Diving Resolutions

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Diving Resolutions

Post by Fishstiq »

Anyone else make diving resolutions for the coming year? Things you would like to accomplish in your diving in the next 365 days? Goals, achievements or certifications you would like to claim in the 52 weeks to follow?

Maybe you want to reach 130fsw? Learn to safely run line? Dive a particular site? Do a certain number of dives? Dive with someone new? Take a class? Get new gear? Hold a safety stop? Well? WELL?

Last night at midnight we were each handed a fresh set of downs and an even scoreboard, and there are now 525,948.766 minutes on the game clock (according to Google). When your 31,556,926 seconds are gone, what will you and your diving have to show for it?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
TCWestby
Submariner

Re: Diving Resolutions

Post by TCWestby »

Lets see...

Hit number 100 before summer starts, I'm way behind.
Get to know some sites south of Alki
Do the drift dive along the beach at Keystone
Take the DAN Oxygen administrator class.
Start DM Training......
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I am hoping to increase my number of dives 10 fold at least (this shouldn't be hard as I have 3 logged total) in 2009. Planning on taking my advanced course as well as supporting my wife in getting her certification.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Take and pass Cave 2.

Take and pass somebody's Tech 1. That means solving the midwater disorientation issue that has plagued me from the beginning of my diving career, and would be a BIG deal.

Make 3 trips to MX.

Do a LOT more dives off our own boat.

Do a significant amount more mentoring. I missed doing that this year.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

trimix

more wreck diving

more charter boat trips

take meg training with ken, even though iam not getting one.

have a huge helium bill #-o
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Dive #1000
Jenn
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

trained up on the Meg

lots and lots of hours on the unit

more wreck diving

more charter boat trips

lots of dives on the new RIB

ccr trimix

have a tiny helium bill :evil4:

.....And if I am really lucky get back to Bonaire with my wife
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Get more dives in (thats gonna be easy lol)
get the girlfriend certified, she goes for pool and class work this weekend and open waters next- woot woot
more power on the boat for better diver hauling

oh yeh did I say get more dives in..
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i wouldn't really call these resolutions, more like goals:

• • dive as much as i can
    • take rescue and DAN DES in april
    • learn more about decompression
    • learn to sling a bottle
    • talk to bdub about a UTD rec3 class
    • talk more with bob bailey about becoming a NAUI dive master
    • dive with more experienced divers to absorb what knowledge i can
    • dive with less experienced divers to pay it forward
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

More dives and set up my gear with the config I have seen some others with the 7' reg hose and such.
Rescue Cert.
More dives.
Take LOTS of pictures and
More Dives.
Meet with some others on here so that I can sponge information off of them and more dives.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I've been mulling this over for a couple of weeks and I have finally realized what my resolution is, and I have PEZ to thank for it.

Last year we were eating dinner after a dive at BHUT. He was telling me about getting a short-notice invite to do a Port Hardy trip to the Hideaway. He was inclined to pass for all the usual reasons (costs too much, no time to get ready, would have to take time off of work...) but he decided to make himself say yes anyway. He explained that he was starting to see that he needed to seize more opportunities. Saying "I can't right now, I'll do it some other time when [insert excuse]." is lying to yourself. You can't put opportunities on a shelf and pull them down when it's convenient. Opportunities never come when it's convenient.

So my resolution is to follow that lead and both create and seize diving opportunities in 2009. No more waiting around for all the variables to magically line up on their own.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Well I let around 14 hours of the new year pass before my first ever OW dive in a dry suit.

This year I want to take a nitrox class fairly soon now that I own a couple of tanks.

Some time this winter I want to take an AOW class.

Finally I want to meet up with some of the folks on this board since I have missed diving in Nov. and Dec. when my usual buddies were not available.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... as others have mentioned, I'm not sure that "resolutions" would be the best way to describe my diving thoughts for this year ahead. That being said, here's a few:

-Continue to loose weight and get physically healthier.

-As I continue to progress in this area I want to twin up my 100's and get comfortable diving doubles with a goal of hitting some sites a bit deeper and longer for critters than I've been able to before.

-Dive once a week. If I manage this, then numbers take care of themselves. I suppose hitting at least 100 dives a year is a reasonable goal, one that I've managed to do every year in the short time I've been certified.

-Meet more of the folks on this board and dive in their general vicinity!

-Dive Vancouver Island. Not sure how I'm going to do this as I beleive it's an outlay of 5 to 10 scuba units minimum, but I really want to try and get this done - most likely late Summer early Fall. If I could pull this off as a road trip with a couple buddies I would SO go for it, doing as much shore diving as possible... but Pt. Hardy and Browning Pass are calling loudly!

-I've got tickets to the Dominican Republic and Bonaire, and firm Sitka diving plans, so those aren't technically "goals", but sure trips I'm looking forward to!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:-As I continue to progress in this area I want to twin up my 100's and get comfortable diving doubles with a goal of hitting some sites a bit deeper and longer for critters than I've been able to before.
tom nic feels the allure of the dark side after all!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:-As I continue to progress in this area I want to twin up my 100's and get comfortable diving doubles with a goal of hitting some sites a bit deeper and longer for critters than I've been able to before.
tom nic feels the allure of the dark side after all!
It's not really the dark side if it's about critters! :smt051 It's only the dark side if it's about wrecks or caves. :smt064

Actually I've felt the allure ever since seeing video of the Pinnacles off of Sitka, Alaska. 130 to 160', 5' Ling Cod everywhere, (literally hundreds) Pink and Purple Hydrocoral, and the occasional 70lb halibut slowly cruising by. Now THAT's a dive I'd go into deco for!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm planning on taking a rescue class in April. Other than that I'd relly like to explore some of the wrecks that are within rec limits like the posession point ferry, the omar and who knows maybe even the diamond knot :supz:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I want to keep it simple and just plan on diving one or two dives, every week in 2009. Everything else is a bonus! :supz:

Oh yeah, and meet and dive with more divers on this board. :toimonster:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: