"rebreather for sport divers"

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: "rebreather for sport divers"

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:If products like this succeed there will be a flood of new CCR divers who didn't/won't achieve the level of commitment, skill, and knowledge required of CCR divers today.

I still might want one though.

-Ben
That's all true, Ben. And more power to them- if this thing succeeds, they will have captured lightening in a bottle. They will have made a relatively safe rebreather. It will galvanize the industry, and cause many heads to turn. Most of us simply can't believe it's that good. Sure, I'll snort at the newbs who flock to the new recreational rebreather classes, if it happens- and I'll tell war stories about "back in the day." But I'll also be really stoked to take the next generation of safer CCRs down a lot deeper than the recreational set will go. I just can't quite believe it's really real. It seems almost like someone has finally invented a motorcycle that you can safely drive naked while drunk, as long as you don't go faster than 65 mph. Seriously- it's that radical of a claim.
Well said!

In addition, you have the viewpoint of us "old farts". For years, at virtually every DEMA that I recall, new rebreathers have been announced at a variety of booths with much hoopla, zim-zam, and assorted fanfare. The vast majority of them (with the exception of those announced by existing CCR manufacturers) were displayed as prototypes with promises that shipping was about to commence. In most cases, the following year at DEMA the "new and incredible" CCRs announced the previous year were nowhere to be seen and questions about them were answered with darting eyes and sheepish expressions. I have thus become jaded over "new, revolutionary" CCR announcements.

I would be happy as a clam if this proves to be as good as they say it is, but until the units are actually in the water and are actively and safely being dived by the public, I'll take a wait and see attitude. My biggest doubt about this new unit is the "one sensor is enough" philosophy. From personal experience I do not believe that the quality level of O2 sensors has reached a point where they are infallible - I very much believe in and enjoy the triple-redundancy philosophy when it comes to O2 sensors.

In the meantime, I wish the creators good fortune and success!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ryanone
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ryanone »

Joshua Smith wrote:I know, I know- I want to rip into this one really bad- but it was designed by two pretty exceptional individuals- Bill Stone and Richard Pyle. Because they're behind it, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and wait. Maybe it really is as great as they say.
Look at it this way,,If it has issues you could always use the computer for a ping pong paddle
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have to confess to re breather envy but at todays prices I might as well be dreaming of my own personal sub!

I agree on allot of the points expressed here especially those stated from good solid experience with the present day equipment by divers like GD and Josh and others. I also agree that when it comes to things like parachutes, helicopters and life support equipment I am solidly in the "let someone else be the guinea pig" category. I am not the test pilot type.

On the other hand new tech will always be coming on line and we should all keep an open mind and not dis it simply because it is not what we were taught. If a product is proven safe and brings the costs down to a level making it more available to more people then "Bless those who make it possible"! The people behind this product are experienced CCR builders with years of experience not some fly by night outfit. If they are willing to stake their reputation and financial future on a product I'm willing to keep an open mind.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Dusty, Did you know that the KISS Sport is currently selling for $3726? I've got 2 drysuits that cost about that (each)! The Classic KISS is in the $4500 range and the rEvo is less the $6K.

The last RBW discussion on the Poseidon has the price somewhere around $6330 plus training.

I could have a Sport Kiss, full trimix CCR computer and training for about the same as the Poseidon, If you want a recreational rebreather look at the Sport Kiss, Kim considers it a 175' or less rebreather and it's great for travel.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

A smart man (Not me) is already thinking of what accessories this thing will require, and how it can be "upgraded" so that he can be the first in line to offer additional equipment for the latest and greatest newest most fantastic underwater thingymabob on the market. That intellectual (again, not me) will be making money hand over fist.

I say it's voodoo. Stear clear of it. It's an accident waiting to happen. Take the "Cuda" for example. Nobody jumped on that bandwagon. It's just too fast, and dangerous, and it hasn't been "tested". Give it a few years. :evil4:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

From the comments above, it sounds like rebreather technology (not just this CCR) could really use a more reliable kind of O2 sensor, eh? Hmm...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yes.
60south wrote:From the comments above, it sounds like rebreather technology (not just this CCR) could really use a more reliable kind of O2 sensor, eh? Hmm...
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

I'd give it a try ...good dive buddy skills are a decent measure of safety. So even if there's a malfunction with this thing just share some air. Although, I'm more worried about going hypoxic than OoA.