to bungee or not to bungee

General topics about technical diving.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: to bungee or not to bungee

Post by scottsax »

Paulicarp wrote:
Sounder wrote:Yeah, it's no secret... I DO love Deep Sea Supply (DSS) gear!! Many folks here do and sometimes it looks like DSS sponsored the dive when we've got 8-10 DSS rigs all lined up in a row.
OK Sounder, I'll bite- What is it you like about DSS in general? (and please don't say 'the commission on the sale')

What do you like about the wings compared to Halcyon and OMS?

What do you like about the DSS harness system compared to the others like Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, and ???

One of the things that seemed to make sense to me about the OMS IQ pack is that I can start without the backplate and other extras for now, and buy them as I progress to doubles, stage bottles, etc later on. At what point in my advancement will this system become a limitation?
I'm not Sounder, but...

Speaking as a single-tank only diver (for now), I like my DSS Torus 35lb wing + ss backplate/hogarthian harness because the wing has an elongated shape that fits nicely around my 120, provides more than enough lift, and with the additional weight plates on the bp, means I have less weight to carry elsewhere. The Hog harness is stupidly simple and infinitely adjustable. Because it is one piece, there are no failure points anywhere. Doug or others could speak to the adaptability of the setup for doubles, as I have no experience with that.

When you factor in the simplicity of the design, coupled with Tobin's (the owner) phenomenal customer service and expertise, buying a DSS rig was really a no-brainer. :occasion5:

Of course, there are many other manufaturer's setups out there that many great divers more experienced than I use and love, so try as many out as possible (folks here love to share gear and talk about why they like what they like!) before making your final decision.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

scottsax wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:
Sounder wrote:Yeah, it's no secret... I DO love Deep Sea Supply (DSS) gear!! Many folks here do and sometimes it looks like DSS sponsored the dive when we've got 8-10 DSS rigs all lined up in a row.
OK Sounder, I'll bite- What is it you like about DSS in general? (and please don't say 'the commission on the sale')

What do you like about the wings compared to Halcyon and OMS?

What do you like about the DSS harness system compared to the others like Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, and ???

One of the things that seemed to make sense to me about the OMS IQ pack is that I can start without the backplate and other extras for now, and buy them as I progress to doubles, stage bottles, etc later on. At what point in my advancement will this system become a limitation?
Here are mine:

Halcyon

Benefit:
Very low profile for the lift capacity
Accordion style corrugated hose
Reasonable length corrugated hose
New style inflator (inflate button on the same side as the mouth piece)

Drawback
Cost

OMS
Benefit
Still works reasonably well

Drawbacks
Slightly higher profile for the lift capacity than halcyon
Non Accordion style corrugated hose
Very long or very short corrugated hose
Old school inflator
Cost

DSS
Benefit
Cost
Works reasonably well

Drawbacks
Non Accordion style corrugated hose
Does not accept STA very well.

You can. That the beauty of this system, but IQ packs are relatively expensive and when they wear out they are usually done, not to mention they rarely fit as well as a simple web harness.

You can get a used back plate for about $50 and the webbing and all the hardware for about $40. The metal will never wear out and you can replace the webbing for about $8.

Some people swear IQ packs are more comfortable out of the water. I wouldn’t know, I spend more time in the water than out when I am in my gear \:D/ .

Scott
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Scubagirl45 wrote:I thought we were going to talk about bungee jumping.........I like bungee jumping! :bounce:
OK, if we're not going to talk about bungee jumping, I'll just move on.
Was that...? it sounded like...? Can I get a ruling from the judges?

Yes, that was Loretta hijacking a thread! :smt064
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I just love DSS gear. I'll write more of why on Monday. FWIW - I don't get a commission to say that.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:I just love DSS gear. I'll write more of why on Monday. FWIW - I don't get a commission to say that.
Doug, at this point, you would have to show me a copy of your 1099 schedule to prove it!
DSS makes some great gear, and I encourage people to shop there. But I have a lot of love for GOLEM GEAR AS WELL! And, for the record, I am currently using an Oxycheq wing on my Meg, and I love it, too.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's a trick question (and one that made me smile, thanks)... if I had a 1099 to show you, then my statement would have been false!! I HAVE no 1099 from DSS!! I'm just a DSS homer. Golem gear is awesome stuff too. As mentioned, we're lucky to have so many options.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sounder wrote:I just love DSS gear. FWIW - I don't get a commission to say that.
Well, Maybe you should :smt064 "Dear DSS... :smt024 \:D/ :notworthy: :hello2: :evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BASSMAN wrote:
Sounder wrote:I just love DSS gear. FWIW - I don't get a commission to say that.
Well, Maybe you should :smt064 "Dear DSS... :smt024 \:D/ :notworthy: :hello2: :evil4:
Tobin takes very good care of his customers and he is a wealth of knowledge who is always accessible and willing to talk... and the man knows a lot about just about anything you could possibly have a question on.

He also takes care of future customers. Not only did he spend lots of time on the phone with BigFameOne Jake before his purchase, but he sent Baby Sounder his aluminum back-plate (one of the ONLY aluminum back plates DSS produced too!). Tobin's a neat guy and we're fortunate to have him.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Adding to the DSS love fest

Post by Pez7378 »

Adding to the DSS love fest :vom: :evil4:
scottsax wrote:
Scubagirl45 wrote:I thought we were going to talk about bungee jumping.........I like bungee jumping! :bounce:
OK, if we're not going to talk about bungee jumping, I'll just move on.
Was that...? it sounded like...? Can I get a ruling from the judges?

Yes, that was Loretta hijacking a thread! :smt064
It's okay Scott, she owns a DSS bp/w!! =D> Hey! come to think of it, You do too! :smt064

Paulicarp, I too have a DSS rig. My first experience diving a bp/w was a Halcyon rig lent to me by my instructor. I fell in love with the simplicity and design. When I started shopping around, I was comparing both DSS and the Halcyon rigs. For me, it came down to this, the DSS rig was less expensive, didn't require a STA (single tank adapter) and Tobin was readily available to me to if I had Q's. That's customer service. Call the number on the site, and Tobin will most likely answer the phone. I've had it for two years and it's bombproof.

As far as the bungee Question, asked and answered. Not necessary. :vom:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

vbcoachchris wrote: Argument for: Might help deflate the wing if there is minor bladder damage.
Rebuttal: No damaged wing will hold air
I've pulled the LP inflator off my corrugated hose, and unscrewed my dump valve while doing the swirl to find the string to pull. In neither case did I lose any gas from my non-bungee wing. In fact when I lost my dump valve I stayed neutral as bones tried to screw it back on and he wound up spinning me turtle at 70 feet before I got him to back off and I dumped all the gas out of the wing and grabbed the bottom so that I became a stable platform (a case when all the GUE neutral-buoyancy, perfect trim, rule #6 needed to be sacrificed to the gods of getting the job done).
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Ask all the questions you want, thinking ahead is to be encouraged. I was attracted to the bungee as well, they seemed so nice and tidey. the snagging potential did catch my concern, but I think in the end it was the concern that they elastic might make it hard to manually inflate in a worst case, numb lips from cold water, OOA scenario. I never got past those two concerns, but who knows, had I barrowed such a wing, maybe i'd have found it not to be a big deal, they do look cool.

g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think DSS is one of the best choices for a new diver looking for a single tank rig. Tobin is a WONDERFUL source of information, and he will not sell you a gear combination that you will be unhappy with. The quality of construction is excellent, and the gear is built by an active diver.

The only criticism I have of DSS gear is that it is optimized for the single tank diver -- the SS plates do not work well with all doubles, because the bolt length is sometimes an issue. That's a pretty small criticism, because if you are going to go to doubles and technical diving, you're going to end up with a ton of gear anyway.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I don't have a DSS kit, but it's what I'd buy if I were buying today. Go to divematrix.com and read what Tobin has written about wing design. Then go diving with someone who has a DSS rig and look it over closely. You'll go home and order one (and the decision won't have anything to do with price even though it's good).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey