Thinking about moving to WA - where is the good diving?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Re: Thinking about moving to WA - where is the good diving?

Post by GreatLakesWreckDiver »

Shoot...you telling me I would have to buy another scuba related toy :partydance:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dusty mentioned the dive shop in Port Townsend as being a place to visit. I think he is selling the community short, Port Townsend is a place worth visiting period and somewhere that has a distinct character compared to Squim which is more in the domain of sprawl and strip malls. It is one of the oldest communities in the state (was the location of the first customs house) and still has a strong connection to maritime history with some the region's most capable shipwrights and specialty trades to support building wooden boats and repairing the traditional wooden ships. It is located closer to year round diving than further West.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

renoun wrote:Dusty mentioned the dive shop in Port Townsend as being a place to visit. I think he is selling the community short, Port Townsend is a place worth visiting period and somewhere that has a distinct character compared to Squim which is more in the domain of sprawl and strip malls. It is one of the oldest communities in the state (was the location of the first customs house) and still has a strong connection to maritime history with some the region's most capable shipwrights and specialty trades to support building wooden boats and repairing the traditional wooden ships. It is located closer to year round diving than further West.
Didn't want to push to hard, besides the weather was mentioned as a factor and port Townsend does have less favorable weather. It does indeed have a very unique character. The main part of town is pretty much the same as it was turn of the century, most of the building in town are pre 1900. The only fast food chain is McDonald's on the outskirts of town and there is a rather large stuck in the 60's crowd. The deer walk the streets like they own the place and can be seen all over town. The port itself is the go to place for repair and refit of wooden hulled boats and everything from turn of the century to modern boats can be seen under repair there year round. It is a very distinctly small town with a trip to Sequim required for most any real shopping. All of this can be good and bad depending on what you are looking for but I could cheerfully live there full time. The east side is just a ferry ride or two away, the only good dive shop on the west side is there. Not to mention my favorite dive site and the traffic is way better than the other side of the sound. It could be great if you are willing to live life in the slow lane. It is sort of like living on an island.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Is the weather really that much different between Sequim and Port Townsend? I actually live in Appleton (but no one knows where that is...30 miles south or Green Bay). There are slight weather difference between Appleton and Green Bay because of the bay, but in general, I would say they are about the same weather here. Guess I expected the same with Sequim and Port Angeles / Port Townsend.

Our tentative plan is to arrive before noon on Halloween and check out the east side of the Sound and then take a ferry across and stay overnight somewhere. Friday we will be checking out Port Townsend (including the dive shop) and Sequim and visiting with my wife's friend out there. Saturday we will be heading over to Port Angeles and maybe do a little site seeing but need to get back to Seattle for an early Sunday morning flight back to Milwaukee. If it fits into anyone's schedule and you want to meet for a drink to discuss diving or the area - let me know and we can arrange something.

I should say that where I live in Appleton - any decent diving is about 1.5 - 2.5 hours away. That is one reason I want to find a place to live that I can have easier access to diving. Sounds like it is about the same out there as far as wreck diving goes. Anything decent is a boat ride and I don't mind that. I just want decent shore diving in under an hour drive so it can be done at the spur of the moment.

Oh - thanks for bringing up the local amenities. I have to admit that I am used to being able to run down to the local big box store with a 10 minute drive. I've lived out in the boonies before where it was a major trip to head into town. Can't say that I would want to go back to something like that. Just looking for something in between. Of course I need to see what the job market is like out there.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yes the weather can be that different. We have a couple of factors that effect the weather dramatically. One is the puget sound convergence zone the other is the rain shadow effect. Off course being on or near the water is always an issue. What pretty much controls all these issues is the Olympic mountain range which is on the peninsula right next to sequim. These are very tall and massive and since most of our winter weather comes from the south or south west they split the winter storms and tend to protect Sequim while funneling the winds and weather around them to Port Townsend which is exposed out on the tip of the peninsula. They dominate our weather and cause lots of interesting things like the area west of port Angeles being one of the wettest in the US. You can read this article to help understand what I am saying. It does a great job of showing the effects of the mountains on the western Washington weather. http://www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4306427.html If you pull up Goggle maps and look at the peninsula it is easy to see why the big difference in weather.

As far as big box stores Sequim has them as does Silverdale and Poulsbo All 3 of which are about the same distance from Port Townsend. Port Angeles also depends on Sequim for the big box stores.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Dusty2 wrote:You can read this article to help understand what I am saying. It does a great job of showing the effects of the mountains on the western Washington weather. http://www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4306427.html If you pull up Goggle maps and look at the peninsula it is easy to see why the big difference in weather.
That is a wild weather pattern. As I am sure you are all aware - the mid-eastern area of WI is relatively flat and in the 500' above sea level range so although we do get some strange weather patterns but to the large body of inland water of Lake Winnebago and of course the bay of Green Bay - we don't see anything like that. We can watch storms split around the bodies of water or create water spouts in the right conditions, but if we see clouds going in two different directions as those videos showed...we are headed for shelter because it isn't too uncommon for a tornado to be coming somewhere close.

Good to know there are some of the big box stores on the west side. Looking forward to the trip out there. I haven't been out there since '91 but have always wanted to go back. Know an actual move out there is still a ways out. This is really a prospecting trip but I want to be as prepared as I can be.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

We spent a couple days in Port Townsend. Had an interview for a job there. Very nice area. Don't think I have ever met people so friendly and I thought WI was a friendly place! Spent about an hour at the scuba shop. Great folks there. Sounds like there is some great diving and they do fun dives once or twice a month. Also heard there are some good dive spots I can get to with my 12' Zodiac. Now we have to see if things fall in place.

We did go over to Sequim as well. Although it was a bigger city, it wasn't really what we were looking for. Port Angeles sounds pretty depressed right now so that one was ruled out as a place to move to.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hope things work out for you. I did say Port Townsend was unique. You don't find all that many places where the deer walk down the street like they own it and people know each other. I seldom make a trip to Safeway where I don't see people hugging and talking animatedly like they haven't seen each other for years. It is a cool place with a pretty unique atmosphere and not all that far from amenities. If you can find steady work it could be a great place to live.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Dusty2 wrote:Hope things work out for you. I did say Port Townsend was unique. You don't find all that many places where the deer walk down the street like they own it
Thanks and you are so right. I had to take a picture of a doe and her two yearlings Walking down Water St. Of course here in WI it is bow season and all I could think about was venison... Does that make me a bad person?

I was pumped to hear about all the diving opportunities. Definitely would have a learning curve with tides. Sea life sounds excellent around there.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lots of life and lots of spots to dive. Both in the sound and Hood canal. Plenty of spots for that zodiac especially in the hood. As for life all you have to do is look at my photo site. Most of it comes from there.

I am afraid you would not win any friends taking a deer in PT. That is why they are so tame. Wouldn't be very fair. They are more like pets than game.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

lol... met someone from Sequim, said they had moved there about 7yrs prior (this was maybe 5-6yrs) and they had yet to see any snow. Where as, the outer surrounding area always get snow.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Dusty2 wrote: I am afraid you would not win any friends taking a deer in PT. That is why they are so tame. Wouldn't be very fair. They are more like pets than game.
I figured as much. Hoping there is some deer hunting in the area though.

Good to hear the Zodiac will get use out there. Works well for two divers.

It is getting ready to snow already here in WI. Stay of 5 months of winter.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

KneeDeep wrote:lol... met someone from Sequim, said they had moved there about 7yrs prior (this was maybe 5-6yrs) and they had yet to see any snow. Where as, the outer surrounding area always get snow.
Sequim gets snow every year, they must not have looked out their window for a few days. We always have at least one snow a year... it would be a rare year not to have a dusting. It doesn't last too long. NOTHING like you are used to.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

We did experience the clouds and rain out there. Want bad. Actually was exactly the same in WI. Few weeks and the difference will show. Our typical snow storm is 3-4" with the good storms bringing 8-12". A dusting out there would be a welcome sight :) I am sure the snow blower will be left back here in WI.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For sure you won't need it in PT. It is rare to have snow last for more than a few hours before melting off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Port Townsend's a nice place for sure ... another option might be Bainbridge Island. There's local diving ... and lots of diving options within easy driving distance. It's a VERY nice community, and it's a short ferry ride to Seattle ... if you do walk-on it doesn't even cost that much and it drops you off literally downtown.

I work in Tacoma and live in Federal Way ... about 10 miles north of Tacoma. I've got a very nice dive site five minutes from my house, bunches of them within 30 minutes or less driving time, and my commute ... about 11 miles to work in the morning ... typically takes me about 15 minutes, because I'm going against the flow of traffic. My biggest commuting worry is watching my speed so I don't get a ticket. It's a pretty sweet setup, altogether.

Point being, I suppose, that there's plenty of ways to get around the traffic jams we're famous for out here ... just spend some time looking at where most folks live and where they work ... then figure out a way to be going the other direction.

As for wrecks ... we've got some in Lake Washington. Most are below recreational depths, but not all. The ones that aren't are easily accessible with a 12-foot zodiac (most of the year ... when the wind's not blowing). They're not, by any stretch, like those freighters, etc that I saw in the Great Lakes ... but to my concern the big attraction to diving out here's the critters in the Sound anyway. The wrecks are more of a thing to do just for some variety from time to time.

Best news is it's a real active diving community. No matter where you go, finding folks to dive with won't be much of a problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Great to hear Bob. Know my wife wants to stock in the rain shadow area. That is why we were looking at the northern Olympic Peninsula. Good to know there are other options to avoid traffic on case things don't pan out with PT.

I've realized very few places compare to the wrecks in the great lakes but that just means there is a whole new underwater world for me to explore.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

In fresh water you don't have much choice in what to dive for. There ain't much there other than wrecks. But there are wrecks in nearby BC and it ain't that hard getting there. They are a lot different due to all the life on them and there is current to factor in. One big bonus is you can dive year round without cutting holes in the ice! :nutty: Like the lakes PT does get windy in the winter months but doesn't have the cold temps you guys are used to.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Wish I could honestly say I will miss the ice diving, but....I am glad I did it for the experience.

My wife will love all the sea life on the dives. Wrecks do nothing for her.

Now I just need to get a job out there.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good luck, Hope it works out for you.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

if you want any other info on PT area, I've lived in Port Ludlow/Port Townsend since '89 so I might be able to help answer some of your questions... just PM me
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:Wish I could honestly say I will miss the ice diving, but....I am glad I did it for the experience.

My wife will love all the sea life on the dives. Wrecks do nothing for her.

Now I just need to get a job out there.
... so what kind of job are you looking for? The Pugetropolis area's better for employment than a lot of other parts of the country right now ... maybe someone can point you in the right direction ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Looks like I will be accepting an IT position at the hospital in Port Townsend. Family is pretty excited about the opportunity.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:Looks like I will be accepting an IT position at the hospital in Port Townsend. Family is pretty excited about the opportunity.
Congrads. I think you'll find Port Townsend to have quite a small town touristy feel. There's diving right out your door on the town dock, and within a few hours dive as well.

Some "giant" wrecks right off Port Townsend, but being under the shipping lanes in one of the most current wracked places on the West Coast, plus >200 ft deep, makes them pretty serious dives which only get done a few times a year.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

After meeting with the dive shop owner when we were out there, I am not too stuck on ship wreck diving there. I got spoiled on that in the great lakes. Now out is time to go for marine life I think.

We have a community very similar to Port Townsend. It is called Sturgeon Bay. In the hey day, was known for its military ship building. Now it is very touristy. Winters are horrible there though. Think we are really going to like PT.