THREE TREE SOUTH -- details? pls?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
babs13
Dive-aholic

THREE TREE SOUTH -- details? pls?

Post by babs13 »

Where the is this place - other than be presumably south of Three Tree North? Current sensitive? Deep? Any thoughts, comments...??? How to get there? Thanks for checking this post.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: THREE TREE SOUTH -- details? pls?

Post by spatman »

VERY current sensitive. i've never been there, but i think it's in fischnailler's book, which i don't have handy right now...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Very very current sensitive. From what I'm told, not a whole lot to see.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Not much to see ... no place to park ... surly neighbors ... these are but some of the reasons why nobody ever dives there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

babs13 wrote:Where the is this place - other than be presumably south of Three Tree North? Current sensitive? Deep? Any thoughts, comments...??? How to get there? Thanks for checking this post.
Babs,

I've done 3TN twice and enjoyed it greatly each time. The current picked up on us pretty good last time (at a recent unplanned flash mob club dive) as we were getting out. I think that day we just got lucky with the tides. I haven't been to 3TS yet.

Here is a link to the crappiest directions to 3TS. Another site I found is totally no help so if you run across it, ignore the location as it actually shows 3TN.

Three tree north is certainly more well known and marked even on google maps. That might be the put-in at sw 172nd at maplewild ave... but its unclear from google maps.

I'm not sure this helps... but let us know if you see anything good on the south side of the point.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

here's some more info - but even though this site doesn't seem to mention it, it's worth repeating that it is very current sensitive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

3 tree south is a no go. No place to park, very exposed, Edy currents that can get real mean and nothing much there.

Stick with the north site. It's far more user friendly especially to a newer diver like you are. Only word of caution is that it is real easy to get over OW depth there so watch your depth gage and the current if it develops is always toward the point so plan your dives so the current will take you back to the entry point.
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

I like it, though it’s not the most interesting dive I've ever done. Some dogfish a couple small red octos and a couple unidentifiable sunken objects (USOs). There is a boat on that side but I haven’t seen it yet. The fact that most divers don't dive the site makes it more enjoyable to me. I don't really enjoy crowds. The neighbors haven’t ever bothered us, in fact most of the time they are friendly. I would imagine them to continue to be nice so long as you don’t do something stupid like park in front of their garage or driveway.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The main thing that's kept me from diving it is the no parking signs, PLUS the fact that I'm too lazy to walk 200ft to do an unknown site, AND that Three Tree North is 30 seconds away and is a known and loved commodity. If you're a newer diver the North side is definitely the place to spend some time, and there are plenty of folks that will take you on the 3 - 5 distinct profiles that can be done there.

I keep threatening to do this site... then come up with excuses not to. I would imagine that the habitat would be about the same as TTN? From shore it looks about the same. There are those that think TTN is barren and boring, and those of us who think there's a ton of life there.

Kind of surprising to me that it's labeled current "sensitive"... Not disputing this, just surpised. Can't see how it would be much different than the north site other than a current reversal. Of course there are plenty of divers that don't like to deal with the generally steady, generally manageable south flowing current at TTN and would label it as a current "sensitive" site. I would think that if the exchange isn't huge it wouldn't be much different on the south side - but that is TOTAL SPECULATION on my part. But for that matter, Redondo isn't supposed to be a current sensitive site and folks have been getting blown around there as well lately.

As an aside - I've heard that the signs at TTS are "illegal" - placed there by residents, NOT the city. Story goes of a guy who was gearing up there, an officer pulls up and starts writing a ticket. Guy says "you can go ahead and do that, but I'll fight it, you'll have to come in on your day off to deal with it, and you know that you'll lose because you know this isn't a city mandated no parking area". Officer puts away his ticket book. Don't know if that is true, and I'm not whatever (insert brave, stupid, combative, whatever) enough to try it myself. If I was to dive this site I'd back in, drop my gear off on the bench, park up the street a little ways where there aren't signs, then walk back, do the dive, and walk the short distance uphill to my vehicle.

Like I said, someday....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

Tom Nic wrote: Kind of surprising to me that it's labeled current "sensitive"... Not disputing this, just surpised. Can't see how it would be much different than the north site other than a current reversal. Of course there are plenty of divers that don't like to deal with the generally steady, generally manageable south flowing current at TTN and would label it as a current "sensitive" site.
Like I said, someday....

It is suprising to me also.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Some day my constant :smt064 at Tom nic, will get us a couple of dives there.
I'm usually tempted when I see the wind coming from the North, and the surface, on the South side of the point is nice and calm. The only concern would be. even Day Island can look calm on the surface on some days. If ya know what I mean :smt119 :toimonster: :violent1:

Some day... :salute:

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: