Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Phineas Gage

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Phineas Gage »

Cove 2 this morning, surprisingly big crowd considering the viz.
It opens up to about 5' at the I-Beams. #-o
Seals were interesting to "see". More like a spooky shapes silently flying by.

The buddha has grown an obscene appendage in the form of a small anenome.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Yeah I dove cove 2 today also. I remember thinking to myself Hmmm I'm in 47 degree water, can't see :toimonster: and I'm lovin it :supz: Conclusion: I must be narked! :occasion5:

I even went for a second dive #-o
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

1-18-09

Redondo, Night dive (6pm), vis ~10 fsw at depth.

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

How about a visibility prediction?

Tomorrow, right around 30 feet or so. :evil4:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:How about a visibility prediction?

Tomorrow, right around 30 feet or so. :evil4:
Pez your units are off, that should be centimeters not feet.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

He was pretty close ... in fact, I'd put it at 30-40 feet. See my Hood Canal report for today ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:He was pretty close ... in fact, I'd put it at 30-40 feet. See my Hood Canal report for today ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
On the South Fingers, I'd put it at 40'-50'!!

Folks, get out there and book a charter with Pacific Adventure!! The vis ROCKS and they're shutting down for a few weeks in February for dock replacement!! Get it while it's hot!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Did anyone dive la deux last night? Has the viz gotten any better? Can anyone see Elliot Bay from their office to tell if it is still pooptastic?

Thanks!

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sockmonkey wrote:Did anyone dive la deux last night? Has the viz gotten any better? Can anyone see Elliot Bay from their office to tell if it is still pooptastic?

Thanks!

-Eric
I'll let you know once the fog clears.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Anyone dove Redondo or TTN lately? Was wondering if viz is getting better. Thanks.
Life is good, let's dive!!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Cove2 last night was much better than last weekend. The impenetrable muck stopped 10 feet down and the viz opened up to about 10-12 feet at a depth of 35 feet... when the seals weren't making it worse. I'm sure it would get better deeper but we stayed shallow last night.

Maybe we should get all of us cove2 commandos together and pray to the goddess of large exchanges for better viz.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Three Tree N. Night dive Thursday , 22 Jan. Vis at depth, 30 feet and lower it just kept getting better. An awsome! 20 or 30 feet, maybe more if I had the "Death Light!"
In the shallows, above 30fsw, it was about 10 to 15 feet.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

My wife and I dove Sunrise this morning, and Les Davis this afternoon. We all read the currents the same way, as the parking lot at Sunrise was full when we arrived!! Viz was about 15 feet. The current stayed stronger than we had expected but it was still a fun dive. Didn't see as many octo's as the last time I was there.

Les Davis was about 10 feet and got worse the deeper we went. Saw a HUGE male wolf eel at 40fsw! First wolf eel for us at Les Davis. Great day of diving! Glad the viz is getting better.
Life is good, let's dive!!
gracefulc
Avid Diver

Post by gracefulc »

Edmonds UWP Saturday 1/24: Viz was good, 15'-ish. Saw a few man-eating ling and cabezon, but only one attempted to eat anyone... :)

Alki-Cove 2 Saturday 1/24 Night Dive: Walked to the water, noticed it resembled milk... attempted to put fin on, couldn't see my flippin foot! Dive Buddy and I decided we were already wet, give it a try down to 20'. By about 15' viz cleared to a silty 3-5' viz, then 20' and below was a nice 5' viz (with enough floating silt that pics would have been impossible but with my HID we could see enough to make it worth it). Viz further compromised by an adorable round grey/black marine mammal taking advantage of our light to catch some fish, but that was fine with me cause....
*enter annoyingly high pitched excited teenage girl voice:
OMG WE DOVE WITH A SEAL!!! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DIVE WITH A SEAL AND ITS SERIOUSLY BEEN A DREAM OF MINE FOR YEARS AND IT KEPT COMING BACK AND IT WAS WITHIN ARMS LENGTH AND I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!
*end teenage-girl esque squealing. \:D/

Finally, to cap off the weekend, Mulkiteo T-dock, Sunday 1/25: Actively snowing and 29 degrees out. Surge/Wind chop on the top, made putting fins on fun! Top 8 ft are 41 degrees of 6-12" viz - BRRRRRRRR!!!!!! 8'-15' viz starts to clear up and by 30 ft we had a nice 10-12ft vizibility and 46 degree water. Went down to 100' just to see what the site had to offer and did a slow loop back up. Viz probably 15' at best, not bad at all.

All in all a good, but COLD weekend! :smt038
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Redondo on Saturday was a good 15+ feet. Cove 2 today, 3-5 feet. I could barely see my fins as I put 'em on (I'm 5'1").

-Valerie
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Three Tree North Sunday afternoon (1/25) lightly snowing and a fresh Northerly causing nasty shore break with floating logs to dodge. Two dives with 15-20' viz.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

Alki Cove 2 tonight 10ft with the occasional 15ft, down to 0 most of the way thanks to the seals.
- Benoit.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thursday,1/29/09

1st dive...Vis at Three Tree N. (Night Dive) 15 to 20 ft.
2nd dive...Vis at Redondo (Night Dive) Same or maybe even better!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Redondo last night and the night before -- Friday, pretty good viz throughout (probably 30 feet). Last night, due to the surge, I think, the viz in the shallows was fairly poor, but it opened up by about thirty feet and was excellent at depth again. (Measurement unit: Could see and identify lumpsucker from fifteen feet away \:D/ )
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Muk 10-15 with periods of 0 if you are behind someone or touch the bottom.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Les Davies this morning, about 15-20 feet of viz.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

defied wrote:Les Davies this morning, about 15-20 feet of viz.
Wow... that's pretty good for Les!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Maybe Monday morning at Les, Tom......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:Maybe Monday morning at Les, Tom......
Hey now, let's not get carried away! :-)

I'm not sure I want to try it there when I was only able to dive 2 days in January... :axe:

I think it will have to be old reliable. If I don't have my computer back I'll be diving with gauges. Downright retro! :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz at Cove 2 at midday was weird -- very good in the shallows (probably 20 feet or better) and absolutely execrable at depth, not getting better at all as you went down, either. Viz at the I-beams was probably 8 to 10 feet at BEST; viz by the pilings below the Honey Bear was worse.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames