Pics from Three tree today

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
bnboly
Submariner

Pics from Three tree today

Post by bnboly »

Tom Nic, Bassman and I did Three Tree today - sorry nothing is id'd yet -

It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bill, your getting realy good at taking pictures =D>
I sure need to get me a camera!
The list keeps building.
Dry gloves
Pee Valve
Weezle
Camera
Bigger tanks
#-o I need more scuba units #-o
I think I need to get busy and sell some stuff on craigs list.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

I had never seen urchins at 3Tree before- then last time I was there, we went a little farther north, and there is a concrete base with a rope attached to a box that is attempting to float to the surface- it is about 10' off the bottom. I looked in the open top, and amidst a bunch of scallop shells, were grape-sized urchins. How big was this one you pictured? And whereabouts?
gomi_
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The White Sea Urchin was about baseball sized and was in one of the tire piles directly off the entry. Bill's been finding about one a dive at various spots.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's a green urchin- you can tell by the dark tube feet. They aren't always this dark on greens, but are never dark on whites.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Greg Jensen wrote:It's a green urchin- you can tell by the dark tube feet. They aren't always this dark on greens, but are never dark on whites.
Thanks Greg!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scubaoctogirl
Just Settling In

Re: Pics from Three tree today

Post by scubaoctogirl »

Third and fourth pics are whelk eggs I think.
Don't eat octos...count them!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by WylerBear »

Greg Jensen wrote:It's a green urchin- you can tell by the dark tube feet. They aren't always this dark on greens, but are never dark on whites.
Don't white urchins have longer spines as well? I think that's what I was told.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

The difference in spine length is not noticeable- one-fourth the test width in whites, one-fifth in greens. And this seems to vary somewhat with size, with little ones appearing to have proportionately longer spines. Whites have fewer spines than greens.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Greg Jensen wrote:The difference in spine length is not noticeable- one-fourth the test width in whites, one-fifth in greens. And this seems to vary somewhat with size, with little ones appearing to have proportionately longer spines. Whites have fewer spines than greens.
Greg, we are very lucky to have your expertise! :salute:

Are the eggs in the first picture painted greenling eggs? I love trying to ID future babies.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!