New Book a must for Decompression Diving Research

General topics about technical diving.
mattwave
Amphibian

New Book a must for Decompression Diving Research

Post by mattwave »

Just Released Bruce Wienke's latest contribution to unravelling the mystery of Decompression Theory and Application, if you have never read any of Weinke's manuals, I suggest you start here. His work can be difficult to absorb, but invaluable once understood, and I would be happy to workshop with anyone his explanations and research. We will have his new manual in stock soon!

Best Publishing Company:

New Edition!

Basic Decompression Theory & Application
New 3rd Edition - June 2008

The new 2008 - 3rd Edition of BASIC DECOMPRESSION THEORY AND APPLICATION has been extended and updated, with new material added and new chapters. It takes decompression theory and phase mechanics to considerable depth, while focusing on diving applications in a historical perspective. Topics span many disciplines, and the targeted audience is the scuba diver, commercial diver, technical diver, and instructor. Everything you need to know about decompression!

The intent of the 3rd Edition is to present a working view of decompression in diving, mostly focusing on theory with application, including equations. It is directed toward the diver and reader with some rudimentary understanding of decompression. Discussed are the mechanics of tissue gas exchange, bubbles and nucleation, supersaturation, perfusion and diffusion. Also included are chapters on --Mixed Gases and Decompression --Decompression Tables, Meters and Models --Decompression Risks and Statistics --Diving Maladies and Drugs --Altitude Procedures.

References and numerical examples (with solutions) are included for more detail and diver analysis.

The 1st and 2nd Editions of this publication were a sellout in the diving community, and the 3rd Edition is even more detailed, comprehensive, and up-to-date. The author asks that the reader "Have fun with the exercises at the end of each chapter"...
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: New Book a must for Decompression Diving Research

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks Matt. =D> I'll be sure to pick one up when they're in. :book:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'll be picking a copy up too!! :book: \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Having read some of Wienke's work, be prepared with some asprin, you're gonna get a headache from all of the equations. Be prepared for big math. That said he knows his stuff and I'm sure this is a great resource.

Jake
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:Having read some of Wienke's work, be prepared with some asprin, you're gonna get a headache from all of the equations. Be prepared for big math. That said he knows his stuff and I'm sure this is a great resource.

Jake
Equations and big math?! :supz: Sweet!! \:D/
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I will take a copy too
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Matt, are you going to carry these? Or should we go somewhere else to order them?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

My copy is in the mail!! \:D/
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

LCF wrote:Matt, are you going to carry these? Or should we go somewhere else to order them?
Yes they will not be here this week :crybaby: , but next week for sure, thank for your support Lynne.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

mattwave wrote:
LCF wrote:Matt, are you going to carry these? Or should we go somewhere else to order them?
Yes they will not be here this week :crybaby: , but next week for sure, thank for your support Lynne.
](*,) I was under the impression the new edition wasn't being released through shops for a while. I would have much preferred to pick up a copy from your shop. #-o

I'll make up for it soon... \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've started reading this book and couldn't put it down last night. Be warned, when folks here mentioned that it would have "a lot of math" in it, they were wrong... it has a METRIC TON OF MATH!! :naka: :naka: :naka:

Now, if you're a nerd like me who enjoys physics and calculus - you will LOVE this book. I did pull my "forgotten physics" book out of a box and dusted it off too... I KNEW I'd want that book someday!! Seriously, if you're a math-buff, get out your review textbooks and have a calculator, paper, and pencil with you when you're reading it. It's set up like a text book so once you're finished working through all the explainations in the chapter, there are problems at the back of the chapter for you to practice with! \:D/ :supz: I love this stuff. \:D/ :bounce:

For non-math-loving geek-types, the book appears to have some non-equation centered explainations too, especially in chapter 6, but I have not read that far yet... proceed at your own risk. :dontknow:

Definitely thumb through it when you buy it at NWSD (if I'd only known they were going to carry it #-o ).

This book quite possbly will be my favorite read of the year... but challenging.