Cucumber hunting!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Samson

Cucumber hunting!

Post by Samson »

Ok,... So I can stop pirating Daves thread,...

Has anybody got any pics of some cukes underwater?? I dont think I have ever seen one.....
Do they occur in the tropics or is it a cold water creature???

Samson-
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Cucumber hunting!

Post by cardiver »

Here you go!
Attachments
CIMG0134.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This is a spin-off from THIS thread.

Once you've seen one or two, you'll be able to spot them everywhere. You'll have them hook, line, and sinker! :evil4:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Our NW sea cucumbers are sure a lot better looking than the ones in Hawaii. Ours have a nice brownish-red color and are spiky and cool; the ones in Hawaii are dark brown oblong blobs that look like you-know-what. All that to say, ya they live here and in the tropics, but ours are cooler.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Samson

Post by Samson »

Ok,.. I have been reading on line about them and it is describing them as a "asian" delicacy. Let me guess... they actually really taste like snot or something... right.... right up there with bear gal blatters, elk antlers, black rhino gonads,..etc...and every other far out thing the asians eat in the name of being an "aphrodesiac".....

You guys are putting me on right??...... #-o

Samson-
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

black rhino gonads are quite tasty with drawn butter and a sprinkling of truffle oil.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Actually cukes are not bad to eat, I would recommend cooking them first but not to bad raw. :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There actually is or was a comercial market for them. Here is a pic of adult Cukes playing. you won't have to look far. They are pretty much everywhere in the sound.
3208net.jpg
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Samson wrote: You guys are putting me on right??...... #-o
Yeah dude - they're definitely an Asian thing, but some folks DO eat them. :vom:

Be sure to let me know how the pickling process goes... :evil4:

Welcome to NWDC. :laughing3:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Dusty2 wrote:There actually is or was a comercial market for them. Here is a pic of adult Cukes playing. you won't have to look far. They are pretty much everywhere in the sound.
3208net.jpg
Uh, Rich? When and where did you get that photo?

Those guys aren't playing - they're DYING.

:(

This is what they look like when the O2 levels are seriously low.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Samson wrote:Ok,.. I have been reading on line about them and it is describing them as a "asian" delicacy. Let me guess... they actually really taste like snot or something... right.... right up there with bear gal blatters, elk antlers, black rhino gonads,..etc...and every other far out thing the asians eat in the name of being an "aphrodesiac".....

Samson-
I think that the long strips of muscle from the cucumbers is sold as a substitute for clam strips some places. If you like clams you'll probably like cucumbers. I haven't tried them myself - largely because it seems like a lot of work to clean them for such a small amount of protein.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

nwscubamom wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:There actually is or was a comercial market for them. Here is a pic of adult Cukes playing. you won't have to look far. They are pretty much everywhere in the sound.
3208net.jpg
Uh, Rich? When and where did you get that photo?

Those guys aren't playing - they're DYING.

:(

This is what they look like when the O2 levels are seriously low.

- Janna
No worries Janna, It is an old one from Sund Rock, Nov 2007
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Ah, OK! Thanks for clearing that up! Since you usually dive PT, I thought "oh great!" but had hoped you had picked up that shot from Sund Rock or nearby there.

I tell you, those cukes look distinctly different when they're stressed/dying.

Speaking of which, thanks to Tom Nicodemus' sharp eyes on the NWDC club dive, he saw similar looking cukes and posted a photo. That prompted the HCDOP folks to go get water samples and for Tom and I to go dive there to see if anything else was out of place or looking stressed. Our timing couldn't have been better, since as we were gearing up, their boat came in and took the samples.

FWIW, we only saw one cuke looking odd, and a Vermilion Rockfish was way up shallow (15-20ft) but other than that, everything seemed pretty good, so whatever low O2 event might have taken place, it seemed to be mild and certainly not at the same levels as previous years' fish kills.

Thanks Tom! It's really helpful to know what a stressed Sea Cucumber looks like since they seem to be excellent indicators of the low oxygen levels.

Their thorns get really long and very thin (instead of fat, short and chunky spikes), and they often turn upside down so their tube feet are exposed, and will extend all 20 of their white mouth tentacles (the tube feet and mouth tentacles are also part of their respiratory system)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks for posting that Janna so others will be aware of what to look for and help out by reporting any such siteings

And yes PT is my Dive base. In fact I'm there right now and will be diving in a few minutes. \:D/
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I am not a fish person. I love them, but I am still just trying to get the basics down on PNW underwater life. With that disclaimer in place, during three dives today at Sund Rock and Octopus Hole, I saw quite a few cucumbers with long spiky thorns. I also saw two flipped over, showing their "feet." They also seemed to be moving significantly more than the ones I normally see. I am used to the chunkier ones at Redondo and it was a noticeable enough difference that I wondered if it was a different species. They certainly looked like the second picture, however. If possible, it would be great to get a small gallery of sea cucumbers (healthy and not healthy) posted so fish neophytes like me can help play spotter on these issues.
Also, what other triggers would indicate a low oxygen event developing?
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kalatin wrote: With that disclaimer in place, during three dives today at Sund Rock and Octopus Hole, I saw quite a few cucumbers with long spiky thorns. I also saw two flipped over, showing their "feet." They also seemed to be moving significantly more than the ones I normally see.
If they're "flipped over", showing their "feet" (do they have feet? Perhaps you mean mouth parts?) and were not knocked over they probably aren't doing well. A healthy California Sea Cuke is typically fat, not skinny and "drained looking. Aren't you taking pics yet? :smt064 And, just where is your trip report and your viz report?! Hmmm? :smt064
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Samson wrote:Ok,.. I have been reading on line about them and it is describing them as a "asian" delicacy. Let me guess... they actually really taste like snot or something... right.... right up there with bear gal blatters, elk antlers, black rhino gonads,..etc...and every other far out thing the asians eat in the name of being an "aphrodesiac".....

Samson-
This asian eats hamburgers as aphrodisiac. :violent2: