What creeps you out?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: What creeps you out?

Post by Scubak »

Large aggressive Ling Cod freak me out.
I have been harrassed, barged at, bitten, knocked, circled by these large behemouths (sp?)
I hate them...except the cool one at the Bottom of Sund Rock...She's a dandy...and she leaves me alone..
The one reason I hate EUP is for the Lings and the last couple of times at Cove 2 was a harrassing dive with a nasty Ling...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I hate it when something comes outa nowhere and pops up within a couple feet of my mask. I was diving lake stevens couple weeks ago and I was coming up to safety stop, ascending when a rather large crappie :fish: or something was just there. After I got over the shock - I was able to stay in visual for 30 seconds or so. After the shock, it was cool.

I was diving a large dock and crabs kept falling off the pilings right in front of me. I decided crabs looked like big spiders :pale: , and that I didn't like them falling all over the place like that... Weird. I don't mind spiders unless they are on me. I (used to) like to eat crab - but when I get the thought that these are just big bugs, not too much different than an arachnid, well, eehw.

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

camerone wrote:
dwashbur wrote:That was fine for my wife, but the water motion and bits of seaweed and stuff drifting around started giving me one of the worst cases of vertigo I've ever had before, during or after a dive. That pretty well creeped me out.
You have my ultimate sympathy for that one. It's happened to me, too. Zero-zero viz, deep in the lake, deco obligation, and the world is spinning round and round in my head. That creeped me out, too, and there's little to do but power through it.

I've had it happen while flying IFR, too, but at least then there's an instrument cluster that you can force yourself to focus on. No such luck underwater...

-C
I'm glad you mentioned this, because it's one of the many reasons I have zero interest in tech/deco diving. I'm far too ADD to just hang on a line doing nothing but breathing, for however long it takes to decompress. I'd go bonkers doing that. I have enough trouble staying in one spot for the basic 3 minute safety stop; I have to drift a little to one side or the other and find something to look at. I admire you guys who can do the long deco stops, I just don't happen to have that capability in my (admittedly-scrambled) psyche. I don't think I would have been able to "power through it" if I were in the position you described; I probably would have done the most foolish thing possible and sprinted to the surface, ending up with a nice case of DCS. When it comes to the deep/deco stuff, I'm perfectly happy to live vicariously through you guys :salute:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Some people play a mean game of tic-tac-toe or write poetry while they're hanging on deco. I think I might make a product called Deco-Sudoku or Deco-Crosswords on wetnote paper!! :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Some people play a mean game of tic-tac-toe or write poetry while they're hanging on deco. I think I might make a product called Deco-Sudoku or Deco-Crosswords on wetnote paper!! :dontknow:
i wonder if they make housings for PSPs or Gameboys...
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

spatman wrote:i wonder if they make housings for PSPs or Gameboys...
The VR3 computer has a built-in squirt-the-octopus-ink game, and a small e-book reader built in. The game's free, but you have to pay to unlock the book reader...but then you can upload whatever you like.

I'm waiting to see what kind of cool stuff they add to the Liquivision X1 with its fantastic oled screen.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I'm into DIY, but I cannot imagine trying to make an enclosure while on a deco stop. :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: - ha ha I crack me up!
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Sharks. Always have and always will.

But there is always old guys in Speedo's with young gals. Now that Creeps me out.
Charles
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tom Nic wrote: "Really Mr. Sea Lion bull, Sir, I have NO interest in your women, sir... uh, of course they're pretty Mr. Bull sir, but no... not that pretty, er... I mean... not pretty in THAT way Mr. Bull Sir... uh, excuse me I really need to be going now...." :toimonster:
Pretty?

They're fat, hairy, pushy and they smell bad ...

... kinda remind me of some of the women I used to hang with in my college daze ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well, as a new diver (29dives) I have not had anything that really creepd me out. However, I really dont like when your decending with about zero viz and not be knowing how fast and when the bottom is going to come out of nowhere. I just kinda keep control of my thoughts and have a hand out just in case. One of these days someone or something will touch,grab, or who knows my hand and that would freak me out.

I am also very glad I am getting my navigation down better, cause knowing which was is the exit point is important.The what IF's separation happens or anything else. Which way do I go, which way do I go............ I love my SK7 Suunto retractor compass, he is me little friend.

Note to self need to take the advanved open water course soon.
Jeff Castor
Solitary
Just Settling In

Post by Solitary »

Today I discovered something else that creeps me out. Unexplained changes in buoyancy that try to drag you to the surface.

My weight-integrated BCD apparently un-integrated today, at about 35 feet. Not realizing what had happened, I just thought I was shallowing a bit so I went to vent some air, then some more, then all of it with a full exhale. Hmmm, still not sinking, this can't be good!

I quickly figured out what the problem was and was able to notify my buddy of my problem before corking without him. For a moment, there, though, I was thoroughly creeped out as my buoyancy suddenly seemed out of my control. I'm not at all used to not feeling in control of my dive. Don't like it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Pez and I went for a night dive at mukilteo (silver cloud side) one time, before we knew about the Geodome. There was some runoff, so vis was less than awesome, and with dusk above the water was a silty green color fading to black as we continued. Oh, and as usual the ferry boat was thrumming along in the background, growing louder as it approached it's docking space. As we kicked aong, the geodome slowly appeared, a little at a time, from the greenish-black murk, accompanied by the thrumming music from the ferry growing louder and stronger.... We discussed it after the dive, and we both agreed. Not scary at all, but very erie, and definitely creepy!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

For some reason, every time a new open water student demonstrates regulator removal/recovery. It is very rarely an issue, but something about a new diver, one dive in Puget Sound, 4 inches of vis and they take their reg out, because I ask them to. Nothing else in teaching creeps me out like that does.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Solitary wrote:Today I discovered something else that creeps me out. Unexplained changes in buoyancy that try to drag you to the surface.

My weight-integrated BCD apparently un-integrated today, at about 35 feet. Not realizing what had happened, I just thought I was shallowing a bit so I went to vent some air, then some more, then all of it with a full exhale. Hmmm, still not sinking, this can't be good!

I quickly figured out what the problem was and was able to notify my buddy of my problem before corking without him. For a moment, there, though, I was thoroughly creeped out as my buoyancy suddenly seemed out of my control. I'm not at all used to not feeling in control of my dive. Don't like it.
I used to have a weight-integrated BC that did that to me a couple times. After that, I took the pockets out and went back to using a weight belt.

Most of the newer model BCDs don't have that problem ... but the older ones that relied on velcro closures turned out not to be such a good idea after a while ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Solitary wrote:Today I discovered something else that creeps me out. Unexplained changes in buoyancy that try to drag you to the surface.

Tom-Nic found an intigrated weight pouch with about 15 or 20 lbs of weight in it, at our dive at Three Tree N.
We realy did not want to lug it around on our dive since we were only about 30 minutes into our dive. I suspect someone must of had some bouyancy issues after or before dropping it. It was a black pouch with a "T" handle on it.
It's somewhere between the golfball boat and the entry point in about 40 or 50 fsw. If Isee it again I might considder clipping it off somehow and bringing it in. I would just need a little more air in my bcd Right?

Loosing control of your bouyancy is a big one for the "Creep me out list"
When I was still fairly new to diving I lost 20 lbs of lead weight at 80 feet at Alki Cove 2 and started going up feet first. :smt119
Some how I was able to get back down and continue the dive but when we got to our safety stop I was not able to stay down.
It wasn't untill I was taking my gear off at my truck when I realized I lost my two 10 lb. bricks. Lesson learned...:
Soft weights are much better for weight pockets. And they fit better too! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I hate integrated weights on a BC.

At Mukilteo I did a pick up dive with a guy one day ( Ithink from SB?). Everything went well, we swam out and started our decent. At about 30fsw I was looking down and saw something headed for the bottom. I looked over, then up to see my buddy headed for the surface. I retrieved the offending weight pouch and made sure it was well clipped in this time. I've seen them come loose, or seen people have trouble clipping them in way too many times.

I used to have velcro closed IW, and I think I was just lucky that they never fell out.

Jake