bonaire Dec 5-13

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

bonaire Dec 5-13

Post by Sudie »

We've got a clutch of divers heading south for a winter respite. Leaving the 5 from Seattle, and departing Bonaire on the 13th. Some are bringing their scooters, and we are trying to get the necessary permits and approvals to dive the Windjammer off the north tip. Top of the mast is 60fsw, bottom of the wreck is around 200' ish.

We've got 8 in the group and I've reserved 12 so if anyone else wants to come along, let me know.

I talked with Liz at Golden Reef Inn and she is currently recovering from Dengue, so I guess it is a bit of a problem down there.

Is anyone else from this neck of the woods heading down for that week? If so, wanna do a group dinner one night? Giby (local cook and diver) said he could do our offgassing picnic on Klein Bonaire if anyone wants.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: bonaire Dec 5-13

Post by Sounder »

Dude, Giby's goat stew and ribs are to DIE for!! Sucks Liz is sick... we took antibiotics with us just in case we caught anything icky when we were down there. I bet Tom Nic could probably be talked into a trip (if he doesn't already have another one planned)... I will be home with a 3-4 month old.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'm heading there June 6, so December's probably out for me.

Any recent travelers to Bonaire want to meet for beers :occasion5: and tell me all the best spots (cough, cough, Tom, Doug, cough \:D/ ) ? Let's see, Sounder likes Mac & Jacks, I know that...what does Tom Nic drink?

It's good to know about the dengue fever there, too. I saw a warning on the State Department's website, but I didn't know if it was just a general warning for the Caribbean. Dengue fever, and I cannot stress this enough, SUCKS!! I've had the mildest form and just wished I would die and get it over with already. If you're on land during the day (yeah, right!) wear DEET in the highest concentration your skin can stand. The mild form is bad, and the hemorrhagic version is downright deadly. But without risk, there is no reward.

Sounds like an awesome trip! It's possible I could be persuaded, I suppose....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom is a big fan of ice cold Coca-cola... and yes, I have been known to enjoy a little Mac's here and there. Course, I've recently discovered the Snoqualmie Brewery just down the street from my house and they've got a KILLER nitro pale ale!! :occasion5:
Sudie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sudie »

I just got our flights and I can't get to Chicago for the price I got the tickets. :) This is one time it pays to get things early.

We're completely excited about it, and Liz just explained the fastest and cheapest way to get the scooters down there if we want to take them. She's amazing. Love her to pieces, and it's always nice to have the recompression chamber nurse be your friend.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sudie wrote:I just got our flights and I can't get to Chicago for the price I got the tickets. :) This is one time it pays to get things early.

We're completely excited about it, and Liz just explained the fastest and cheapest way to get the scooters down there if we want to take them. She's amazing. Love her to pieces, and it's always nice to have the recompression chamber nurse be your friend.
She makes a mean rum punch too. :partyman:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

scottsax wrote:I'm heading there June 6, so December's probably out for me.

Any recent travelers to Bonaire want to meet for beers :occasion5: and tell me all the best spots (cough, cough, Tom, Doug, cough \:D/ ) ? Let's see, Sounder likes Mac & Jacks, I know that...what does Tom Nic drink?
Milkshakes? Virgin Daquiri's?

I'd be happy to hang out and talk Bonaire! Of course I'm always talking Bonaire anyway, even when people aren't buying me drinks, and usually folks are trying to get me to STOP talking Bonaire! :violent1: Shoot Doug and I a PM and we'll figure out something on the calendar.

BTW, it looks like I'll be going back in October! \:D/ :bounce: Still working out the details, and can hardly wait!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote: I'd be happy to hang out and talk Bonaire! Of course I'm always talking Bonaire anyway, even when people aren't buying me drinks, and usually folks are trying to get me to STOP talking Bonaire! :violent1: Shoot Doug and I a PM and we'll figure out something on the calendar.

BTW, it looks like I'll be going back in October! \:D/ :bounce: Still working out the details, and can hardly wait!
I am trying to figure if I can Join Tom on his trip in October! Tom, I will never get tired of you talking about Bonaire!
I just saw an add for a 2 mil. shorty wet suit for $34.99 :supz: I'm thinkin that along with a dive skin, would be a nice motivator to get me to Bonaire!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: