Corking out of a submarine

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Corking out of a submarine

Post by Sockmonkey »

Check out this silly article and video about a submarine rescue training tower in Groton CT.

This looks a bit like my first 20 dives in a drysuit.

I guess if you have to escape out of a sinking submarine... and there's no time to call a dsrv... all you need is a big orange drysuit... and a bunch of dudes to help you out. How exactly is this supposed to help when you're stupidly deep?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Corking out of a submarine

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I don't know about stupidly deep, but supposedly it's good to around 600 ft. That's a heck of a lot better than nothing. Definitely wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for that one though.

http://www.subescapetraining.org/History3.html
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I never got to do that but I was there when they was building the contraption for training.....
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Funny that this topic came up. I just finished reading Sea dwellers : the humor, drama, and tragedy of the U.S. Navy SEALAB programs by Bob Barth. It describes the US Navy research that lead to saturation diving. Most of the early experimental divers were instructors from the sub. escape training tank. Good read but I had to get it by inter-library loan from Univ. of Connecticut since used copies seem to be starting at $75.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Booyah.

He does not SOUND okay.

I'm just sayin'
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

renoun wrote:Funny that this topic came up. I just finished reading Sea dwellers : the humor, drama, and tragedy of the U.S. Navy SEALAB programs by Bob Barth. It describes the US Navy research that lead to saturation diving. Most of the early experimental divers were instructors from the sub. escape training tank. Good read but I had to get it by inter-library loan from Univ. of Connecticut since used copies seem to be starting at $75.
On a side note Ron Ault at Hoodsport n Dive was one of the early experimental divers for the Navy. He has some amazing stories.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Free escape to the surface from 600'?? That is a marvel. I wonder how many times that has been tested? Also, wonder if the suit includes a locator device? User activated of course. Sure wouldn't want any locator device to be activated automatically.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ArcticDiver wrote:Free escape to the surface from 600'?? That is a marvel. I wonder how many times that has been tested? Also, wonder if the suit includes a locator device? User activated of course. Sure wouldn't want any locator device to be activated automatically.
i and some others could tell u but if we did, we would have to send you to sleep with the fishies :smt064 :pirate:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

In other words No or Not Operationally.

By the way I did literally sleep with the fishes, maybe not in your assumed context, when I feel asleep on a deco stop with my DiveRite Hurricanes. Crude way to awaken with a mouthful of sea water :(
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

ArcticDiver wrote:Free escape to the surface from 600'?? That is a marvel. I wonder how many times that has been tested? Also, wonder if the suit includes a locator device? User activated of course. Sure wouldn't want any locator device to be activated automatically.
Well, there was a case of people escaping from a sub 600 METERS deep, if you believe this story:

http://www.inspired-training.com/IDA59_rebreather.htm
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

ArcticDiver wrote:In other words No or Not Operationally.
By the way I did literally sleep with the fishes, maybe not in your assumed context, when I feel asleep on a deco stop with my DiveRite Hurricanes. Crude way to awaken with a mouthful of sea water :(
Folks that fall asleep on deco might want to consider being tested for sleep apnea. Wouldn't be the first diver with this problem.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Whhoops - now we are off subject :) A friend of mine was commercial diver, harvester here in Puget Sound, and he tells stories of spending his deco asleep. Surface supplied, not sure if he was full face or not.

And yes, he has sleep apnea.

He said the surface tender would cut off his air supply momentarily to tell him to move to his next scheduled deco stop. It is a weird, but very reliable source story. Imagine what would happen when you are the tender with lots of free time. Stories include when the tender would fart into the compressor.

I won't complain about shop air any more.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.