Reefing is NOW! Ships to Reefs meeting at Dive Expo!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Reefing is NOW! Ships to Reefs meeting at Dive Expo!

Post by nwscubamom »

Interested in Ships to Reefs and how we can make this work in Washington?

Dick Long, of the California Ships to Reefs organization, is coming to lead a workshop for us Washingtonians on Friday afternoon, May 2nd. I believe you'll need to pay admission to get into the expo - and you can pick up 50% off coupons at your local dive shop.

Here's the agenda:

REEFING IS NOW!
Tacoma Convention Center
1500 Broadway, Tacoma, Washington
May 2, 2008 2:00 – 6:00PM

2:00pm - 2:15pm Introductions
2:15pm – 2:45pm California Ships to Reefs – Past, Present and Future – Eleanore Rewerts
2:45pm – 3:15pm Discuss Current Status in Washington – Mike Racine
3:15pm – 3:45pm Discuss Worldwide Status – Dick Long
3:45pm – 4:00pm BREAK
4:00pm – 4:30pm Proposed Ecological Studies – Baseline thru Perpetuity – Andrew Lee
4:30pm – 5:00pm Economic Impact – Eleanore Rewerts
5:00pm – 6:30pm Lessons Learned/Suggestions//Questions – Dick Long and All
6:30pm – 6:00pm Action Items - All

Would be cool to incorporate the things learned from this to help us sink one of the retired Steel electric ferries - what says Washington more than a ferry? :)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Reefing is NOW! Ships to Reefs meeting at Dive Expo!

Post by sheahanmcculla »

You need to check out Mothball Fleet in California on Google Earth. Lots of ships out of commision wanting to see Davey Jones.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You don't even have to go to even 10% of the way to California, just over to Bremerton. Yes there are 3 carriers and a ton of other ships over there. Cause duh, it is a Naval shipyard. Including CV-41, "Midway". I can't figure out which on she is from this angle...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:I believe you'll need to pay admission to get into the expo - and you can pick up 50% off coupons at your local dive shop.

I saw the coupons at Borders today too.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

nwscubamom wrote:Interested in Ships to Reefs and how we can make this work in Washington?

Would be cool to incorporate the things learned from this to help us sink one of the retired Steel electric ferries - what says Washington more than a ferry? :)

I'm going to be there! :supz: :supz: :supz: Thanks Janna! =D> =D> =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

nwscubamom wrote:

NOW you're talking my language!!! :supz: I've been wanting to sink one of these since we first heard about them going out of commission! Unfortunately the S2R seminar is on Friday. I'm working. Please Please Please, we'll need a full report by the middle of the following week. See you all at the Expo Sat or Sun.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I would love to have a sunken ferry - totally "Washington." Unfortunately, with that much metal there is definitely a "salvage value" which will probably outweigh the value of a new artificial reef. BUT, who knows right?! Getting someone here to share their experience and tell their story is a step in the right direction. I would venture we'll have a S2R event in the next 10 years... there's definitely enough interest and volunteers to make it happen.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

CaptnJack wrote:You don't even have to go to even 10% of the way to California, just over to Bremerton. Yes there are 3 carriers and a ton of other ships over there. Cause duh, it is a Naval shipyard. Including CV-41, "Midway". I can't figure out which on she is from this angle...

The Midway is no longer here, she is a museum at the Navy pier in San Diego. The three carriers in Bremerton now are the Ranger CV-61, Independence CV-62 and the Constellation CV-64.
Life is good, let's dive!!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I had an old friend that served on the Connie! Gosh, I've heard so many stories about that "boat" I feel as if I've been on it!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

This http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1020/ will be guiding any reefing efforts in WA for sure. Recommended reading for those who want to understand the various issues/roadblocks/opportunities which may "sink" this effort.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Do we have to pre-register to attend this gathering? Let me know.
I would like to attend and will take the day off work...
I have wanted a ship sunk in PS for ever and a day.
Kirsten
Scubak@comcast.net
"Let's go diving!"