Spear Fishing Next week...!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Spear Fishing Next week...!

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Can you just grab them by the gills and hang on and drag them to the surface? If the small ones are better anyways, it shouldn't be to hard right. I may be way off hear.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Can you just grab them by the gills and hang on and drag them to the surface? If the small ones are better anyways, it shouldn't be to hard right. I may be way off hear.
Sure, give it a try and report back.

Seriously have you ever tried to grab a fish even out of the water? They are bad enough flopping around in the bottom of the boat.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Can you just grab them by the gills and hang on and drag them to the surface? If the small ones are better anyways, it shouldn't be to hard right. I may be way off hear.
No, you really need to dispatch the fish and put it on your stringer. You don't want to be fighting a struggling fish making safety stops.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

A Ling Cod is a fish you definitely want to have under control. The teeth and gill rakers are razor sharp. When I shoot a fish I try to get as close to the head as possible I don't want to ruin any of the meat if I can. After the shot I try to pin the fish on the bottom, rock, wreck, etc. I will try to drive my knife into the top of the head then cut the gills to bleed it out. I don't want a pissed off fish with razor sharp teeth on my stringer attached to my harness/belt ready to bite anything that comes within range of it's mouth. I've had dives where a curious Ling has come over to check out the anchor after we drop it. Most of these fish are laying on the bottom waiting to ambush their prey. A long shot would be 4 - 6 feet most shots are within 3 feet.

I guess it would be more sporting to try and grab the fish then try to swim it to the surface but I think it would turn out to be a case of who caught who, did you catch the fish or did the fish catch you.

Mike
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Rockfish wrote:A Ling Cod is a fish you definitely want to have under control. The teeth and gill rakers are razor sharp. When I shoot a fish I try to get as close to the head as possible I don't want to ruin any of the meat if I can. After the shot I try to pin the fish on the bottom, rock, wreck, etc. I will try to drive my knife into the top of the head then cut the gills to bleed it out. I don't want a pissed off fish with razor sharp teeth on my stringer attached to my harness/belt ready to bite anything that comes within range of it's mouth. I've had dives where a curious Ling has come over to check out the anchor after we drop it. Most of these fish are laying on the bottom waiting to ambush their prey. A long shot would be 4 - 6 feet most shots are within 3 feet.

I guess it would be more sporting to try and grab the fish then try to swim it to the surface but I think it would turn out to be a case of who caught who, did you catch the fish or did the fish catch you.

Mike
GOOD POINTS!

Some inspiration...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDZd3fd ... re=related

I thought we could not get rock fish though?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote: I thought we could not get rock fish though?
Not in Puget Sound. Out on the coast its ok. From page 102 of the rules: "No spearfishing for rockfish in Areas 5-13."
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.