UK Light Canon bezel - hard to remove

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
aussie
Getting To Know Folks

UK Light Canon bezel - hard to remove

Post by aussie »

Hi there

Who of you have had experience with a UK HID Light Canon 100? I was given a used one from a mate of mine, and for the most part it is an awesome light. It does eat batteries, rechargeables fixed that issue. My problem is that the bezel, or lens part that has to be removed to change out the batteries, takes a huge amount of force to unscrew it. Last time I put a pile of masking tape around the lens and used an oil filter wrench to budge it. Thing is, I am not screwing it down tight, well not as tight as I would think it necessary to keep it water tight. To add to the frustration, I have had a couple of dives cancel on me, so the light was never put into the water, and the lens was still very difficult to remove

In the past, I was using a light coating of silicone on the O ring. Even if I don't use it, or there is still residual, it is still as difficult to move as with a pile of silicone. I went so far as to contact the manufacturer. Their fix is to put the lens into hot water. Fine, but why is this so difficult? ](*,) At least UK said that they would replace it if it does break at no charge.

Has anyone had similar problems? Have you successfully been able to remove the lens easily without developing forearms like Popeye? What about the silicone, should I use a solvent to ensure that there isn't a trace of old silicone there and try that?

Appreciate your time and input

Dive safe

Brian
The Aussie
:occasion5:
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Re: UK Light Canon bezel - hard to remove

Post by narcosis Junky »

I have had similar problems brian. A mater a fact, I broke the handle trying to open it. They replaced the light of course. But what worked for me is silicone on the threads. A litle on the O-ring is fine but a fare amount on the threads. It worked for me. It was always a little tight and I think that it is related to the compound that they use to cast the lights with. I use a startek now. But it is my back up light and it works great. Good luck on that, and don't use the handle for leverage or they will be sending You a new one. Good diving. :partyman: :supz: :fish:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I've had similar problems, but I'm a fairly big guy so I can usually wrestle it apart. It's definitely a hassle, though.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

aussie wrote:... the bezel, or lens part that has to be removed to change out the batteries, takes a huge amount of force to unscrew it. Last time I put a pile of masking tape around the lens and used an oil filter wrench to budge it. Thing is, I am not screwing it down tight, ....
... the light was never put into the water, and the lens was still very difficult to remove ...
... I was using a light coating of silicone on the O ring. Even if I don't use it, or there is still residual, it is still as difficult to move as with a pile of silicone. I went so far as to contact the manufacturer. Their fix is to put the lens into hot water. Fine, but why is this so difficult?
narcosis Junky wrote:... what worked for me is silicone on the threads. A litle on the O-ring is fine but a fare amount on the threads. It worked for me. It was always a little tight and I think that it is related to the compound that they use to cast the lights with. ...
I have had the same issue when I had let the light sit for a long time without use ("long time" meaning around 3-4 months), and that was with having used silicone grease on the threads and o-ring after a careful cleaning when I replaced the batteries. :angryfire: (That's how I found that the black rubber around the bezel does, in fact, come off.)

I'm thinking the problem is generic to the light... a little frustrating, but I'm otherwise pleased with it.

Idea: How about storing it disassembled or with just a couple of threads lightly engaged?
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I've had similar problems, but now don't "reef" quite as hard on it when I am tightening the light after putting freshly charged batteries in it. As long as I don't tighten it too much it comes off OK. Of course not tightening it "too much" isn't a very exact phrase... ](*,) You obviously want it to seal well, but there isn't much to be gained by overtightening.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
aussie
Getting To Know Folks

Post by aussie »

Thanks narcosis Junky,
I actually did snap the handle off, but luckily for me it was a lock screw that wasn't tight enough, so it went back on securely. And also diver-dad, with a great idea. Glad to see that UK stands by their products

I am going to the gym, maybe I'll do extra work on the forearms and look like this guy --> :naka:

Thanks again

Brian
:occasion5:
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Don't screw it on so tight, and buy yourself a Strap Wrench for those cases when you have a problem. Very handy and cheap tool to keep on hand!
Dave
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

I too had those lights once. Here's a little trick that seemed to work for me. After the dive (I mean right after) wipe down the light and crack the seal right then. It is USUALLY real easy RIGHT after the dive.
Dan