can't wait to someday be a part of your community. It would be a privelege!

Thank You so Much, Happy Trails to You All Wether They Be On Land or Under the Sea, You Rock! :supz: Blane
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Looking forwad to diving with you some day Blane!
Warning: Getting scuba certified, may change your life dramatically.
At least I know it did for me! :supz: