HOG regulators

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
cerich
Just Settling In

Re: HOG regulators

Post by cerich »

spatman wrote:
cerich wrote:I have 3 more wings, all donut in development and a side mount system. Late early or early mid summer availability.
any previews available of the sidemount system? how much lift does it have?
~50-55lbs lift and nope :neener:

seriously, as soon as I am happy with the system I'll be shouting from the rooftops
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

cerich wrote:
spatman wrote:
cerich wrote:I have 3 more wings, all donut in development and a side mount system. Late early or early mid summer availability.
any previews available of the sidemount system? how much lift does it have?
~50-55lbs lift and nope :neener:

seriously, as soon as I am happy with the system I'll be shouting from the rooftops
ha, looking forward to it.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

You know, I stopped buying Halcyon for several years[*] because of some issues they had with customer service around 2004-2005 where they seemed to be quick to blame divers for issues with their product, and I got tired of seeing dive buddies treated that way and tired of reading threads about it on the internet. I've actually only recently come back around to Halcyon after it appears that they've fixed those customer service issues (and I even saw a report of Halcyon standing behind a warranty repair for a light bought grey market on ebay awhile back).

To be thoroughly consistent, though, I really don't like reading accusations that the diver caused the problem.

Chris, to his credit, seems to be avoiding going there, but I still don't like reading about it from other divers...

[*] well, i guess i was still buying Halcyon reels and spools for awhile, but it'd take some serious talent to need to contact customer service for repair/replacement of those -- both my primary and both my backup lights are currently not Halcyon though...
cerich
Just Settling In

Post by cerich »

Seriously over the last 16 years full time in the dive industry I've seen quite a few wings(all brands) get pinched between the backplate and a hard place. It cuts the wing. Sure you can call it divers fault or quite often it's design fault. My double wings have a nylon inner and the space for the backplate is designed to have the backplate sit fully in the non inflatable area. That reduces the chance of it getting pinched. It still can of course. Making the wing so it wont ever would involve making a super heavy wing (material wise and overall) and that is a compromise I don't subscribe to.

Blaming the cust...sometimes brands do that to avoid warranty claims and sometimes it's because it was actually the divers fault, often it is the divers instructors fault :eek: I refuse to do the first, it pisses me off, the second pisses other people off and life is too short for that. I try and take the opportunity to educate if I can so it doesn't happen again and have the person still enjoy their purchase. Regardless there is always room to work toward having all parties be at least somewhat happy with the outcome.

I would have taken care of the bladder issue as the owner posted, however that doesn't mean if you decide to drag your gear to the dive behind your car I'll warranty the resulting damage. Now if you tell me you goofed and forgot that it was attached by a rope behind the car and are almost in tears...I'll want pictures and work with you....
lamont wrote:You know, I stopped buying Halcyon for several years[*] because of some issues they had with customer service around 2004-2005 where they seemed to be quick to blame divers for issues with their product, and I got tired of seeing dive buddies treated that way and tired of reading threads about it on the internet. I've actually only recently come back around to Halcyon after it appears that they've fixed those customer service issues (and I even saw a report of Halcyon standing behind a warranty repair for a light bought grey market on ebay awhile back).

To be thoroughly consistent, though, I really don't like reading accusations that the diver caused the problem.

Chris, to his credit, seems to be avoiding going there, but I still don't like reading about it from other divers...

[*] well, i guess i was still buying Halcyon reels and spools for awhile, but it'd take some serious talent to need to contact customer service for repair/replacement of those -- both my primary and both my backup lights are currently not Halcyon though...
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Chris, you sound like the kind of guy we all want to do business with. I wish you guys had been around when I bought my scubapro regs, which are great, BUT, customer service has regressed with the slide in the economy, and having a free parts for life warranty is impossible (or at least unlikely) to get honored unless you happen to have a scubapro dealer in your backyard (which I, unfortunately, don't). I think it is great that you get it that if we are intelligent enough to learn to dive and we want to service our gear, we can probably figure that out, and you will provide resources for training, and parts. I like my regs, but honestly I could probably save some bucks selling them and replacing them with HOGS.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've owned wings by five different companies ... had pinch flats with most (I'm not careful with my gear) ... and had pretty good experiences getting most repaired. Only one company was less than forthcoming with their customer service ... and it's one that's not been mentioned in this thread. I don't do business with that company anymore, not because of a wing ... but because they sold me an expensive backup light that never worked, and when I complained about it, the owner told me to take my business elsewhere. So I did.

Guess my only point is that I have yet to meet a manufacturer whose products are flawless ... I've met several whose customer service is flawless. Those are the ones I'll continue doing business with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

boy step away from the internet for a while.. this thread goes crazy. Just saying that I am more impressed with HOG after reading this explosion and will make sure to continue to support them with other gear I purchase. Specifically some possible side-mount setups in the future since its the cat's meow right now and all.

I cant wait to talk about this one at the next club dive! haha if we keep it from getting locked we can get every active member to post a comment in the thread
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

[slightly off topic]

As LJ said, I'm no sock puppet. In fact I was out with Koos, Laura and Kees last night to dive and talk about the politics of diving here in the PNW. I dive a ton and I really am way to busy to be on the forums posting and commenting, etc.

Trevor, before you pass judgement, come dive with me and let me know what you think face to face. It's really hard to hurt my feelings.

There is no point to defend myself here when I will eventually meet most of you. Just come into the dive shop on Aurora on the weekends. I'll be glad to chit chat.

Yours truly,

Sock Puppet Will
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hi Will - glad you're not a sock puppet, and glad that Laura vouched for you.

If it wasn't for that fact we would have no idea - no clue who you are, etc. etc etc. When your first post on NWDC is in a controversial thread with a bit of a controversial (or contrary) opinion and not much else, Trevor isn't the only one who had that thought. This wasn't personal - it just looked and sounded a bit like a sock puppet.

Opinions are welcome. The more is known about the poster the more their opinions can be considered and have weight. Opinions from pretty much anonymous folks out of the blue get noticed - and don't usually have much weight.

Appreciate that you don't have time to be on the board much (dear lord, somebody has to have a life), and happy to have you around. Face to face is always best - but when you do put in an appearance, it's always good to understand a bit of how that appearance may be perceived. Nettiquete, or some such, I believe is the term?

And welcome to NWDC,

Best Regards,

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

I totally get it. I'm an open book. If you want to know, just ask. :)

I'll try to post here when I have free time (like today) and something important to say. Otherwise, my mouth is going to be shut.

Any who, I'll see y'all underwater.

Cheers,

Sock Puppet
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

Opinions are welcome. The more is known about the poster the more their opinions can be considered and have weight. Opinions from pretty much anonymous folks out of the blue get noticed - and don't usually have much weight.
do I get to have opinions yet?
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Lets hear about the Special addition Murdered out regulator...

What's special about it? Just no turret and cheaper?
HOG-D2-Black-Din-600.jpg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Lets hear about the Special addition Murdered out regulator...

HOG-D2-Black-Din-600.jpg
Its black, although mine seem to have faded to a very dark chocolate. Maybe its the spring sun.
Its got no turrent and Apeks DS4 type port configuration
Otherwise functionally the same as a turreted, sealed diaphram reg. Crappy chroming notwithstanding lol.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

KaizerWilhelm wrote:[slightly off topic]

As LJ said, I'm no sock puppet. In fact I was out with Koos, Laura and Kees last night to dive and talk about the politics of diving here in the PNW. I dive a ton and I really am way to busy to be on the forums posting and commenting, etc.

Trevor, before you pass judgement, come dive with me and let me know what you think face to face. It's really hard to hurt my feelings.

There is no point to defend myself here when I will eventually meet most of you. Just come into the dive shop on Aurora on the weekends. I'll be glad to chit chat.

Yours truly,

Sock Puppet Will
No hard feelings Swill (sockpuppet will?) :)

As soon as other stepped in to point out you were for honest the issue was resolved for me. I'd be happy to go diving!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

KaizerWilhelm wrote:........ I'm an open book. If you want to know, just ask. :)

Cheers,

Sock Puppet

Full name? SSN? DOB, mothers maiden name and bank account numbers please.... never can be to careful :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

current bank account balance too, if you please.... i just don't wanna be wasting any time if ya ain't got no funds :)
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
cerich
Just Settling In

Post by cerich »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Lets hear about the Special addition Murdered out regulator...

HOG-D2-Black-Din-600.jpg

Murdered???ROFLMAO

It's simple, I have their weird belief that when people are lining up at 1am the night before Black Friday to buy flat screen TV's and cheap laptops that my dealers and divers should get to play as well. So..... Special Edition Regs for Black Friday, brought in small quantity and sold in the feeding frenzy that is BF, except now my dealers get to sell stuff instead of just the big box retailers and divers get to buy scuba gear at great prices as well as the cool new 42 ft. 9D flat screen home siding entertainment center with hulu 20,000 channel connectivity.

The darn critter proved pretty popular so there is a good chance you'll see them around every so often for a short period, then fade away , then come back. It's kinda fun.
Dive Right In Scuba
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Dive Right In Scuba »

WOW.....Great read.

If your interested in Hog regs, buy them! We are a large Hog dealer, and sell a ton of them due to their great value and workmanship. If there was a problem with them, even an isolated problem....we would have seen it first, and Chris would have made an announcement ASAP (like he did when his wings had a spring issue) We have NEVER seen a plating issue with any of the Edge/Hog regs.

I have a hard time believing they even serviced 30 of them....Maybe I am wrong though.

Either way, Buy them....they are phenomenal regs, great price, and Chris really does have the best customer service out there. We wouldn't lie about all the plating issues he has if he wasn't giving us a kickback.....errrrr.... :eek: Just kiddin

If ANYONE EVER has an issue with plating, even in 10+ years, even if not bought from us.....Call me, and I will send you a new one. That is how confident I am in Hog Regs....and you should be too!!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

wow this thread has brought them all out, chris the owner of the reg company, mike the owner of the best online retailer around, and even agent 47s boss, only person who has not come back is agent 47 himself. probably better that way, anyway chris gets some good press and now mike is here to make a special nwdc hog reg limited time offer price, right mike :smt064

good to see you here mike, welcome

howard

Dive Right In Scuba wrote:WOW.....Great read.

If your interested in Hog regs, buy them! We are a large Hog dealer, and sell a ton of them due to their great value and workmanship. If there was a problem with them, even an isolated problem....we would have seen it first, and Chris would have made an announcement ASAP (like he did when his wings had a spring issue) We have NEVER seen a plating issue with any of the Edge/Hog regs.

I have a hard time believing they even serviced 30 of them....Maybe I am wrong though.

Either way, Buy them....they are phenomenal regs, great price, and Chris really does have the best customer service out there. We wouldn't lie about all the plating issues he has if he wasn't giving us a kickback.....errrrr.... :eek: Just kiddin

If ANYONE EVER has an issue with plating, even in 10+ years, even if not bought from us.....Call me, and I will send you a new one. That is how confident I am in Hog Regs....and you should be too!!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Yay, DRIS is in the house! My go-to for many things, but especially dry-adhesive tape, which is the most awesome thing since mixed gas.

-Ben

ps - Of course you've never had plating issues with anything. You only dive in LAKES! :smt064
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Wussy warm water divers...... ;)

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Geek wrote:Wussy warm water divers...... ;)
Chicago? brrr
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

CaptnJack wrote:
Geek wrote:Wussy warm water divers...... ;)
Chicago? brrr
:rofl: :rofl:

Dive Right In Scuba
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Dive Right In Scuba »

LOL>...damn, were did this awesome board come from?? Two posts and I'm hooked!!!

Look at Cerichs Avatar...that was ice diving with me. :) Damn near had to throw him in.....his warm water, old Canadian self, didn't want to do it ;) Then he had a failure out of the Hollis reg I made him dive with :partyman:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I can personally vouch for the DRIS guys, phenomenal crew and go out of their way you help you out... great customer service from the dealer AND manufacturer.. what more can you ask for!!

Welcome to NWDC and its nice to see you on the board guys!!

btw - is this Rich or Mike from DRIS posting?

cheers!!

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White