Alki Fishing Reef

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Alki Fishing Reef

Post by lamont »

Dove this site with ljj today from the shore (we saw some people who looked like they were diving off of porthole's new boat on this site as we were gearing up). The goal of the dive, actually, was to investigate a NOAA AWOIS target:
VESSEL: Barge
AWOIS RECNO: 53524
GPS LAT: 47.555930555556
GPS LNG: -122.40332222222
GPS QUALITY: Med
AWOIS DEPTH: N/A
PSDEM DEPTH: 25
HISTORY:

CL1054(72) 1972; Department of Transportation offical correspondance reports the wreck of a barge in Lat. 47/33/22 Lon. 122/24/07.5 NAD27. The intention of the owners is to abandon barge in place. The wreck is reported to be in 33 feet of water with 23 feet of water over the wreck at MLLW. The USCG does not entend to establish a wteck buoy or other marker. (KRW 11/03/06)
We may have actually found this, but it ain't much. It doesn't look like anything that ever once floated and more a large 20'x20' concrete mooring block. It is consistent with having been down there since 1972, though, since it is encrusted with metridiums.

To start with we dropped in at low tide which was interesting. I suggest doing this site closer to high water. We had to hike a long ways out and then had to scooter on the surface quite a ways out. We finally found some deeper water and dropped down and found a roughly 33 fsw contour. We immediately found huge fields of sea pens, along with sea stars and big fat looking nudibranchs chowing down on them. At 10 minutes running along the contour at 33 fsw we hit a small tire reef that was also encrusted and had a huge swarm of shrimp fry hanging out in the middle of it. At about 18 minutes runtime along the contour we found the mooring block (about 3k feet south of the mee kwa mooks entrance). We went another 5 minutes south and didn't find anything else. We turned and went back deeper and picked up the fishing reef. Laura saw a medium-big (10') sixgill right when we got to the reef, but it shot off and was gone before I saw it.

Laura had her vid camera, so stay tuned for the youtube link when she's done putting it together...

If anyone else goes back down there and wants to try to find the tires or the block at *high* tide, remember that you need to spend 5 minutes extra swimming offshore until you get through all the eel grass and that other junk that got in my props. And then it'll be a 43 foot contour closer to high tide than a 33 foot contour.

If anyone finds something that looks more like a barge, lemme know as well... I'm curious if we found the mooring block but missed the wreck... We went by the block on the deep end, but didn't check what was on the shallow end...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Alki Fishing Reef

Post by CaptnJack »

"mee kwa mooks entrance"?? where's that I'm not familar with that name...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Nice video. I never was that interested in diving the Fishing Reef before but I guss I'll have to try it out now...and buy a scooter - Thanks :angryfire: :smt024
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:"mee kwa mooks entrance"?? where's that I'm not familar with that name...
the stairs and parking there are part of the mee kwa mooks park:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... iwloc=addr
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ahhh the viewpoint across the street, gotcha. That technically has a different name: "Emma Schmitz Viewpoint". I take it the AWOIS target is the wreck symbol a little was to the south of the fishing reef?
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3973
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:Ahhh the viewpoint across the street, gotcha. That technically has a different name: "Emma Schmitz Viewpoint".
yeah, there's a sign further south for emma schmitz viewpoint, but it might be all the same thing, dunno...
I take it the AWOIS target is the wreck symbol a little was to the south of the fishing reef?
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3973
yup. the AWOIS database is what is behind all the notations on the NOAA charts, and that's the target that I'm talking about.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah the names of all the little viewpoints along Beach drive are pretty random (at least to me, the Seattle Parks website has a history bit on alot of their naming conventions tho). I've always wondered about that "wreck" symbol to the south. Now I know :)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Yes, yet another dive on the reef...

Nope.. .no seals or sea lions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtmuJakYODc
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

This sounds like a site Ihave dove with my Zodiac called West Seattle Fishing Reef or something like that. Was is South of the pipeline?
Charles
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yes its maybe 1.25 miles south of the lighthouse. North of Lincoln Park tho.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/index. ... 30762&z=14

its basically straight offshore from mee kwa mooks park and a little bit south.