Doin' Iceland March 2008

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Doin' Iceland March 2008

Post by Diver_C »

Going to Iceland in March for two weeks to visit BbbleMkr and RSDancey, and do some ker-azy cold, cold water diving. :fish: In my research, I have found lots of places to go diving, and majority of them do not require a boat, just a car to get there. How does Iceberg Lagoon grab ya'? Yup, that's a dive site, and yup, icebergs are floating in it. :fish: Even though the water will be just above freezing, the visibility will be tremendous, over a 100', and a lot dives are protected from the very windy winter conditions frequently found topside. Hopefully, won't need one of these :violent3: after the diving (heavy duty undergarment and icecap will be worn). Hope to do lots of diving, will post reports, and take lots of pictures! :supz: Should be lots of fun seeing Delaina and Ryan, Iceland, and what's under all that cold, cold water!!! Can hardly wait :bounce:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Don't forget your Weezle! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

That is super. I hope you bring back lots of pictures (topside and UW if possible). What an amazing opportunity. Have fun!

-Ben
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I was just thinking - be sure to get your regulators serviced before you go and ensure they're sealed... free flowing regs will be a real possibility.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Thanks Doug WP. One set are due for servicing for another month, but did have both of them adjusted/checked a couple weeks ago. Both come factory sealed with environmental cap - yay!

You might want to go through the same checks yourself there DWP. Your regs may not know how to function in warm water. :)
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Thanks Doug WP. One set aren't due for servicing for another month, and the other not until July, but did have both of them adjusted/checked a couple weeks ago. Both come factory sealed with environmental cap - yay!

You might want to go through the same checks yourself there DWP. Your regs may not know how to function in warm water. :)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Diver_C wrote:Thanks Doug WP. One set aren't due for servicing for another month, and the other not until July, but did have both of them adjusted/checked a couple weeks ago. Both come factory sealed with environmental cap - yay!

You can say THAT again! #-o

Yes, I'm actually going through my regulators, ensuring o-rings and hoses are in proper working order. My regulators are still WELL within their service time-frame so I don't need them serviced but I am checking to be sure they're ready for the warm-water shock!!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Re: Doin' Iceland March 2008

Post by Diver_C »

Been here in Reykjavik nearly a week, visiting Ryan (RSDancey), Delaina (BbbleMkr), and their daughter Teela. Ryan, Delaina, and I started our weekend of diving today. We dove twice today, and will do two more dives tomorrow. Today was not the smoothest of dives, but great fun nonetheless!! One of my strobes leaked at the surface at the first dive site, so it is now dead. Both sets of my dry gloves leaked (neoprene and blue gloves); it must be an o-ring problem (hopefully soaking them in warm, soapy water does the trick). Delaina and Ryan didn't have me bring them their backplates and wings (in hindsight, not sure where they would have fit in my suitcases, unless I wore them), so they are using rental jacket bcd's, which gave them both various weight issues. By the way, diving is super expensive, but so is everything else. Now onto the fun...

It's been relatively warm and sunny everyday. Out of the sun, it's around freezing, but in the sun, upper 30s, and at night in the 20s. But the sun is cool! For months I have been reading about their crummy, snowy, rainy, and windy weather, but not really experiencing any of that. It's driving them crazy, while I mock their "crummy" weather. I wear shorts, and people look at me weird. Who's really from Iceland, and who's from Hawaii is my question. They apparently don't get many scottish tourists either, because a kilt is beyond them too.

Today we started our diving adventure off slowly. We first went to a town 33 miles outside Reykjavik called Garður. After using a gas station's facilities, we drove to the Gardurinn pier. It is located at fish processor factory. Fresh fiskur being loaded up into boxes, which go into trucks for destinations unknown. It is a popular dive site for classes, and sure enough, there were classes going on. There were quite few divers and cars squeezing onto this pier, of course, in typical viking fashion - they don't care about lines/orderly ques, little patience for pedestrians, and are determined to go where they want to go right now!

After gearing up, we did the 8 foot BIG step off the pier. The fourth of our group was our guide, Oscar, we paid to take us to the sites, and show us where to dive. We descended into about 20 feet of water. The water was really clear, and relatively speaking not too cold, 39F (43F at Octopus Hole at the 12/06 Club Dive seemed much colder). The bottom is white sand, no silt. We saw nudibranchs, small seastars, sea urchins, flounder, and wolf-fish. The wolfies were not in holes, need orthodontia work, and are not as big as the ones seen in the Puget Sound, but still seemingly very sweet and awesome!

45 or so minutes of exploring the pier and surrounding environs, we called it a dive. We swam to the shore, then our wonderful guide got our little car (which had a cute, little trailer attached to it to fit all our tanks and stuff that wouldn't fit into the car (at $8/gal, little cars are everywhere, along with ice trucks - suv's and pick-ups with 40"+ mud tires tires for floatation)). After loading up, we hit the road, onto the next dive site.

But first to the gas station for espresso and a famous, tasty Icelandic hot dog. Anyone who's been to Iceland will tell you they make awesome dogs. It's so true! They also use two different types of onions, and sauces. Everything about them is great, even the cost. It doesn't matter where you goes, you get a high quality, tasty snack! They don't have much in the way of meat products, so what they do have, they make sure it's good!

After chowing down, we drove in search of a ravine, a lava ravine - some whole in the ground, made from lava flows. There are no signs or anything marking this gravel road we are looking for, but we eventually did turn down the correct one. After the car bottomed-out a few times, we arrived. The sun was still shining brightly, and not an spec of wind to speak of, just some abandoned equipment, and the ravine.

Ryan wasn't feeling too well, and didn't want to burn himself out for tomorrow, so Ryan and Delaina stayed topside, lounging in the sun, apparently trying to figure out what tired phrase I would use to describe the dive once back ashore. Unlike the first dive, this dive was primarily fresh water, warmer (a balmy 46F), not very long length wise (100 yards?), and deeper (78 versus 54). It wasn't very long because the lava rocks close off both ends. It would have been interesting to delve further into the rocks than I went at both ends (there were holes big enough), but I didn't want to make Oscar all that nervous. HIDs totally light up the ravine, while split-fins stir things up. The ravine was very narrow. To turn around, I would do a 180 flip with a barrel roll. Did see a couple flounder, but that was it for sealife. The rest were lava rocks, a semi truck's frame, a clothes washer, a ladder, and an abandoned pipe leading from the abandoned equipment topside. Oh yes, a telephone. It was off the hook. With no current and non-split fins, it took very little energy to explore the ravine. One of wiggle of a fin, and off I went. The view from 70 feet was pretty darn cool...

Delaina and Ryan seemed to be enjoying the sun, as well being entertained by my fin removal "trick". I don't know if it really was a trick, but I was being very careful not to drop them, or roll off the little ledge I was on.

Well, off to bed (we're seven hours ahead of you). Tomorrow, we're off to Lake Thingvellir National Park to dive the famous lava ravine Silfra Cathedral. Bu-bye for now!

Rich
Last edited by Diver_C on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sweet!!

Jacket BC's kick- :bootyshake: !! #-o ](*,) :dontknow: :vom:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

Sounds like cool dives. Yep, we vikings don't like to wait, I am about the same way. Alaska water was 41F two weeks ago, it was like oregon including the weather.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great report, Rich. Glad you had fun and that our Icelandic contingent is doing well also.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Update: we moved today's diving to Thursday, so today we did nothing but lounge around in a geo-thermic heated hot-tub, drank a bunch, and ate excellent food (thanks Delaina)! :supz: It is a rough life. Oh yeah, sorry for the various typos in my other post. #-o And yes, I often write for a living. :dontknow: Will try to proofread better next time.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

No kidding about the orthodontia work needed. Those wolf-fish look like they're wearing Billy-Bob teeth!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics and great reports Rich. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for letting us dive vicariously with you!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

This is Ryan's Iceland Report for this past week:

Goðan Danin!

We had a fairly eventful week here in Iceland. Rich arrived from the US on Sunday, and he’s been exploring Reykjavik and recovering from the jetlag. In addition to all sorts of packaged food products he brought for Delaina to use as bribes at the Jr. High (apparently packets of Kool-Aide are like cigarettes in prison over there), he also cooly walked through customs with about 50 pounds of SCUBA gear!

Rich spent some time researching local dive shops and talking price for needed gear & guides for the dive scene, and by Saturday we were ready to go! Our friendly local dive guide Æsgeir (“Oscar” in for you enska-speakers) came right to our house and picked us up to take us to the dive shop, which is conveniently located just a block down the street from CCP. In the “off” (i.e. cold & snowy) season, the shop is closed, but can be opened by special arrangement (which Rich took care of). We picked up BCD’s (the inflatable bits that allow you to control your buoyancy in the water), weights and tanks. Rich brought our regulators, our exposure protection, our gauges and my light with him from the US. “Renting” Æsgeir, his car, 8 tanks, plus the gear cost just ISK50-60K (about $800 bucks!) We set out, hoping that Iceland lived up to its reputation as one of the world’s most interesting dive locations.

Our first destination was a little town outside of Reykjavik named Garður. We drove all the way back to Keflavik, then turned right to the coast to get to this location. The dive site itself is a mirror image of Keystone Jetty on Whidbey Island, without the ferries or the old piling structures. To the north, there is a long concrete dock / breakwater, which protects a football-field sized bay bounded on the south by sandy hills. The dive site is sensitive to current, and in Iceland, it is very hard to predict current flows, so you take you chances (as with so many other things in Iceland) and hope for the best. Saturday’s best was pretty darn good!

For some reason, the Norse Gods are smiling on Rich. The weather has been unbelievable here every day since his arrival. Blue skies, no wind, just exceptional. Saturday was more of the same. As we stood around in our warm undergarments it became obvious that OVERHEATING was a real possibility. When we showed up at the dive site we were surprised to see a lot of divers already there. The presence of snorkels gave them away instantly: It was a PADI Open Water class out for certification. Baby divers! While we were maneuvering our car & trailer full of tanks onto the breakwater, yet another big van showed up, snuck by us (narrowly missing our car, and narrowly avoiding tipping over into the drink), and disgorged even more divers! What had promised to be a quiet, isolated site was turning into Cove 2 rapidly. The language of diving is universal, and the language of English is nearly so in Iceland, so we were able to have a quick conversation with the people who had already been down once that day about visibility (reported to be great) and current (reported to be nil). With a site report in hand, and Æsgeir’s help getting our equipment configured, we were swiftly dressed and ready to hit the beach.

Except we were not going in at the beach, but rather jumping 8 feet or so off the dock. Not a big deal, but you always worry when going into the water for the first time with new gear, new weights, etc. that something is going to go wrong. If you jump into open water and something doesn’t work, your options are limited (and mostly involve swimming really, really hard). Luckily, we had no major problems (but Delaina was a bit underweight, and ended up toting some clip on weight bags for the rest of the dive. We quickly did bubble checks, and compass orientation, and prepared to submerge.

The water on this day in Iceland was crystal clear, and blue. The last time I saw blue water was in the Cayman Islands. That water was close to 75F. This water was a lot closer to 40F. Brrrr! Luckily for us that’s well within our comfort range and we were all dressed appropriately for the dive. Things started off quite well, with a smooth descent to about 20fsw (feet of seawater). There is less nutrient in the water here than there is in the Puget Sound, and less life. There was a small amount of sea weed, and some kelp with stalks less than 3 feet tall. We saw relatively few invertebrates but I did see a few nudibranch and some large short-spined purple sea urchins. The highlight of the dive was greeting a familiar face: A wolf-eel type fish that would not have looked out of place anywhere in Puget Sound! Rich took some pictures for posterity, but he lost one of his 2 strobes to a flooded enclosure so the lighting was a bit challenging.

Right after we saw the wolf-eels, things started to go sideways. We had a loss of team cohesion as Æsgeir went over a small rise and dropped over a cliff to the bottom at about 40fsw. Delaina & I followed him, but I realized that Rich had stopped to take more pictures. If we all went over the edge, Rich would likely not know where we had gone, so I stopped and tried to get his attention to get him to follow us down. While doing so, I realized that one of the weights in my weight system had come undone and was hanging off my BCD by a single plastic clip. Struggling to replace the weight, get Rich’s attention and not lose sight of Delaina or Æsgeir, I lost buoyancy control and floated gently to the surface. Figuring I was better off just dealing with the weight on the bottom, I dumped all the air I could from BCD and suit, dropped back to the other divers, and got Delaina’s attention to come over and get my weight fixed. With all this drama now complete, I finally got back into the water column in some kind of reasonable trim, and we turned the dive and headed back up the slope.

We passed a large school of small minnows, and Delaina found an old bicycle. We ventured out into the sandy bottom of the protected bay, but kept mostly to the small kelp “forest” After about 40 minutes, Delaina & I surfaced and began swimming in to shore. Rich & Æsgeir did about 5 minutes more at depth before joining us. On the beach, my equipment problems continued, with a weight coming lose again, and my dive light slipping out of its pocket. I ended up doffing my gear in about 3 feet of water and carrying it in pieces up to the street for our exit. Unfortunately, I had a partially blocked sinus, likely due to our flight from Shanghai, and the pressure in my head was giving me a splitting headache. At that point I was done for the day, although there was a plan to do a second dive. Its better to know when to quit in this sport than to force yourself into a place where accidents happen.

After a sandwich and some OJ, my head finally started to clear up and we got the gear packed away, and the car navigated out of the tight confines of the breakwater. Rich and Æsgeir decided to go ahead with the 2nd dive, so we drove to the location, a real “hole” in the middle of a lava field to the east of Grindavik (near the Blue Lagoon), in the center of the Reykjarnnes peninsula. This is really one of those unique Icelandic things that you have to see to believe – miles and miles of broken, sharp lava that would be death to the ankles of anyone who tried to walk across it. The dive site is a crack in the earth, about 10 feet wide and 50 feet long, filled with freezing meltwater.

Rich and Æsgeir geared up and jumped right in, diving down into the crack to a depth of about 70ffw (feet of fresh water). The site has a cavern area at one end and a cave at the other. Since we didn’t come prepared for overhead diving, Rich and Æsgeir stayed primarily in the sunlight zone. They reported finding a washing machine, a ladder, and the remains of a semi-trailer, in addition to some minnows and a few flounder. There is some seawater influx into the site, and Rich reported seeing & feeling several thermoclines (places where the water temperature changes) and haloclines (places where the salinity changes). After about 40 minutes the two surfaced and crawled up out of the crack like explorers from another world.

We were scheduled to dive again on Sunday, but I woke up feeling crummy, and Æsgeir apparently hurt his back; after sorting our plans out Rich & Delaina agreed with Æsgeir to call the diving off for the day and reschedule for this Thursday, when we will travel to Sifra, one of the few places in the world where you can see the European plate and the American plate as they slowly separate forming the Atlantic ocean. The rift valley between the plates includes a deep chasm, filled with glacial meltwater, where the water is said to be so clear that people get vertigo from the feeling of “floating in air”. I’ll be very much looking forward to diving it!

This is the week before Easter, and the holiday is fast approaching. Reykjavik shuts down for the holiday, so we’re planning on laying in a lot of food to tide us over until next week; we’re basically feeding 5 people now; Delaina, Teela & I, plus Teela’s current boyfriend Jon and Rich. We have a busy, happy household!

Until next time, love & best wishes from the (formerly) snowy land of Ice!

Ryan, Delaina & Teela!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

So, diving Silfra at Þingvellir was just about the craziest best dive adventure ever! From 15 minutes before arriving at the site until we left the Þingvellir Hotel, it was an unbelievable experience in seemingly true Viking fashion. On the way to the site, which is located in a national park that has a lot of historical as well as geological importance, the wind was blowing hard, and had been doing so since the night before. It was so windy, the last 15 minutes of the drive had snow whipping across the road at such speed there were times no one could see anything out the windshield. I think we were all wondering, including out guide, Æsgeir (pronounced "Oscar"), if the car would remain on the winding road, or drive off, onto the surrounding lava rocks. Icelanders may never be known for their driving skills, but I was impressed that when we could see out the windshield, the road was still in front of us. Finally we arrived at the site, a simple turn-off from the road. No signs, no buildings, nothing. Mind you, this dive site is world famous, so I was expecting something; even it was just a sign acknowledging we were at Silfra. Nope.

We cracked open the doors, and the wind whipped them open the rest of the way. Marvelous. As we carefully walked around on the hard, very uneven, icy terrain, I think Delaina, Ryan, and I were wondering what the hell we were doing out there, let alone why on earth we were going diving, and finally, how did we end up in Iceland of all places. We walked across the road, and towards what we thought was the dive entrance. Down by the water, it appeared we were going to have to leap outwards quite a ways to reach the water. In my mind, I was wondering where the stairs were (I saw pictures of stairs on the web, but I was assuming I was mistaken). Well, back to the car, and the "fun" of getting ready for diving in the very cold, icy, and windy weather. Eeesh. Delaina had seen enough at that point, and said "ney" (no) to diving. Diving at that point did not fit into any of her descriptors of what "fun diving" was. We were all saddened. Maybe if this was just another run of the mill dive site, we all would have bailed too, but this was Silfra, time to Viking-up, and see this the wonders of this site.

Æsgeir had friends meet us at the dive site. As soon as we got back to the car, first thing we all did was the most important - get into our dry suits. It was very cold, so exposure suits were protection from the elements not only below the surface, but also above the surface today. I put no fog stuff on my mask. Shortly thereafter, the stuff was frozen on the lenses. Looking into the car, I could read Delaina's mind - we were nuts!

Once we were all geared up, the locals suggested we carry our gear to the entrance. A little skeptical of that idea, I reluctantly did as suggested. We very carefully walked over hinterland to the actual dive site entrance, which wasn't what we initially looked at, and which did have stairs. It was a rather treacherous walk. The terrain was super slippery, as well as super uneven.

Just steps from the stairs, I slipped and fell - marvelous. Since I landed on my well-covered posterior, the pointy, icy lava rocks surprisingly didn't hurt, but still, it didn't feel all that great, and it wasn't the best way to start a dive. As I was sitting on the snow trying to figure out how to get into my harness and backplate (there was no obvious place to prop up my rig), I noticed a broken plastic piece lying in the snow. Not initially realizing where it came from, I wasn't worried, but then realized it probably came from me. And yup, sure enough, it did. It was the exhaust port for my primary second stage. Sigh. Apparently the exhaust port is very important to keep the regulator from free-flowing, because that's all the regulator did. Not sure why, since the flappy thing was in place. Hoping the problem was simply the freezing cold weather, I got helped into my rig (thank you Ryan), and carefully walked down the stairs and into the "warm" water. Even though it was 37F, relatively speaking, it was quite warm, and pleasant to be in, away from that wind and slippery terrain. My primary still free-flowed, so that was not good. Ryan trudged back across the icy trail to the car, got Delaina's regulator set-up, and came back. I stayed in the water, chatting the people and looking down into the clear water. After Ryan switched out the regulators (thank you very much Delaina and Ryan), we were off!

Silfra Cathedral and Lagoon here we come! Æsgeir had already decided that due to the horrid elements, we were going to combine two separate dives, Cathedral and Lagoon, into one long dive. Normally a second set of tanks is stashed topside, at the end of Cathedral so divers can switch out before crossing over into Lagoon. It was way too windy and cold for any tank switching that day, so we simply had to keep our breathing to a minimum.

We dropped right down between the North American and European tectonic plates, to the bottom of the Atlantic, which was 130 FFW. Pretty cool to be at 130 feet below the surface, rollover, then look up and see the surface! The bottom had no sea life, was very narrow, and a tad crowded for all the people we had, but amazing to think about where we were on the Earth at that moment - touching to different continents, in crystal clear water! Ryan's and my HIDs lit it all up, drowning out the others' dive lights. We had more diving to do, so we didn't stay there long. We ascended until the lava rocks allowed us to go forward, through the "v" in the plates, onward towards Lagoon.

The dive was spectacular! It was crystal clear water running between two continents! I realize I have already said that, but it is quite the unique place in our Earth where continents have met, and are now drifting apart. People in the know say the drift apart about 2 cm per year. Because it wasn't particularly sunny topside, it was pretty dark running through the rocks. And without my second strobe, my pictures were not as bright as I wanted them. I hope they are bright enough to give you an idea what it was like diving through the continents.

Unfortunately, Ryan still had to deal with his irritating BCD, and its slippery weight pocket. Unlike last time, the pocket fell completely out. Luckily, it almost hit one of our group in the head, so it was grabbed before it went to the bottom, and given back to Ryan. To avoid future problems from it, Ryan held onto it with his hand the rest of the dive.

At the end of Cathedral, we were in about two feet of water getting over to Lagoon. It was kind of funny trying not to hit the bottom, while getting over to the other side. I felt like a whale in a creek bed. Lagoon is not very deep, and much wider than Cathedral, so sunlight was much more prevalent, and it was easier to explore the nooks and crannies. Still no sea life, at least that I saw. At some point in the dive we took a sharp left up some finger waterway (glad we had Æsgeir). We were going against the current, but it wasn't very strong. Not sure why, but still had lots of gas despite being 40 minutes into a dive that was not only deep at times, but also kind of a lot of work going up down, around, and through the tectonic plate maze. A few minutes later, I noticed people "beaching" themselves on lava rocks - the dive was done.

Alrighty… now that we have exited the water, back to the cars. During the surreal dive, I had forgotten about the nasty weather looming overhead. It took less than a minute before all my focus was the weather and the walk back. With the wind it was probably about 0 to 5F. Not only was everything on us quickly freezing up, but the blowing snow was now sticking on us too. And don't forget the terrain - very uneven, icy lava rocks with itty-bitty hills and valleys to shake things up. And if that wasn't enough, sometimes there were snow patches 6 to 10" deep. Dry suits were a lifesaver, and so was the thought that at some point the hike would end. Meanwhile… don't slip and fall.

Yay we finally made it back to the cars! In reality, the walk probably lasted just over ten minutes, but it sure seemed longer, and it certainly wasn't as long as it took to separate ourselves from our dive gear. We were literally frozen from head to toe, coated in layers of ice. No one could disconnect their dry suit hoses or inflator hoses, or unzip their dry suits. But no one really was interested in getting out of their dry suits just yet. In addition to those pleasant problems, I had the added bonus of not being able to move my hands because my gloves were frozen. Someone came over, and eventually was able to breathe enough heat onto my dry suit hose to disconnect it (thank you). I was on my way to freedom - yay! Ryan was still stuck to his, and the other guys were working on their freedom too. The whole scene was a tad comical.

By this point, Delaina had come back from her hike to the dive site entrance. She hiked over there thinking that's where we would exit. Being the nice, thoughtful person she is, she did grab my regulators and tool from there. She also brought back a couple of very cold women, who were unprepared for the weather (canvas tennis shoes, no real warm clothing). Our guide's and a friend's girlfriends had not ventured out to see their Vikings dive before, so they picked today to see what it was all about. They weren't out for very long, before that had enough.

Upon Delaina's arrival back at the car, she quickly surmised our frozen problems. She helped me with my buckles (thank you Delaina), then I hopped in the car to start defrosting. Delaina then started working on Ryan, who still firmly attached to his dive rig. Meanwhile Æsgeir and friends were going through unusual gymnastic-like maneuvers as they were trying to get out of their rigs and drysuits. There was a hotel nearby, so they sent their women to get some hot water. Despite repeated attempts to break free of the dive rig, Ryan wasn't having any luck, so Delaina cleared out the front seat for Ryan and his BCD to get into the car (I think with tank too). After a few minutes Ryan was finally free of his dive rig - wahoo! Shortly thereafter, my ice-crusted gloves finally started loosening up. About five minutes later I was able to detach the dry gloves from the suit's rings, and my hood thawed enough so I could take it off. Someone came by asking Ryan if he wanted hot water so he could unzip his dry suit. He smiled, and kindly declined the offer, since the dry suit was what was keeping him warm, and no undergarment would be comfortable out in those elements. Meanwhile, a new set of divers was surveying the scene.

After loading up the trailer and car, Ryan and I had to figure out how to get out of our frozen suits. We had three choices (a) use the hot water, unzip, and freeze outside, (b) walk to the hotel, strip, then freeze on the walk back, or (c) drive to the hotel to defrost and change. We chose (c). We were so frozen, no chance of getting the inside of the car wet. Five minutes later, and we were in the hotel working on getting out of our dry suits. Naturally, I had complications. My dive boot laces were frozen solid, therefore, couldn't untie them. I tried using the hot water in the bathroom, but for some reason, the water wasn't hot. [Note: Iceland does not use hot water heaters. Their hot water is naturally heated by the geothermic conditions, and simply piped around the country. It is not possible to run out of hot water, but it is very possible to burn the hide right off you, if you are not careful.] I walked back out to Delaina and Ryan. I asked them to get me some hot water, but Ryan was determined to get those laces undone without it. And ten or so minutes later, voila - the laces were undone. 45 minutes later we were home. What a crazy adventure that was!

It was most unfortunate Delaina was not with us diving, but I hope Ryan and her get to dive Silfra during more hospitable weather. There is a lot to explore in Silfra, and one dive is not enough. By June, Iceland will have something like 22+ hours of sunlight, and certainly better weather. Even though the first day of spring has already occurred back in Seattle, here it is still considered winter, although spring appears to be just around the corner. If you get a chance to visit Iceland (bring lots of money - everything is super expensive), and dive Silfra!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow! :prayer: Rich! :prayer: What an AMAZING, well written report! What a fantastic experience! Even though it was very challenging physically I know you wouldn't have traded it for anything... what a privilege to get to dive that site, and what a cool dive to enter into your log!

Thanks so much for sharing... I could "feel" the ice crunch and the suits freezing... good job!

OH, and the pics are great! It's so hard to imagine water that clear...

Be safe,

-Tom
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Joe (Fishstiq) was talking about Silfra one day after he read about it, or saw it on tv or something. I wasn't really interested until reading your trip report. Rich, that sounds just sweet! Your description gave me the shivers... :pale: But it seems based on your description and photos that the diving was WELL worth the freezing temps. I just can't imagine how cool that must have been. I hope you are able to post some more photos, that place is simply amazing!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Unfortunately, my time with Delaina, Teela, and Ryan finally came to an end yesterday, Tuesday; back to making a living and home. After about 10 hours flying through the sky (chasing the sun), and being up for 26 hours, I was finally able to roll into bed, curl up with cat and dog, and go to sleep. However, with the time change, my body thinks it early in the afternoon, not 6 a.m., so didn't sleep for very long. Oh well....

Thanks again Delaina, Ryan, and Teela for everything!!!!!!! Awesome times!!!!!! Can't wait until I can see you-all again!

Thanks everyone for all the looks at our Iceland dive reports, and pictures. If you want to see more pictures I took, click the "My Diving Photos" at the bottom, in my signature. Here's the final report for Doin' Iceland March 2008 brought to you by Ryan:

Hello again from Reykjavík!

In the 20th Century, our understanding of the natural world expanded to include wonders of the extremely cosmic and extraordinarily sub-atomic. But for most people the only exposure they will have to those things is pictures in books or images on the TV. Supernova & quarks, while interesting, are the domain of astronomers and high-energy physics.

In 1912, Alfred Wegener proposed that the earth as we know it is not static, but that continents drift over millions of years, and the theory that grew from his observations is today known as plate tectonics. This is 20th century revisionist science that we see all around us every day and experience personally. Geology is not confined to libraries, observatories or laboratories. When someone explains that the mountains around Seattle are caused in part by the great pacific plate slipping under the north American plate, heating the crust and deforming it like wrinkles in fabric, causing pools of magma to form and build volcanoes, and shifting in sudden spurts we feel as earthquakes, ancient mysteries once attributed to the gods are made comprehensible.

Last Saturday, Rich, Delaina & I went to the place where the Atlantic ocean is born.

In 930, the Alþingi met at Þingvellir valley in south western Iceland, about an hour’s drive from Reykjavik. The Alþingi is one of the world’s oldest parliamentary systems; created some 800 years before the United States. Þingvellir is as dramatic a landscape as you are likely to find anywhere in the world. It is a rift valley, formed as the European & North American continental plates slowly pull apart from each other, filling with seeping lava. Starting here in the far north, and running the length of the world, the mid-Atlantic ridge is formed as new Earth is made between the gigantic tectonic plates, creating the Atlantic ocean. The plates are moving apart at a rate of 2 meters per century, or about 2mm every year.

Of all the places to dive in Iceland, the most famous is Silfra. Silfra is a crack in the earth that is caused by the expansion of the mid-Atlantic ridge, and is filled with crystal clear glacial meltwater that has filtered through the basaltic & lava rocks surrounding the site. This fresh water is very cold, averaging about 3-4C (less than 40F) year round. We were able (with Rich’s able help) to coordinate with our local dive shop and we made the trip to Þingvellir to do this dive with great anticipation.

The day started out with perfect weather, clear, and fairly warm (for March in Iceland). The sun was bright and we were all wearing our sunglasses. Our intrepid guide Æsgeir met us at about 10am and we headed out of the city towards the valley in great spirits. We stopped at a gas station / convenience store just out of town to meet some of Æsgeir’s diving buddies. We planned to put 6 divers in the water. After making our introductions we finished the drive to the site, though the last 10 minutes were in a near-white out condition as the blowing snow crossing the road made it almost impossible to see anything. Reykjavik is essentially at sea level, but the snow level is only a couple of hundred feet higher, and the valley itself is well above that point, so the snow which has cleared from the streets of town still lies on the countryside. Luckily we made it to the parking lot without incident.

Æsgeir pointed across the road to a small depression and said “that’s the dive site”. Delaina, Rich & I walked over and looked into a hole filled with water, and started wondering what exactly we had gotten ourselves into.

It was at that point that Delaina decided that discretion was the better part of valor and opted out of the dive. As later events were to demonstrate, that turned out to be a very lucky decision.

We walked back to the car, and Æsgeir explained that the actual dive site was slightly further into the rocks than we had gone and there was a ladder giving access to the water. Rich & I walked to where Æsgeir directed and sure enough, we found a very nice entry / exit point that looked like it would pose little problem for access. Our spirits renewed we returned to the car and got geared up. Shortly thereafter, we trudged our way back to the entrance and got ready to dive. Unfortunately, Rich took a tumble near the ladder and broke a part of his regulator. After testing, it proved to be unsuitable to dive with, so I ran back to the car to get Delaina’s regulator and swapped gear with Rich before sending him down the ladder into the water. I came right after him, and we were all quickly ready to begin the dive.

The site lived up to its reputation. The crystal clear water over the dramatic crack in the earth lead into the darkness below. Following Æsgeir we descended into the tight confines of the crevasse. Many times I was able to put one hand on Europe and one hand on America, which is something of a symbol of my current role at CCP. As we went deeper, the variances in the walls limited the amount of sunlight that could reach down to the depths we were at, and I was glad to have my light. At some point, one of the weights I was using slipped free, and I ended up carrying 10kilos with me by hand for the rest of the dive, which did nothing for my buoyancy or trim, but wasn’t a critical failure. We grouped up at 100 feet, did a quick series of “OK”s to each other, and then dropped to the bottom, about 30 feet below. For a minute, we enjoyed the view up 130 feet to the surface glimpsed overhead, seeing all the divers in the water column. Then it was time to ascend, coming up slowly and carefully to about the 60 foot mark, where we left the deepest part of the crack behind and swam into a larger (but shallower) portion of the river.

We slowly swam and drifted over an incredible landscape of massive boulders and deep crevices. Shining my powerful light down these holes revealed nothing but darkness; they extended beneath us to unknowable depths. Eventually we found ourselves on the surface, drifting just feet over the rocks & silt in the river, and then swimming into a side channel to make our exit. Bundled up for warmth, with many cold-water dives in Puget Sound as preparation, we had enjoyed the experience tremendously with almost no discomfort due to the cold.

Things were about to change.

We emerged from the water about 100 meters from the parking area and had to hike across the frozen & pitted ground to get back to the cars. We had to be careful, not only because the icy footing was treacherous and we were still wearing our full kit, but because the ground featured a number of ankle-breaking holes and pits that had to be carefully avoided. And then the wind started to blow. The wind in Iceland comes and goes, but when it is really blowing it can be quite fierce. That morning we’d had some wind getting suited up, but on the return, the wind just blasted into us. The temperature was already hovering around freezing, and with the wind, it dropped quickly to sub-zero-C temps. And we were covered with fresh water.

Within minutes we iced over. Back at the car, we were moving like robots. Rich’s dry gloves were literally frozen solid. He could not move his fingers. My drysuit & gloves were covered with about a quarter-inch of ice which crackled as I moved. I became very concerned about the plastic parts of our gear, and did not want to shatter anything in the cold. I got Rich to hold my tank steady on the edge of the transport cart, and started to take off my rig, when I discovered I was literally frozen into it. The various bolt snaps and quick release connections had seized up and I could not get free. With a bit of work I was able to get out of the straps of the BC, and holding my reg, my BC, and my tank, I retreated to the car, where I was able to use my breath to warm up the connections enough to unfasten the rig and finally get out. Rich was in the back seat behind me doing much the same thing, but was slowed by the ice on his gloves. Once free, I went to the back to help get the gear stored. One of the other divers asked if I wanted “out of the drysuit”, which I laughed at, because bundled up inside I was pretty warm, but once out of it I would be wearing nothing but my undergarment and would get real cold, real quick. As odd as it sounded, my frozen, ice-crusted dive suit was a warmer environment than anything else available.

At the end of the day we relocated to the nearby tourist hotel lobby (where I’m sure we made quite a sight!) and got out of our suits, and eventually got Rich out of his frozen boots as well. We managed to pack up the rest of our gear and then Æsgeir drove us back to Reykjavik. More than 2 hours after we got out of the water, as I was putting our fins onto a towel to dry, I realized that they were still rock-solid covered with ice.