The Amazing Sitka Adventure

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

The Amazing Sitka Adventure

Post by H20doctor »

4443030566_a627105196.jpg
to be continued .......
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: The Amazing Sitka Adventure

Post by Tom Nic »

Looks like Keith is "assuming the position"! Glad to see that there is a little bit of relaxation going on.

Nice to see a very few of Dave's bottles. There may be a better bottle collection out there somewhere, but I've never seen it.

Thanks for doing the running report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Few bottles last night....
Attachments
IMG_9821.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Closer view.....
Attachments
IMG_9822.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

It is fun! We went treasure hunting last night and I found the porcelin beer bottle and some other. It is interesting reading some of Daves books and seeing what some of these bottles are worth. There is a market for old bottles,,who da thunk?
Getting the gear back into the truck from our dive last night...we were greeted by a young lady who was celebrating St Pattys day, and by the smell of her breath I think she may have been celebrating New Years, her birthday, Fourth of July, and a few other holidays. So after she shoved Chris around, slurred her words tried to get in the truck, almost smashing the eggs I just bought we were able to distract her enough to escape. Off to Daves for some beerz, talk, and sleep. Twas a good first night. Just finished eating breakfast and now time to plan the day.

I almost forgot. I saw some of the biggest Nudis I have ever seen. I mean one hooded Nudi had a hood the size of 10" NO JOKE. Also some white lined Dironas that were 6 to 8 inches long. Amazing

Rick
Attachments
Pic1 Alasak 009.JPG
Last edited by Norris on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

We went out into the Harbor last night and went Bottle hunting ... It was quite exciting to see the stuff down on the floor ... Broken plates dating from the early 1920 .. And Bottles ... Lots of them.. I didn't take my video set up last night as we just got into town and just wanted to get wet.. The dendroids here are Huge and there are some really Nice Red ones.. I will update as Norris has a full Laptop Here ...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ... Yes there was a very very drunk Resident last night , who shoved me 3x .. I kept saying " Hey .. Your domestic Voilencing Me !! " :supz: .. Then she Hopped into daves truck, and wouldn't. Get Out!!! She almst broke our eggs for breakfast.. She Had a BAC 4.2 !!! I assume. LOL .. :clap:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This thread is going to be NWDC version of family vacation!

I can't wait to hear what happens next.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

H20doctor wrote:Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ... Yes there was a very very drunk Resident last night , who shoved me 3x .. I kept saying " Hey .. Your domestic Voilencing Me !! " :supz: .. Then she Hopped into daves truck, and wouldn't. Get Out!!! She almst broke our eggs for breakfast.. She Had a BAC 4.2 !!! I assume. LOL .. :clap:

I didn't realize you guys brought Joe along :penelope:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

H20doctor wrote:Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ... Yes there was a very very drunk Resident last night , who shoved me 3x .. I kept saying " Hey .. Your domestic Voilencing Me !! " :supz: .. Then she Hopped into daves truck, and wouldn't. Get Out!!! She almst broke our eggs for breakfast.. She Had a BAC 4.2 !!! I assume. LOL .. :clap:
So if you want the real story about all this....
After all the commotion, Keith's diversion worked and noone was the wiser to know what was really going on back at Dave's place:
keith sitka Edited.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Last edited by mz53480 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

mz53480 wrote:
So if you want the real story about all this....
After all the commotion, Keith's diversion worked and noone was the wiser to know what was really going on back at Dave's place:

Keith, when you get back...just know that we're here for you if you want help.
(it's ok, you can deny it but we still love you)
My kids are asking me why I'm laughing so hard...... I had to close the laptop! :goodpost:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

day 2 .. well after a short night of sleep it was time to wake and start another day up here in sitka ... with some good brkfst from Norris , eggs and bacon wraps , we filled up tanks and headed for the docks our first dive was just outside the Harbor at Mcnaughty Rock.... we Putted out of the harbor and i snapped these shots of the View ...
4444449081_9fe9c798b1.jpg
this is the main bridge in downtown overlooking the Harbor
4445220394_3b5a8f8bda.jpg
we arrived at the dive site and got the anchor set ... we got set and splashed in , down the line to bottom and The VIS here IS INSANE !! today was atleast 80 Plus.. This site is a Pinnacle and at the top is 20 feet dropping to ? We were on large cliff structure that wrapped around to adjoining rocks... there were Large groups of black rocks , and Vermillion hiding in cracks and crevs.. We saw some goodsize lings today , along with Kelp greenlings zipping and darting... I hit 78 feet and Had to realize that I was there ... But yet I could see everyone far Off .. this was my first time being in such Crisp , clear Vis... we made our way around the Face of the rocks , and I kept seeing and taking in the sites of coraline algae growing all over this place... Lots and Lots of macro growth covering the rock.. Being in the surge today was also cool .. being moved 20 feet forward and then pushed back ... really a blast ... the Dendroids are simply Huge up here and evertime i see them i have to stop and gasp at their size... Here is some Nudi shots from today
4445221148_1bd12ae6b1.jpg
4444450021_a75e57cbc8.jpg
we found this poor guy today also ... he was on his way to the big sea in the sky ... Norris Is upside down
4444451537_01f0fb74e1.jpg
4445224078_1a3be232de.jpg
toward the end of the dive This stuff was growing in clumps like fluffly Cotton Balls...
4445222002_8cf880fcbb.jpg
oops and this guy too ...
4445222558_a3c0496c38.jpg
for you video peeps i shot prob a good 30 mins of the Goods.. Lots of lush macro .. But i will have to wait till I get back for editing and posting... I am also amazed at how much water i have to drink to stay hydrated with all the dives today ..... we are going to dive the breakwater tomorrow and we will see lots of wolfies and Octo's , Dave has a couple of resident wolfies here who are very friendly and used to being feed and pampered by him... there is also some Huge Warbonetts here as well ... Goodnight NWDC...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Mz .... funny as hell buddy , you had us Laughing all the way up here in Sitka :biggrin: :biggrin:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'm going next time.......I will save up a lot of leave and go up there with yall. When is the next outing?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

At Bassman's request, and after a PM to MZ, I'm editing out the, ahem, "re-worked" pics from this thread due to who will be following it. Everyone got a laugh, and this isn't being "moderated"... I'm sure MZ would have done it himself but Keith's phone call, their computer access and mine didn't all align. Appreciate everyone's understanding.

Happy for you guys in Sitka and hating you all at the same time... :bye: :computersmash:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Dashrynn wrote:I'm going next time.......I will save up a lot of leave and go up there with yall. When is the next outing?
I think that being invited would be the first step....... :sunny:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well as we wait and get ready for todays adventure i will post some of Daves Bottles ...I guess back in the early days when the sailors came to town and the merchants ... they would come into port , unload.. buy and restock with the ships with goods and supplies and then travel to the next Port destination... as they visited Ports they often disposed of Stuff.. bottles.. dishes.. etc..etc...etc.. By throwing it in the Harbor... So over the years dave have found some amazing Bottles ... these first 2 bottles arre woth 3K each
4446091368_ce7aeeb9af_o.jpg
4446091470_cc65e007f3_o.jpg
So back in the day of early bottle making and Glass production the early bottle have a Blob top ...
4446091642_cd9f2ea04f_o.jpg
Here is a shot of the window of Daves smaller Bottles
4446092756_ac7db31075.jpg
and here is another fine collection
4445318551_1bf6a86490.jpg
these I call Torpedo bottles
4445320171_5dff188f75.jpg
and These are really Cool
4445319693_e244c321c6.jpg
So there ya Have it ... I know there are some divers Here that collect bottles , If i find anything Interesting up here on one of our scavenger hunt i will Bring them back for sale to you guys ... :laugh: Untill our next update ... be safe and go dive
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that's an awesome bottle collection. what uses did the round-bottom "torpedo" bottles fulfill?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dave's bottles are pretty amazing. The ones pictured are only a small part of them.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

spatman wrote:that's an awesome bottle collection. what uses did the round-bottom "torpedo" bottles fulfill?
The round bottom bottles were water bottles and were carried in the bottom of the ships for ballast. Also the blob top bottles were early bottles before they developed the technology to mold the bottles in one piece. The bottles were blown into a mold by the glass blowers then the blow pipe was cut away and the top was applied over the bottle neck.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm.... no updates.

This could be dive exhaustion.

This could be no one wanting to write anything.

This is me wondering....
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well we worked yesterday here ... Did a Job for diver dive on a Tour Boat that has glass bottom viewing windows... After that we dove in the Harbor on a search Mission for a 750 pound anchor... Well we found it , and made 400.00 for the Captian and his boat ... So No diving yesterday .. Just work for us divers
Today we did a wreck dive on a 50 foot fishing Trawler , and right next to it was another 35 foot sail boat .. I will update a full post when we get back next week.. Tomorrow we are going to dive another Atoll , and a Possibly the breakwater ... Our second dive today was More Bottle hunting off of the south side of the Harbor , the old merchant dock that is gone now ...
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I don't know what they are doing...
Hopefully having a full day of diving and are worn out!!! I just wanna know when the next trip is!!!
I wanna go...badly!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

H20doctor wrote:Well we worked yesterday here ... Did a Job for diver dive on a Tour Boat that has glass bottom viewing windows... After that we dove in the Harbor on a search Mission for a 750 pound anchor... Well we found it , and made 400.00 for the Captian and his boat ... So No diving yesterday .. Just work for us divers
i guess you have to pay for lodging and air fills somehow...

i hope you guys have good dives today!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Today was phenominal! We did this place called Mcnaughtys and did two dives. It must have been 60 debgrees and the sun was shining. We had a humpback whale come right by the boat and breach twice and once with tail. Well of course none of us were that close to our cameras and got no shots. So you can choose not to believe that story as I dont have proof.

I was able to get some amazing pictures and we were in a cool surge. Back and forth...watching the kelp beds sway and I was able to get some great video. The viz would have had to be 60 to 80 feet and the water was really only about 41 degrees. Saw many china rockfish and other rockfish species I had not seen before. Seen a Pacific King Crab and many many nudis. It was a great dive and I am about to go through some pictures. I hope to get some up tonight.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**