What's up with Porthole?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fergie
Just Settling In

What's up with Porthole?

Post by fergie »

I spent the weekend in Tacoma and had the same question asked of me several times, so I figured I should set the record straight. By the way,Viz is improving in the south sound as of Sunday KVI and Barges 15+. We are operating at full capacity again after our nightmare's with the new boat delivery. The motors have been gone through by factory trained Volvo mechanics, compressor is up and pumping nitrox, the legal fight with the manufacture has been stalled due to financial conciderations but we have put all that aside and are operating again. Our latest challenge was securing our insurances and that is now all complete and paid thru the summer. Thanks again for the support of this boards members, and the positive thoughts that truely brought needed moments of cheer in a desperate time. Would love to see you out and show you all the MARK V. By the way many have aked why MARK V as a name. I have always enjoyed the history of diving and the navy divers are a part of that history.The MARK V is the classic commercial dive helmut used by the Navy and has been part of my logo since our inception. I have never dove it but hope to someday be granted that opportunity. Cheers and happy diving!
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: What's up with Porthole?

Post by no excuses »

The mark V is fun to dive though it is a tad bit heavy with the full suit, but if you ever get the chance go for it. Last I knew there was only a few outfits still using them in com. diving, but that was a while ago when I went through DIT and they told us that.

stan
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

where is the boat moored? and when can you get it here for some charters??

oh and glad to here from you guys, will you be doing the friday night dive to the barges again?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

no excuses wrote:The mark V is fun to dive though it is a tad bit heavy with the full suit, but if you ever get the chance go for it. Last I knew there was only a few outfits still using them in com. diving, but that was a while ago when I went through DIT and they told us that.

stan
Yeah, I know of some old school Abalone divers who use them, but they're way old school. 0]

I dove the MK-V's at DIT. They're a hoot. I made sure to dive every mask and hat there (Including the ones we aren't supposed to dive anymore) 0].

They are super heavy though. Looks great in the Dive logs though. 0]

D(B)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey Mike, I wondered what the scoop was! I keep hearing things and am glad you came out to tell it 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak.

To everyone - this is a great dive boat - based out of West Seattle - one you should experience!

Here's our gang on the boat this past summer out at Neah Bay:

On board compressor (w/Nitrox capability), nice dive ladder:

Roomy interior with three tables for divers to sit at, plenty of ceiling handholds (used here for pullups?!) and dual flat-screen monitors with lots of interesting stuff to watch (if you don't like the scenery!):

Here's Captain Mike (Fergie) watching whales:

View from the water:

More of the interior with the computer geeks geeking out happily:

Oh, and one last thing - a ROOMY head with hot water shower :) Great for warming gloves/hoods before that second dive.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Okay, that's pretty wicked awesome.

Trip information, prices, overnights, etc?

Thanks,
D(B)
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

defied wrote:Okay, that's pretty wicked awesome.

Thanks,
D(B)
My wife and I are signed up for a 2 dive trip out of Tacoma on the 6th of December. Contact Porthole or Josh and Wally at Tacoma Scuba. It may already be full. I am sure that Mike has other trips scheduled, give him a call. Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

Burntchef wrote:where is the boat moored? and when can you get it here for some charters??

oh and glad to here from you guys, will you be doing the friday night dive to the barges again?

We are back in Seattle at Harbor Island but at Dock "C" not "E". We are now operating every weekend if we have divers wanting to see Puget Sounds finest dive sites. We are reviving Friday Night Dives and will change locations to keep it fresh.
We are in Tacoma one weekend per month and the Friday Night Dive in Tacoma will be followed by a stop at world famous Tides Tavern for fish n chips and a brew :occasion5: (must be 21 to enter).
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

nwscubamom wrote:Hey Mike, I wondered what the scoop was! I keep hearing things and am glad you came out to tell it 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak.

To everyone - this is a great dive boat - based out of West Seattle - one you should experience!

Here's our gang on the boat this past summer out at Neah Bay:

On board compressor (w/Nitrox capability), nice dive ladder:

Roomy interior with three tables for divers to sit at, plenty of ceiling handholds (used here for pullups?!) and dual flat-screen monitors with lots of interesting stuff to watch (if you don't like the scenery!):

Here's Captain Mike (Fergie) watching whales:

View from the water:

More of the interior with the computer geeks geeking out happily:

Oh, and one last thing - a ROOMY head with hot water shower :) Great for warming gloves/hoods before that second dive.

Thanks Janna =D> I have heard from Christy and she is looking for Neah Bay dates for next year. Any preferences?
fergie
Just Settling In

Post by fergie »

defied wrote:Okay, that's pretty wicked awesome.

Thanks,
D(B)
I am currently working on 2009 calendar but love putting together custom trips to destinations divers want to go. Check the Web Site for dates and prices.You may also call or email me.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Link?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

fergie wrote:Thanks Janna =D> I have heard from Christy and she is looking for Neah Bay dates for next year. Any preferences?
Um, yeah! If it's up to me, I'd pick Tues - Sat on either:
Aug 11th - 15th or
Aug 25th - 29th

Currents look pretty good those weeks!

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nwscubamom