CANCELLED- Lake Crescent March 24th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Lake Crescent March 24th

Post by Jeff Pack »

I can bring a tank for you. But that far for 2 dives isn't worth it.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:I can bring a tank for you. But that far for 2 dives isn't worth it.
You'll be too bored for 3. Seriously just do 2 then go get a beer...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

kitsapdiver wrote:Since it looks like Defied, H20Doctor, and maybe Jeff Pack can do Saturday we can move it to Saturday, how does that work for you Vlad? Are you still interested Vlad?
Yep, I'm in. Though, I'll need to bum a tow from one of you, cool people on scooters...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:I can bring a tank for you. But that far for 2 dives isn't worth it.
I'm a water baby, I'm never bored in the water...

kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
Once again... (I feel like I say this way too often)... CaptnJack really is right on this one.

Jeff, not all dives are equal. The Hood Canal, and the Sound will be there for a long time to come, and Lake Crescent is a fabulous dive and if you dive in the PNW you have to see it sometime, but the novelty of it will wear off in 2 dives.

Right now your enthusiasm for diving is great, but this is one of those sites, that people will go do because its' different and a lot of fun, but once they do a dive or two they'll say... "Wow, that was fun! Let's go get a beer! I'm sure I'll do it again... in a year or two".

If you're just trying to log 3-4 dives a day to get the number up you may not enjoy this trip as much as that's not the point. Although I am one who doesn't complain about long dives so I'm sure you'll get your first fill, on at least the first dive when I'm not messing around with the single AL80.

I mean really when it comes down to it. Lake Crescent is an awesome place to dive it has tropics like visibility, and the structure is cool, but there aren't any critters, and it's cold. There is only so long you can enjoy staring at the geology and structure and really be fascinated with it.

And really a trip like this where we travel a bit is a great trip to stop, get a sandwich and a beer on the way home socialize, and make some friends which is a big part of diving for me! I love the people I meet through diving as much as the diving itself!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

vlad wrote:
kitsapdiver wrote:Since it looks like Defied, H20Doctor, and maybe Jeff Pack can do Saturday we can move it to Saturday, how does that work for you Vlad? Are you still interested Vlad?
Yep, I'm in. Though, I'll need to bum a tow from one of you, cool people on scooters...
I don't think that will be an issue sounds like we'll have a few, and I'm willing to tow! And the point of the dive isn't too scooter, per se. But they will help us find the forest if it's a long swim as was suggested by the site H20Doctor posted.

Worst comes to worst and we don't have enough for one per buddy team (or others with scooters don't want to tow) I'll join a team just to kick. I'm in no hurry, just there to have fun!
Last edited by kitsapdiver on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I might stay over for sunday and spearfish sunday in agate Bay.. / 2 tank dive.. Btw need to check the fish regs.. But I'm game to find and film lake cresant..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dr.putz
Just Settling In

Post by dr.putz »

Saturday sounds good. Jeff - If you want to do 3 dives I'm all for it, I agree, long drive for 2 dives. I want to get everything out of it I can. Are you staying the night? If not I'd definitely be willing to carpool.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm coming from tacoma though, so its longer and more expensive to meet you in Seattle, cuz of the ferry.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

H20doctor wrote:I might stay over for sunday and spearfish sunday in agate Bay.. / 2 tank dive.. Btw need to check the fish regs.. But I'm game to find and film lake cresant..
I'm game for some sunday dives, but I'm not a spear'o. Depends what an overnight hotel cost is. (and where)

eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I regularly drive that far, sometimes for even one dive :dontknow:

Sounds a lot like a little quarry in WI called Fortune Pond. We'd go up there for the weekend because the water was clear and blue (rather than the murky brown, measure-your-visibility-in-inches local lakes) but it sure was cold. I think the drive was five hours. There is a certain appeal to freshwater (no gear rinsing, high focus on not silting out, more "zen"), and to "flying" through the trees, but I still don't think we did a three dive day there. I did a (different) freshwater dive once where I zoned out and *literally* ran into a tree. There are some great lakes and quarries in WI where three dives are fun, but there's usually lots of structure there, and the lake is pretty big (or you're wreck diving)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Im sleeping in my van... Down by the river
dr.putz
Just Settling In

Post by dr.putz »

Jeff: That's fine for me though. I don't mind driving down to Tac and then carpooling. Plus the company makes the drive more bearable. If you're up for that. Unless your wife is going an you're staying the night up there. Then of course I'll drive separately.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I may have to apologize and bail on this one.
It seems my appointment maker had previously scheduled me for an appearance at a "shindig" Friday night, and I won't have any ROI if I bag it early (before 10pm).
Add to that all the hobnobbing and connection making, and I may have to endure this by tossing back some perfectly aged vino and commit to some good old fashioned tomfoolery to charm the skirts off of everyone.
This of course means that I may be a slow mover in the AM, and not in the mood for a two hour drive, dive, and return trip.

With undying Respect,
D
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

H20doctor wrote:Im sleeping in my van... Down by the river
doing your spear fishing thing, will you mistake me for a squid as I flail about?

Wont my 35w fish screaming water boiler light scare them away?

But somewhat seriously, whats the plan for sunday?

kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

defied wrote:I may have to apologize and bail on this one.
It seems my appointment maker had previously scheduled me for an appearance at a "shindig" Friday night, and I won't have any ROI if I bag it early (before 10pm).
Add to that all the hobnobbing and connection making, and I may have to endure this by tossing back some perfectly aged vino and commit to some good old fashioned tomfoolery to charm the skirts off of everyone.
This of course means that I may be a slow mover in the AM, and not in the mood for a two hour drive, dive, and return trip.

With undying Respect,
D

I'm Broken Hearted! You're such a tease Bishop!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I might just dive and bottle hunt in port townsend, since thats where the air shop is
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

H20doctor wrote:I might just dive and bottle hunt in port townsend, since thats where the air shop is
You should invite that guy behind you in your avatar since he likes to bottle hunt too. :smt064
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Jeff Pack wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
If you are really wanting to dive more I would suggest you check the current tables for Admiralty Inlet and see if you can work in a dive at Pt. Hudson in Port Townsend. If the currents aren't favorable the Comet in Port Hadlock might be an other option.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

renoun wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
If you are really wanting to dive more I would suggest you check the current tables for Admiralty Inlet and see if you can work in a dive at Pt. Hudson in Port Townsend. If the currents aren't favorable the Comet in Port Hadlock might be an other option.
I have an xscooter.. I dont care about current.. Suka DJ
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Port Townsend, did you say???

But, that is not a good day at all to be diving around here unassisted...you'd be blown right out to sea. Its nearly an eight foot exchange either way that day.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

well, sounds like its just a saturday deal'io then.

kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

So what's the latest actual count for people coming Saturday March 24th? As far as I can gather it was

1. Jeff Pack
2. H20Doctor
3. Dr.Putz
4. CoulterBoy (maybe)

However now it looks like Dr. Putz and Jeff are looking at other diving around the sound. Haven't heard from CoulterBoy, so just curious who is actually committed to being up there Saturday.

P.S. Dove Lake Crescent Sunday and the water is 44 degrees right now from top to bottom (or at least as far as were going, bottom is relative). If the air temperatures are in the 30's/40's it will make for a cold cold day if you're looking at 3+ dives. I'm willing to do one legit dive, and then the second where I play with weight. I"m not interesteed in a couple more hours of hypothermia induction.
Last edited by kitsapdiver on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Justin and I are gonna stay local

coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Much to my dismay, cause I really want to do it, I'm not gonna be able to make it on this dive.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?