10 Signs You're Addicted to Diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: 10 Signs You're Addicted to Diving

Post by defied »

You lay down on the escalator so you don't wreck your horizontal ascension record.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

LCF wrote:SockMonkey is an addict. He was out at Cove 2 tonight in weather that made ME wonder if I wanted to go diving, and what did he want to do? SKILLS!
I had no idea there was any other kind of weather around here. Why else dive with such a bright light during the day?
mz53480 wrote:OK, 1 more....

You use spit or 'sea drops' to defog your car windshield.......

:fish:
51 signs!

Every single time I spit into my mask I think of Mr. Hooper from Jaws "I got no spit"... Every time without fail.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

My position on sea-food is this: When I dive, everything I see down there is trying to eat the other things I see down there. I'm just trying to fit in. :smt051

-Ben (gone native)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

- Before you've even finished your current dive trip you are planning your return....

- when you see a box titled "Trail Mix" in the grocery store you think it says "TRIMIX" at first glance....

Not that I'd know that or anything....

-Valerie
(mmmmm.... Trimix.....)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, Valerie, as one addict to another, I think flying across the country to look at wet rocks is prima facie evidence of addiction. Don't you?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

No, I'm not addicted.... I can quit anytime I want to.... I just don't CHOOSE to....

And wet rocks are, well, art! Yeah, that's it, Nature's Art! So, really, I wasn't on a dive trip, I was on a cultural enlightenment tour! Yes, that's it, a CET..... and I think my next CET might be in February....

What I won't do for art....

-Valerie
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:I didn't include Pez's pamphlet-you-find-outside-the-school-nurses'-office material... because it was just that funny.... and scary.

Did I miss anything?
-when you're not actually out diving, you're online writing about it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Here's a sure sign that Katalin is addicted to diving. It seems that when daylight savings time came, the only time piece in the house that was adjusted was here dive computer, so........

You know your addicted to diving when the only clock in the house you set to DST is your dive computer.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Intervention....? Not sure even where to start for the 12 steps to recovery....

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over diving — that our lives had become unmanageable?
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

You just won't let this thread die!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Number eleventy-nine:

You get your SO's attention across a parking lot by waving a flashlight at them (I actually did that this morning. And it was a spare dive light!).
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

After a stressful night transiting back from Mexico, you flash your wife the "are you okay" tap on the top of the head across baggage claim, and she responds.

Sorry, just got back, and was stoked that she got it right away. 0]
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

- I plan my REEF classes months in advance - but only on days that have horrendous tidal exchanges so I won't feel bad about being stuck in a classroom instead of diving.

- You start seeing marine life in things on land - like grunt sculpins in paisley wallpaper print, or nudibranchs in objects on the ground - or flowers that look more like anemones...you're constantly doing double-takes.

- You try to remember what other sports you used to do before you got into diving, so you can fall back on those while your drysuit is in the shop and your other gear is being serviced.

- You don't bat an eye at dropping over $1500 for an underwater camera, but cringe to spend that much on a topside camera setup.

- Your photos of fish outnumber the photos of your grandchildren, by far. (oh dear!)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have a pair of earrings and matching necklace pendant . . . that are NUDIBRANCHS.

My husband and I were doing some work on the boat engine today, and flashing hand signal numbers at one another to communicate the desired RPM (useful, actually, because with that engine, one can't hear oneself think, let alone anybody else shouting).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

LCF wrote:I have a pair of earrings and matching necklace pendant . . . that are NUDIBRANCHS...
I have a pair of earrings and matching necklace pendant that are NUDIBRANCHS.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

LCF wrote:I have a pair of earrings and matching necklace pendant . . . that are NUDIBRANCHS.
:smt038 Now we're talking! When you hang sea slugs from your earlobes that's commitment. =D>
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey