Google Ocean

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Google Ocean

Post by spatman »

mancub
Dive-aholic

Re: Google Ocean

Post by mancub »

Sounds pretty slick. I would definitely enjoy playing with that. Not only will we be able to locate our homes, but now our favorite dive spots via online bathymetry. And who said google isn't taking over?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

been there, done that... =)

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

So cool! Thanks for the heads up, spatman.

Lamont, I'm pretty sure that someone had already come up with a search engine before Google came along. The only thing is, they did it right. (also, the site you linked to is based off an existing Google maps API and the data are rendered very poorly)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Calvin wrote: Lamont, I'm pretty sure that someone had already come up with a search engine before Google came along. The only thing is, they did it right. (also, the site you linked to is based off an existing Google maps API and the data are rendered very poorly)
Uhhh Calvin, you do know that's Lamont's site right?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Lamont = :smt024

Calvin = :dontknow:

Pez = :evil4:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Google's might be rendered in beautiful 3D, but to give Lamont some credit he DID get his 2D version done first, and he completely skipped the raising $1.8 Billion in an IPO part. =D>

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

No, I didn't know it was his site. What I was saying was that the efforts of a multibillion dollar company to offer the public maps of the ocean floor shouldn't be derisively sneezed at, even if others have put forth efforts in advance (albeit using Google's own technology). I work for Google's primary competitor (well, 50% of me does), and I was enthusiastic to read the article linked to by spatman. Maybe sarcasm was lost in translation and Lamont actually does respect/appreciate Google's intent. :dontknow:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Calvin wrote:What I was saying was that the efforts of a multibillion dollar company to offer the public maps of the ocean floor shouldn't be derisively sneezed at, even if others have put forth efforts in advance (albeit using Google's own technology).
I'm curious how much will be "restricted" ala Google Earth and military installations. There are definately some expensive (miltary) toys "hidden" out there in the ocean.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

No more or less than is restricted on Google Earth, I'm guessing.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nailer99 wrote:No more or less than is restricted on Google Earth, I'm guessing.
Depends on the resolution. I know some of the UW mapping of the Strait is restricted and/or intentionally degraded, areas alot bigger than a military base too. Its also alot easy to tell when a satellite photo is intentionally limited vs. when topography is.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

CaptnJack wrote:
Depends on the resolution. I know some of the UW mapping of the Strait is restricted and/or intentionally degraded, areas alot bigger than a military base too.
New dive site???
What are they hiding? Iteresting stuff. It sucks not being in the know!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote:New dive site???
What are they hiding? Iteresting stuff. It sucks not being in the know!
All sorts of classified toys are "out there" between the UW applied physics lab, Bangor, Everett, and Bremerton naval facilties. And I'm not a conspiracy nut either, lol. I would guess most are far too deep to be relevant to divers tho.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

CaptnJack wrote: And I'm not a conspiracy nut either, lol. .
you sure about that, seems like that white "plumbers van" has been parked across the street for a long time now!!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Pretty soon Chef will have to start whiper-shouting and we'll hear a digital clock beeping noise every 15 minutes as he mobilizes his tactical team.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I've been working on improvements. I've figured out how to do delaunay triangulation of non-gridded points to grid them and interpolate to get triangles as good as the underlying NOAA data (what i've got now is just 10m DEM of puget sound, 30m DEM extending out to the san juans, and 3m/4m DEMs of the river heads -- and the 10m/30m DEMs throw away a lot of better resolution info -- plus the ArcInfo connection to the LIDAR data screws things up sometimes). I've also been working on better visualization and playing around with color schemes and shading.

A lot of the bathymetry out there just isn't very good though.

And yes, I'm sarcastic. I'm sure if google throws a billion dollars at it, they can do Google Bathymetry better than I can.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

lamont wrote:I've been working on improvements. I've figured out how to do delaunay triangulation of non-gridded points to grid them and interpolate to get triangles as good as the underlying NOAA data (what i've got now is just 10m DEM of puget sound, 30m DEM extending out to the san juans, and 3m/4m DEMs of the river heads -- and the 10m/30m DEMs throw away a lot of better resolution info -- plus the ArcInfo connection to the LIDAR data screws things up sometimes). I've also been working on better visualization and playing around with color schemes and shading.

A lot of the bathymetry out there just isn't very good though.

And yes, I'm sarcastic. I'm sure if google throws a billion dollars at it, they can do Google Bathymetry better than I can.
But wouldn't it be a better idea to have Google throw a billion dollars at you and the resources you need to do it properly? \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Sounder wrote: But wouldn't it be a better idea to have Google throw a billion dollars at you and the resources you need to do it properly? \:D/
For a billion dollars, I'd do just about anything for Google...

If you want to see something slightly more exciting, here's the Section 13 (PNW) AWOIS database over the bathymetry:

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/awois.html
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

lamont wrote:If you want to see something slightly more exciting, here's the Section 13 (PNW) AWOIS database over the bathymetry:

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/awois.html
Hey, that's great! Nice addition. :smt038
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Attachments
PugetSound2_tn.jpg
PugetSound2_tn.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 595 times