Footing at Cove 2

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Footing at Cove 2

Post by LCF »

I'm supposed to dive at Cove 2 tomorrow night, and I'm wondering what the conditions are like there. Not for diving, but for walking around in the parking lot, and most importantly, for getting down the stairs and down the rocks. Icy? Slicker than normal? I need to decide what gear to bring, and footing will make a difference.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Footing at Cove 2

Post by dsteding »

It is nasty downtown, I'd expect the same at Cove 2-parking lots and sidewalks are probably ice.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Personally, I would avoid Cove 2 when it's like this. There's just enough slope to make it dangerous.

At a minimum, I'd wear a singles rig. At least that way if you fall, you've less risk of hurting yourself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Grateful Diver wrote:Personally, I would avoid Cove 2 when it's like this. There's just enough slope to make it dangerous.

At a minimum, I'd wear a singles rig. At least that way if you fall, you've less risk of hurting yourself.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
<Hijack>
:smt064 That would be better than wearing a married or just dating rig? :evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I am seeing a special made plate that attaches to your tank that acts like a sled. You just sit down, lay back and WWEEEEEEEE SPLASH great entry but be sure to have your regulator in your mouth and BCD inflated. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

You know I am actually kidding right? :evil4: :evil4: :evil4:
Jeff Castor
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

When Bob and I were at Cove 2 weekend before last, there was a layer of ice and the sidewalk, stairs, and parking lots were all extremely slick. If it's anything like what it was when we were there (and it's probably worse), I'd avoid it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thanks. As much as I hated to do it, I just canceled on Kate. I don't mind the cold air or the coldish water, but another fracture is NOT acceptable!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:Thanks. As much as I hated to do it, I just canceled on Kate. I don't mind the cold air or the coldish water, but another fracture is NOT acceptable!
Bob and I discussed the option of those quasi-krampons to get to/from the vehicles. I would say the chance of falling is fairly good.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

One may not only one hurt themself, but they may, also, hurt their dive gear as well! I slipped and fell on the ice in Iceland. I was wearing just a single tank, and generally not clumsy on snow or ice. Didn't hurt myself, but did break the exhaust port on my primary regulator. Luckily, was able to borrow BbbleMkr's regulator set-up. Ice can be treacherous in dive gear!