Rabbit Tool Battery for the X scoot

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Rabbit Tool Battery for the X scoot

Post by Romer Treece »

I get questions every so often regarding the X Scooter batteries, as well as having questions of my own. SO, I contacted them and got the skinny on just a few of the most popular ones.

1. Can I top off my battery? (meaning it has a full charge, then you "top it off" a day later) Yes topping off will not hurt the battery.

2. Does the charger shut off due to voltage or heat? The charger shuts off when the batteries reach a certain temp.

3. Does that mean I shouldn't charge the batteries in a warm room or near a heat source? No that doesn't matter, warm room or cold room, no difference.

4. Can I charge the battery right out of the scoot, immediately after I use it, even if it's warm? Yes, but, if the battery is too warm the charger will blink then shut off, they said it is BEST to let it cool.

5. What should my voltage be when it's charged? Around 28 volts-cold.

6. What should my voltage be when it's dead? 20-24 volts (depending on your definition of "dead")

Hope that helps a bit.
Dan :dontknow:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Rabbit Tool Battery for the X scoot

Post by dsteding »

Romer Treece wrote:
2. Does the charger shut off due to voltage or heat? The charger shuts off when the batteries reach a certain temp.
Good stuff Dan. One thing, the charger senses both temp (the thermocouple that is the white lead) and negative deltaV. For the latter, the charger senses the voltage under a certain load, and that slowly increases throughout the charge. When the battery is full, the voltage under the same load (4 amps according to my Watt's Up meter) the voltage will start to decrease. That will shut the charger off.

The temperature thing is a backup in case the voltage doesn't switch or the charger doesn't pick up the negative deltaV-without that the battery could heat up and (I guess) eventually go boom.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
camerone
Submariner

Re: Rabbit Tool Battery for the X scoot

Post by camerone »

dsteding wrote: The temperature thing is a backup in case the voltage doesn't switch or the charger doesn't pick up the negative deltaV-without that the battery could heat up and (I guess) eventually go boom.
It won't go "boom" but you could eventually damage the cells. The vent tabs should pop and that's it for the cell.

I don't know if the X has a series-parallel string, as mine hasn't arrived yet (next week...whee!) but for our 9Ah dive-lights, they use a really bad, at least from an engineering point of view, combination of 10 cells in parallel and 10 in series. The internal resistance of all the cells are not equal, and so some will tend to heat up more than others. It's that kind of run-away from a shorted cell or one that's kind of gone nuts, that the thermistor is there to pick up.

However, if everything is working right the negative voltage drop check should be the actual triggering event to shut off the pack's charger.

In the case of the similar NiMH dive light packs, particularly the Halcyon chargers were notoriously unreliable with regards to shutting off prematurely, and before I replaced it with something better built, I would just remove the thermistor line and jumper it with a 10k fixed value resistor, which seemed to do the trick. With the replacement pack I soldered, I didn't even bother to install the thermistor in place.

It's a good backup, and will keep you from destroying a pack in the case of a malfunctioning charger (well, maybe...), but honestly, if the thermistor is what causes the pack to shut off, I think you have bigger issues around the health of your batteries (or your charger, assuming it's dumping too much charging current but the protection circuitry is still good).