Desolation Resort / Diving

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Desolation Resort / Diving

Post by BASSMAN »

Has Anyone ever been here? :dontknow:

Diving , Dinner and Accommodation Packages
Available from year round . Best times for diving are in the winter months as visibility is best then.
accommodation for 2 nights in a one bedroom apt. Upgrades to cottages with a hot tub for an extra cost.
continental breakfast supplies provided in the unit.
dinner for two nights at the Laughing Oyster Restaurant. Drinks and gratuity are extra.
Discover Scuba - Can$ 169.40 per person per night ( all taxes and dive gear included) or
2 dive day (any grade level) - Can$183.20 per person per night .
1 dive day (any grade level) - Can$169.40 per person per night .
Diving packages available for larger groups based on shared accommodation in 2/3 bedroom cottages. Pease ask us for details. 1 800 399 3592 or email info@desolationresort.com
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Re: Desolation Resort / Diving

Post by BUZO71 »

Where is this?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Powell River area, BC
http://www.desolationresort.com/
As far as I can tell they aren't on the Strait of Georgia side, they are on the (east) Malaspina Inlet side of Lund

I have been to Sechelt a number of times and the thought of taking ANOTHER ferry further up the coast has been kinda a deal killer for me. But I have typically been towing a boat - lots more $$ for the ferry and generally more complicated.

There always seems to be various dive shops in Powell River (coming and going with the biz climate) so I imagine the diving/boat is actually contracted through one of them. You might ask and then check out the actual operator directly. I have had mixed results with hotel contracted charters (not in Powell River, just generally - I want to see the boat they intend to take me out on, etc.)

Let us know how it goes :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fpoole
Avid Diver

Post by fpoole »

I've been up there several times. (never can get the URL link to work properly, sorry)http://www.psdivers.com/reviewpost/show ... t=51&cat=7

Long ago, 7 yrs? and then 3 yrs doing dive camp-outs.
Dove with Alpha dive, believe it's the only shop up there.
Dove with Don (he's been up there since it was discovered) and Karen who sold the shop to Kathy & Scott.
Believe they have nice looking charter and a skiff that is used.

Diving need to be explored although some known good spot out in the straight, the inlet should be explored too.
For me, I'm going back to look around some more when I can. Two good shore dives, one the Mermaid at the campsite and the other one at the Lumber mill, just north of PR.

Have photos at the link above if you need more...
Hope that helps, believe Powell River is worth exploring and intend to do so... just like Nootka sound (just got back from a second trip there)

Hope that helps...
Frank Poole
ORV-RZR 1k & Hiking
Camping & Shooting(photos)
in the Great Nor’West

http://www.poolesweb.com/