This doesn't sound good...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by Scubak »

"but quite honestly (and with respect to all), this mumbo jumbo is all pure speculation based on the theoretical physiological responses in the human body to rapid gas diffusion and bubble growth during uncontrolled decompression..

None of us can really say what happened that caused Kirby to skip all his deco... The only person would be Kirby.. Any accounts of wrestling with ship bell's down there and blacking out because of CO2 hit is all speculative."

I will agree that really this is all speculation, even Kirby doesn't seem to know the full details.
As far as Bell Wrestling...I haven't heard anything about that????

I am glad he is alive and seems to be recovering.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Scubak wrote: As far as Bell Wrestling...I haven't heard anything about that????
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 60#p183295

have to ask kirby if he was trying to recover it or something and that increased his workload (if he even remembers).
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks for the link lamont, but I am curious as to "what" bell? I'm sure if it was of any larger size, then what was the plan to recover it? Wouldn't you need at least a 3 man team and a tendered boat? Just asking!!!
Thanks,
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Scubak wrote:Thanks for the link lamont, but I am curious as to "what" bell? I'm sure if it was of any larger size, then what was the plan to recover it? Wouldn't you need at least a 3 man team and a tendered boat? Just asking!!!
Thanks,
Kirsten
Yep. Maybe. Or not, but probably, or else not. I mean, who knows? Maybe Kirby knows. Or not. There was maybe a rumor about a bell. That much, we're kind of pretty much sure about, sort of.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Phil or someone reading this who is visiting him, could you pass on to Kirby that Yvonne from the crab and fish co. says hello, and she's thinking of him... I showed her the picture that was posted and it made her very happy, because she was there on the dock and the way things looked... well, let's just say she cares about all of us nutty divers like we are family... and no one every wants to see their family hurt...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Awesome! I'll be sure to let him know!
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:Phil or someone reading this who is visiting him, could you pass on to Kirby that Yvonne from the crab and fish co. says hello, and she's thinking of him... I showed her the picture that was posted and it made her very happy, because she was there on the dock and the way things looked... well, let's just say she cares about all of us nutty divers like we are family... and no one every wants to see their family hurt...
That's really cool. She's always been a total sweetheart.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

lurkerdude wrote: (yes Keith, I finally made it on here!)
Yay Nurse-Renee! :bounceline: :bounceline:
So your parents finally let you on? :smt064 :hah: =D> \:D/

So glad to read Kirby is doing better :taco: , I plan on getting back to the hospital soon.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

dwashbur wrote:Trying to follow the discussion, but not being a tech diver I need to ask a really stupid question:

What's "back gas"?
The tanks on your back as opposed to stage and deco bottles. Typically used for the "working" part of the dive.
--
DAve Mercer
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

And here I thought it was the gas bubble that formed behind me after eating taco's and beans during the SI and diving.....
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Geek wrote:And here I thought it was the gas bubble that formed behind me after eating taco's and beans during the SI and diving.....
No ... that's ass gas ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Geek wrote:And here I thought it was the gas bubble that formed behind me after eating taco's and beans during the SI and diving.....
No ... that's ass gas ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
back gas... ass gas... same thing so long as i get tacos and burritos I don't care.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

If I didn't already know why I like this place.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby has been discharged from Virginia Mason and moved to the rehabilitation center in Puyallup! He's still pretty weak and having vision problems but moving around and even answering his cell phone! Thanks for all the support!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that's great news, phil. thanks for the continued updates, and give kirby our best.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'm going to go visit Kirby today, I got him a t-shirt from Bonaire and a satin Du-rag.
I'll try to get him to try it on and I'll get a picture, Maybe. :dontknow:
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby is in the Puyallup hospital on the 14th? floor. He is going through some pretty hard rehabilitation and would like to limit visitors to between 1800 and 2000hrs. (6pm-8pm) Please keep that in mind when planning to visit! Thanks to everyone for all the support and prayers!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks for the great news!!!
Gooooooo Kirby!!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yes! Kirby is doing great! :taco:

As Phil has mentioned, Kirby's biggest concern is getting his eye sight back. He has noticed small improvements.
He feels as if, he is walking on a ship, he is walking without the aid of a walker but walks carefully.
First day of Rehab: They put him on a tread stepper and had him standing on one of those rubber balls with the ring around it. They are not messing around there. He hopes to be going home in about four or five days and then he will continue his rehab as an out patient. He is back to his old self with his good humor and has no speech or facial droop from the stroke.
He has a few memory recall stalls but otherwise he has improved by about 500% from the last time I saw him ( two weeks ago).
He remembers everything from coming out of his blackout underwater to getting pulled from the water. I asked him again about "The BELL" and he has no memory of it. I think he remembers almost dying in the Decompression chamber and it has been like one big dream, as he wonders if he might still just be dreaming even today. It was great to see him play with his grandson and he repeated a few times, "I'm really lucky to be alive right now!"
Kirby and his grandson
Kirby and his grandson
Kirby said Sunday will be his official "Day off" from his Rehab stuff and he can have more visitors on that day.
If you want to visit or just talk with him, call his cell # 253-347-2817,(His wife has it with her) but if there is no answer, please do not leave a message, because Kelly has been slammed with too many messages on his phone. Just try to call back later.
So keep the prayers going, for a full and complete recovery!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

That's wonderful news! Thank you so much for all of the updates!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
lurkerdude
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by lurkerdude »

Thanks for the update Bassman!
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I do not know Kirby but I know people like Kirby and have been reading every update and pulling for him as if he was my brother. I Think it is awesome the way things have turned out for Kirby and the way the community has been pulling for him and his family is a testament to who Kirby is and what he has done with his life. I personally think that it may be time to change the name of this thread from " This doesn't sound good..." to this did not sound good but has turned out great.

I am a new diver and I have a lot of respect for Kirby to have it together enough to wake up at 200+ feet with 200lbs air and still get himself to the surface complete with a modified deco stop. :notworthy:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

What great news!!!
Thank you!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Spoke with Kirby yesterday... he was relaxing in his chair AT HOME! He's been released from the hospital but will still undergo outpatient appointments. He plans to get on here and catch everyone up soon! Thanks!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :)
"Let's go diving!"