Thank you from Porthole

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: Thank you from Porthole

Post by Maverick »

I to was on the Diamond charter that was cancelled. Bummer but i got my refund before I knew the charter was cancelled. thanks Mike.

I Hope that we can figure something out. I operate a detail shop as you know, and I have a friend who has a gas station, maybe we could set up a car wash to save the MarkV?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

Today the silence was broken between Armstrong Marine and Portole Dive Charters as Armstrong requested a meeting between all parties. Both sides were represented by attorney's and the meeting was productive but no solution was agreed upon. However; the fact that offers have been tabled will give opportunity for future negotiations. I have been asked to see how many charters in Neah Bay can be salvaged in August and Sept. :bounce: This is the first good news in a long time. :partyman: We have dug a pretty big financial hole during this process and could use everyones support if and when the Mark V is returned to service. I can't talk about details now [-X but will offer them as soon as things firm up. What are you doing in August and september? :dontknow:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

fergie wrote:What are you doing in August and september? :dontknow:
diving off your boat as much as possible. :supz:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:
Yes! Mike, it's really great to hear that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel! I will make time to come dive with you!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Great news Mike! Glad to hear it. Count me in for a dive or two...or more!

Jackie
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Burntchef wrote:
Oh hell yeah! :bounce:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Just let me know the dates and I will be there. Im happy to hear things are looking up for Porthole.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Awesome, news Mike.

Let us know the dates you have, our group http://www.nwunderwaterexplorers.org/NWUE/Home.html can fill a charter.

Let's work something out.

-Doug
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If I ever get a weekend off again in my life, I'm THERE.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I was supposed to be on the Neah Bay trip next week-end ... and will HAPPILY take a make-up date.

Somehow, Mike, I don't think you're gonna have any problems filling charters once you're up and running again ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

This is good news Mike! BDub, Fishtiq and I were just talking about our last trip out to the Omar and the Barges. We discussed how we were looking forward to our next charter with you! Thanks for keeping us all updated. =D>
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

GREAT NEWS!!! My wife, son, and I are all already signed up for 2 days out of Neah Bay on your boat in September, when Club TLSEA has you booked. I was really bummed to hear about your problems, and was hoping they would be resolved before our mini-vacation dive trip. We are taking our 5'th wheel and will be camping/diving for a couple of extra days; we may have to add another day of boat diving with you. We met your crew at the Dive Expo, and have been looking forward to diving off the Mark V ever since.
Best wishes that everything works out.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You can count me in too! :bounce:
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

Porthole is Back!!! :occasion5:
An agreement has been signed that will allow the Mark V to be used for Charters in Neah Bay the remainder of August and all of September. In October, if a long term comprehensive agreement can be reached, the boat will return to Port Angeles for any and all remaining issues to be resolved. The negotiations have many complex issues but we remain hopeful that all parties can reach an acceptable agreement during the next 2 months. Mean while we need to make up for lost time and go diving. There are several opportunities to join us. I will stop here from advertising on the board but will ask Calvin to call me again cause I accidentally erased your number.
Again, thanks to all who have encouraged and supported us in our darkest hours. I look forward to seeing you all in Neah Bay.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

fergie wrote:Porthole is Back!!! :occasion5:
An agreement has been signed that will allow the Mark V to be used for Charters in Neah Bay the remainder of August and all of September. In October, if a long term comprehensive agreement can be reached, the boat will return to Port Angeles for any and all remaining issues to be resolved. The negotiations have many complex issues but we remain hopeful that all parties can reach an acceptable agreement during the next 2 months. Mean while we need to make up for lost time and go diving. There are several opportunities to join us. I will stop here from advertising on the board but will ask Calvin to call me again cause I accidentally erased your number.
Again, thanks to all who have encouraged and supported us in our darkest hours. I look forward to seeing you all in Neah Bay.
Mike, that is FANTASTIC news! PM me about putting up an ad or two- they're on me, buddy!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

See ya in September!!!!!
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

The Mark V sucessfully completed 5 days of diving in Port Angeles. It was a good feeling to be back abaord the Mark V and back on the water. All systems are operating to include Air/Nitrox, genset, water maker, etc. We look forward to operating the rest of the summer in Neah Bay and hope to see you all up there. Thanks again for all your support and happy diving!
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Congratulations, Mike! It is a great feeling to know you are back on the water with the Mark V.

jackie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

fergie wrote:The Mark V sucessfully completed 5 days of diving in Port Angeles. It was a good feeling to be back abaord the Mark V and back on the water. All systems are operating to include Air/Nitrox, genset, water maker, etc. We look forward to operating the rest of the summer in Neah Bay and hope to see you all up there. Thanks again for all your support and happy diving!
FANTASTIC!!!! I'll bet that it feels great to have a good-running vessel under your feet again! I look forward to booking a trip or two with you once things settle down a bit at my end.

I'm really glad to see you and Porthole moving forward again!

Hey, everyone....let's support our local charter boats and dive operators as much as we can! Let's give them some business!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I am TOTALLY excited about this!!!

The REEF Advanced Assessment Team has the boat chartered for ALL of next week out there, to conduct our annual Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary monitoring project, and I am totally looking forward to it.

Guess I better get busy packing....

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Shortly after boarding the Mark V this past Monday our group of REEF AAT divers were asked by Mike Ferguson to be patient as the boat and its various systems were still somewhat new and likely to need some tweaking. In addition, it was the first time he'd run the boat in the Neah Bay area (previous expeditions were in the Dash). In five days of diving many sites in the area, I never once found reason to feel anything but confident in Mike, Scott and the Mark V. These guys know their stuff and the Mark V is a superb dive platform.

Mike and Scott - thank you so much for all the effort you put in to facilitate our survey dives - I know that working around weather and tidal conditions isn't easy but you made it look like it was.

If you haven't got some Neah Bay diving planned, you owe it to yourself to call up Porthole. Prepare to be impressed.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir