Mask squeeze

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Mask squeeze

Post by scottsax »

I picked up a new mask this weekend. A low volume, single window, XS Scuba (can't remember the model.) It's awesome! It fits my face great and has a good seal. Almost too good, actually. It was very difficult to equalize, and when I woke up this morning, I noticed some broken capillaries around my eyes. #-o I knew I felt bug-eyed!

I'm assuming the same principle for equalizing your ears applies to your mask-early and often. Has anyone else experienced this before? Tips and tricks?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Mask squeeze

Post by Penopolypants »

Hm...whenever I feel it tighten I blow out through my nose a little. Are you overtightening your strap? Had you taken anything that might thin your blood a bit, like aspirin?

There was a guy on our boat in PNG that got mask squeeze so bad on his first dive that the entire area under his mask was one big purple bruise and his eyes were completely red. It was awful.

It's also not something that people think about a lot...good topic!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Wow that sucks! Many years of swim team has me in the habit of exhaling out my nose a lot when underwater, so I've never had an issue. Something to think about for sure. You may want to check the strap,if it's too tight that might not be helping.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

The strap is a good thought. I loosened it from where it was on my head at home, but potentially not enough to accomodate my drysuit hood. Of course, I won't be using a hood for the next week, because I'll be in BONAIRE! \:D/ \

I'm sorry, I'll be nice, I promise...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Like Jake, I too exhale though my nose a lot while diving - enough so that my hood has to be "purged" every so often. This keeps my mask nice and loose. The one thing to remember is that the hood filling with air can sometimes move the strap higher on your head so you *could* lose your mask more easily (another reason to practice your mask-off and recovery drills!!).

So try exhaling a bit through your nose and see what happens - clear your ears, then exhale a bit into your mask. That should take care of it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have to say, the second dive yesterday was better. Could just be a learning curve with a new piece of gear, too.

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Scott,
My mask has a small nose pocket (in other words I have a big shnoz). If I position the mask too high on my face the bottom of the nose pocket will seal against my nostrils. Then if I descend a few feet it will seal right up and make equalizing the mask difficult - I have to exhale out my nose quite forcefully to break the seal it has made against my nostrils. I've learned where to place the mask on my face so this doesn't happen now. I just have to leave a little room between nostrils and the bottom of the nose pocket. It doesn't take much.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:Scott,My mask has a small nose pocket (in other words I have a big shnoz).

-Ben
in a side by side comparison, yours is most likely a dainty button compared to my schnoz. i even have the "big honker" model mask from oceanic.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

airsix wrote:If I position the mask too high on my face the bottom of the nose pocket will seal against my nostrils. Then if I descend a few feet it will seal right up and make equalizing the mask difficult - I have to exhale out my nose quite forcefully to break the seal it has made against my nostrils. I've learned where to place the mask on my face so this doesn't happen now. I just have to leave a little room between nostrils and the bottom of the nose pocket. It doesn't take much.

-Ben
That's a damn good idea, too. I noticed I was having difficulty exhaling through my nose. I tend to position the mask higher on my face because it seals around my mustache a little better. I'll try moving it down a little, too.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
airsix wrote:If I position the mask too high on my face the bottom of the nose pocket will seal against my nostrils. Then if I descend a few feet it will seal right up and make equalizing the mask difficult - I have to exhale out my nose quite forcefully to break the seal it has made against my nostrils. I've learned where to place the mask on my face so this doesn't happen now. I just have to leave a little room between nostrils and the bottom of the nose pocket. It doesn't take much.

-Ben
That's a damn good idea, too. I noticed I was having difficulty exhaling through my nose. I tend to position the mask higher on my face because it seals around my mustache a little better. I'll try moving it down a little, too.
You need to shave yourself a "scuba-stache!" It's about 1/2" of baby-butt smooth shaven skin under your nostrils. It looks rather creepy, but it works!!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
Sounder wrote: You need to shave yourself a "scuba-stache!" It's about 1/2" of baby-butt smooth shaven skin under your nostrils. It looks rather creepy, but it works!!
If it looks creepy, what exactly is the point? Why have a moustache at all? :smt064
"Chicks dig it."

Mrs. Sounder tells me that when I shave my scuba-stache, I look like "Chester." :dontknow:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
Sounder wrote: You need to shave yourself a "scuba-stache!" It's about 1/2" of baby-butt smooth shaven skin under your nostrils. It looks rather creepy, but it works!!
If it looks creepy, what exactly is the point? Why have a moustache at all? :smt064
Trust me, you DO NOT want some us here with the dreaded "naked face"... :pale: :smt119
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:
Scubagirl45 wrote:
Trust me, you DO NOT want some us here with the dreaded "naked face"... :pale: :smt119
Yeah - Tom looks like he's 15 when he shaves his beard off.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Now that I control my buoyancy by blowing out my nose, I seldom have "mask face" after dives. I guess that's one advantage. :dontknow:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Yeah.... I think I'll play around with mask placement before I start messing with the goatee I've finally gotten the hang of grooming (after 15 years...What?! I'm a slow learner, OK?)